Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chimps' Eating Habits
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: February 28, 2009 07:22AM

Why do people do greens in the morning? Is there a source for this, like was it mentioned in a book or something? I was reading one of the current hot books for greens eating, Victoria Boutenko's, "Green for Life", and she says that chipanzees eat mostly fruit in the morning and then take a siesta and then eat greens in the afternoon until 3 or 4 pm.

A generation ago it was Ann Wigmore who was promoting greens and she started off her day with watermellon if it was available. So I think I can rule those two people out as sources for people doing greens in the morning.

A quote from "Green for Life":
[www.hcgfatloss.com]
"Another striking characteristic aspect the chimpanzee eating pattern is that they never eat in the late afternoon or evening. Chimpanzees wake up very early, at the first light of dawn. After leaving their nests, they groom each other for a few minutes and then begin searching for food. Chimpanzees have to work hard in order to get their food, climbing many trees or searching through numerous low shrubs. Most often they feed on fruit in the morning and a little bit on leaves. After about four hours, they take a break for an hour or two, playing, or sleeping in the sun. Then the chimps resume feeding, eating mostly greens until about three or four o'clock in the afternoon, after which they groom and prepare their nests for the night sleep."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chimps' Eating Habits
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: February 28, 2009 09:11AM

i think in 8-1-1 you are supposed to eat fruit in the morning and greens at night?

i don't think everyone eats greens in the morning.

personally i find greens to be too grounding for the morning time. i like them in the evening much more. i don't generally crave them in the morning.

someone told me one time that when chimps eat bananas they eat them from the butt instead of the stem cuz it is easier to open that way. i was like no way, and then i started eating them that way, too! I like to eat the banana from the butt way more. it is so true it's so much more easy to open that way. it seems like it would be easier from the stem though because it's like a little opener handle, but it's opposite.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 28, 2009 12:24PM

I always eat fruit in the morning because i need the calories then. Greens just wouldn't do it for me. Also i like to sit down to a big salad in the evening when i like to spend more time eating.

Posted by: shane ()
Date: February 28, 2009 04:40PM

Victoria Boutenko is probably a really sweet lady, and she's written a popular book. But in my humble opinion she really over-simplifies troglodyte eating habits.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 28, 2009 05:40PM

>A generation ago it was Ann Wigmore who was promoting greens and she started off her day with watermellon if it was available. So I think I can rule those two people out as sources for people doing greens in the morning.<

I have a friend who used to work at the Boston Hippocrates Institute in the kitchen with Ann Wigmore for many years. (This was probably during the '70s and '80s, possibly the early '90s.) She says that Ann Wigmore at some point became a fruitarian and wouldn't eat anything but fruit. One day she tried to offer Ann some non-fruit dish that was being prepared in the kitchen, and Ann refused, saying, "You know, my dear, I'm a fruitarian now!" I know this person pretty well and have no reason to doubt her, but most people have no idea that Ann Wigmore's nutritional concepts changed so radically, going against her own purported beliefs.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2009 05:41PM by kwan.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: March 01, 2009 07:07AM

kwan, that's an awesome story, thanks for sharing. I wonder, if she had lived longer, if she would have written a book about fruitarianism. I did check out her last book, "The Blending Book" published after her death, to see what she was telling people to eat then, and although there are a lot of fruit recipes there were also nut and greens recipes.

F1, excuse me, L1, would love the book, she says to blend 70% of your food!

Speaking of blended foods and green smoothies, I love this pic, it was captioned "Igor Boutenko enjoys a small green smoothie after a brisk morning swim." So I guess that the Boutenko's do eat greens in the morning.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 01, 2009 07:18AM

One thing I have experienced about living the raw lifestyle is that it's never stagnant. It changes as the body changes. Who knows maybe next year I might be a fruitarian ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables