Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ripe or Unripe?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 07, 2012 04:41PM

I was explaining my raw diet to a middle eastern friend of mine, the nutritional content, the difficulty of procuring raw/unpasteurized/unroasted nuts, etc and he asked me if I was eating the nuts unripe and green or ripe and brown? Apparently eating unripe produce is very popular in the middle east:
[www.theatlantic.com]

Although I've seen unripe nuts before (on trees, not for sale), it simply never occurred to me that one might try to eat them. I think most of us have eaten unripe juicy fruit before (at least by accident). But now me and my friend are wondering about the nutritional differences between ripe and unripe produce (nuts, juicy fruits, etc):
-Which is healthier (ripe or unripe)?
-Are some types of produce more nutritious ripe while others are more nutritious unripe?
-Does it add nutritional diversity to eat both ripe and unripe versions of the same produce?

If anyone can guide me to a source of information on this subject (or if you can share your knowledge) I'd be greatly appreciative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 04:43PM by ExperimentsWithTruth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ripe or Unripe?
Date: June 07, 2012 08:50PM

I found this article which claims that the only nutritional difference between ripe/unripe bananas is that the ripe ones have more sugar whereas the unripe ones have more starch:
[www.livestrong.com]

I guess it would be similar for other high carb produce, but what would the analogue be for nuts since they're low in carbs? For some reason nuts seem to be less studied (even with regard to inhibitors) than other foods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 08:51PM by ExperimentsWithTruth.

Re: Ripe or Unripe?
Date: June 07, 2012 08:54PM

I've had green almonds before, very juicy and tasty.

[www.specialtyproduce.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables