Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eating local
Posted by: Haida ()
Date: February 25, 2009 07:28PM

I have been thinking about this...How to eat locally and vegan raw? I think ultimately (aside from absorbing nutrition from the sun/breath) we should probably eat locally. In the warmer climates I can understand, when I lived in Florida it was easy, but here in the northeast USA what would I eat between fall and spring? Any insight?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eating local
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 25, 2009 07:51PM

next to impossible to do this in a healthy raw way i'm afraid. i just do the best i can with each choice.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 25, 2009 07:58PM

Right. You may NOT have local produce available year-round...or at all. You can check for various sources in your area...and do the best you can. I still live in Florida...so it's not a problem here.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 26, 2009 02:47AM

I think eating food grown in different soils is a good thing because different fields in different communities have different minerals in them.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: February 26, 2009 01:50PM

I'm in New England and have been thinking a lot about this. I actually just finished Barbara Kingsolver's book and am starting my own farm with my hubby. I think that this year I'm going to try really hard to work on this more -- creating a root cellar in my basement to store carrots and other root veggies, cabbage, winter squash, apples, pears, etc. My hubby and I are going to expand our greenhouse production capability as well. He is a huge Elliot Coleman (four seasons gardening guru who lives in Maine) fan and is very tenacious. Right now we are harvesting arugula out of our living room and have started lots of other things in the living room and in our greenhouse. Our kale lasted until after Christmas, and we've been digging up carrots all winter out of the greenhouse, whenever the ground thaws enough for us to do so. I know that as long as one of us works in a co-op and can get culled oranges from Fla. (and Mangoes!!!), we aren't turning it down though -- gotta have that vit. C!

Date: March 11, 2009 12:23PM

Sundancer - that is awesome! I tried last spring to do an indoor garden ( live in an apartment), it did not do well. I am heartbroken, but will try again this year. Growing arugula from your living room! That is what I am striving for.

Haida

Date: March 11, 2009 12:37PM

Keep trying, and go to the library -- they have lots of gardening resources. I had a "porch farm" once -- tomatoes, basil and other herbs and flowers growing in barrels and planters on my porch because I didn't have a yard at the time. Even when I was living in my car I had plants growing! A true gypsy!

Date: March 11, 2009 02:00PM

ok. What did you grow from your car?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 11, 2009 04:30PM

a friend of mine grew tomatoes in the backseat of her car this last summer smiling smiley she parks ina full sun parking lot all day and grew them in pots back there .. it was like a greenhouse on wheels smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: March 12, 2009 01:14AM

Try sprouts. The sproutman lives in Mass. and eats mostly sprouts (green, bean and sprouted grain bread) grown in his kitchen garden.
www.sproutman.com He talks about it here.

Date: March 12, 2009 08:20AM

Hi Jgunn

a friend of mine grew tomatoes in the backseat of her car this last summer smiling smiley she parks ina full sun parking lot all day and grew them in pots back there .. it was like a greenhouse on wheels smiling smiley

I wonder if anyone is using their open bed or canopy pickup truck as a "meal on wheels" ?

Date: March 12, 2009 08:42AM

I just googled pickup truck garden and here's one: [www.flickr.com]

Date: March 12, 2009 12:20PM

I just grew houseplants in my car. But yeah, try sprouts too.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 12, 2009 03:12PM

I'm a 100% low-fat raw vegan, and I also eat local. But I live in southern California. I don't eat bananas, mango, etc. I eat local stuff: dates, persimmon, etc. In colder climates, this wouldn't be possible in the winter.

I feel good saving the environment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables