Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

8am-12pm Proper combining of Raw Fruits
Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: February 28, 2009 03:50PM

Okay, so as many her eknow I have ulcerative colitis.
Well even on the medications Ive been on after gteting out of the hospital, my symptoms are starting to return, OR the medicines arent working as properly..

So Ive eliminated all processed foods and meats AGAIN.

yesterday I spent hours andhours upon research geared towards proper food combining.
I read david kliens book Again, researched a MLM company called Sunrider foods (they actually have good nutrional advice aside from there scam of marketing)

I went to the grocery store and got a new line of fruits and veggies.

Now, my inflammation as I said is much better, the bleeding has stopped becuase of the medicines I am on.

Now I am scheduling a new eating diet.
From 8am to atleast 12pm I will only eat raw fruits that are beneficial to Ulcerative colitis, and not irritating to a raw and sensitive colon.

Now starting today, right now I have these fruits to work with, I would love some advice on PROPER ways to eat these fruits, how long to wait between eating, wich ones to eat first, wich to eat last, and as i said times between eating them... I do have a problem here, cus I love to eat, and becuase of the medicines i am on, it completely stimulates my appetite, so eating as much of them as I can to be full is needed...

The fruits I have are...

banana, baby bananas, soaked dates, dried figs, papaya, apples, apricots, pears,
coconut water,

now, after 12 or noon, or when ever I feel ready I will be drinking a couple glasses of Veggie juice fresh juiced. I have cabbage, carrots, cucumuber, celeryand I may go buy more fresh spinach.

Now the cooked foods I will still be eating wich will only make a small percent of my diet, around the mid afternoon / evening ending my fruit eating but including lots of romaine salad (Ive found I can handle this with no negetive symptoms)
I have raw almonds, sprouted lentils, avocados, buckwheat, millet, sweet potatoe, yams, tofu / tempeh, brown basmati rice, oatmeal. Also I have sprouted mung bean sprouts, soaked roasted flax seads aswell..

So with this sort of shopping list, along with proper food combining..
Could people give me some advice in wich direction to go?

I want to stop eating by 8 or 9pm, but still be full..
Also wish to understand the best way to eat the cooked foods, wich as I said wont be an enormous part of my diet...

Does this seem accurate aswell?
acid fruits - 20 - 30mins
sub acid 30 to 40 mins
and sweet fruits 40 to 60 mins?

4hours for starchs
and 6hours for fatty foots?

and wait an hour after any fruit?

Thank you friends, hope I can get some good info here and start my second off clean.

Yesterday I started this mid day, but I already noticed lack of symptoms as far as discomfort and bowel pain. I woke up this morning with NO abdominal pain, and much more comfortable bowel, so Ithink Im on the right track with this proper digestion..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8am-12pm Proper combining of Raw Fruits
Date: February 28, 2009 07:24PM

Gee thanks for the help, I was really expecting some interesting feed back.. :[
I = sad panda.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 28, 2009 07:59PM

Dried fruits are harder to digest than fresh fruits. Perhaps soaking them will help, but fresh is the best.

For me, apples and pears are hard to digest. I can eat one apple or one pear with no problems, but if I eat 3 or more it hurts my stomach.

Mono eating is the best for digestion. That is, eating only one kind of fruit in a meal. So a meal of 5 bananas is much easier to digest than a meal of a banana, baby banana, dried fig, and papaya.

The simpler the meal, the easier it is to digest. Same for cooked foods.

For your cooked foods, can you mono eat those foods, without spices and condiments?

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 28, 2009 08:14PM

"and wait an hour after any fruit"

Hi herbalgerbals
It sounds like you've done your homework. Just keep in mind those food combining guidelines are approximate. A smoothie with greens, fruit and flax might take 2 or more hours, longer if you are on the go or otherwise stressed.

I remember you saying you juiced A LOT when setting out to juice fast before. I wondered how much exactly. Just because you have a tendancy to go "one better", so if we say bananas are good, you might eat a TON of them? Know what I mean? It sounds like you have a LOT of good food on hand, and you say you like to eat, it seems discussing qauntities would be good. What do you think?

Also, foods like grapes can be acid or sweet depending... the fruits you bought sound seet and good to me.

Your starchier choices, "raw almonds, sprouted lentils, avocados, buckwheat, millet, sweet potatoe, yams, tofu / tempeh, brown basmati rice, oatmeal", well you know, all take longer to digest, and some need cooking.

I've had painful inflammation before, but was never diagnosed. Be well, brad

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 28, 2009 08:26PM

I find any sprouts impossible to digest and flax seeds are agony. My stomach trebles insize and hurts beyond anything but then loads of people are fine with these.

I think fruit in the morning is the best way to go - apples can be a bit tricky for me. Like Bryan, one is ok, more is dodgy.

I also find nuts and seeds can make my gut bloat and cause pain. I am honestly best on fresh fruit and veggies and not much else. Sadly i get sidetracked from time to time and then i regret it !!

best of luck

p.s i'm not sure on the best combinations so i haven't answered your question exactly - just put down some of my experiences - hope it's useful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2009 08:28PM by flipperjan.

Date: February 28, 2009 08:33PM

Thank you guys for the responses.

I soaked the dates over night, and Ive been soaking my roasted flaxsee aswell..

So far this morning I hate a whole papaya, and 2 apricots..

My plan is to wait an hour or so and eat a couple bananas, maybe some dates?

I know last time ate an apple deskinned, or a pear, I noticed my stomach bothered me. So Im hoping to try it again, and see how it reacts?

Just for my info, whats the difference between baby banana and a bigger banana?

As far as cooked meals go.. so far, I eat sprouted bread with almond butter,
or I eat oatmeal with soaked flaxseed, or sliced almonds that I put in the pot during the end of the cooking of the oatmeal...

As far as rice goes, Im unsure if I could eat it with sweet potatoe or yams? Or should I just eat one or the other witha salad?

As far as tofu / tempeh is concerned, my tempehs ingredients says brown rice is included, tofu is a protein, so it cant be digested with rice?

And also I was concerned about the mung bean sprouts... can I mix that with tofu? or just with salad? So a salad with mung bean sprouts, carrots, tofu would make sense?

Brad, unfortunatly, my smoothie is broken so I jut have a juicer, my plan was to juice cabbage and carrots a couple times thru out the afternoon. not in to much excess, and staying away from chards, or collard greens, or kale. It was recommended not to transition to fast putting to much alkaline in an acidic body would be rally hard and stressful on my detox and could cause a lot of irritation, so thats why Im still going to include some cooked acidic foods..

As far as quantity, I juiced basically in couple hours worth the ifrst night, entire head of chard, entire head of kale, entire head of dandelion greens, etc. etc. I REALLY juiced a lot.. so I told thats what made my symptoms come on so strong,p cus my body wasnt use to the alkaline and it really irritated my colon..

While were on the topic, are juiced dandelion greens, if you know harder on a raw colon? just curious.. cus maybe Ill juice a lil and see how it works.

And yes, I tend to get carried away and go to the extreme somtimes, so if you said banas are good I may really just consume a hundred so we should talk quantity and such. But I am still concerned about calories, loosing and gaining muscle... So Im going to try to get a smoothie maker ASAP, and some hemp protein, but Im guessing I should stay away from brown rice protein?

Last thing, those starchier choices, I was reading they actually have an alkaline effect on the body after digested? such as almonds, avocado, millet, buckwheat is concerned..

Thanks again for the help, any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated!
much love.

Date: February 28, 2009 08:35PM

Yea last time I tried apples or pears I noticed discomfort.. so Im gonna try em again.. see how they do. :\

Date: February 28, 2009 10:03PM

herbalgerbals Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you guys for the responses.
>
> I soaked the dates over night, and Ive been
> soaking my roasted flaxsee aswell..
>
> So far this morning I hate a whole papaya, and 2
> apricots..
>
> My plan is to wait an hour or so and eat a couple
> bananas, maybe some dates?

....if those are foods you are well acquainted with then maybe fine?

>
> I know last time ate an apple deskinned, or a
> pear, I noticed my stomach bothered me. So Im
> hoping to try it again, and see how it reacts?

....yeah, go easy on the apples..

>
> Just for my info, whats the difference between
> baby banana and a bigger banana?

....in my neck of the woods the little ones are red and of a different species but otherwise seem similar to the common grocery store variety.

>
> As far as cooked meals go.. so far, I eat sprouted
> bread with almond butter,
> or I eat oatmeal with soaked flaxseed, or sliced
> almonds that I put in the pot during the end of
> the cooking of the oatmeal...
>
> As far as rice goes, Im unsure if I could eat it
> with sweet potatoe or yams? Or should I just eat
> one or the other witha salad?

....all are decent combos, imo.

>
> As far as tofu / tempeh is concerned, my tempehs
> ingredients says brown rice is included, tofu is a
> protein, so it cant be digested with rice?

....use a little tempeh for flavoring?

>
> And also I was concerned about the mung bean
> sprouts... can I mix that with tofu? or just with
> salad? So a salad with mung bean sprouts, carrots,
> tofu would make sense?

....to me, yes

>
> Brad, unfortunatly, my smoothie is broken so I
> jut have a juicer, my plan was to juice cabbage
> and carrots a couple times thru out the afternoon.
> not in to much excess, and staying away from
> chards, or collard greens, or kale. It was
> recommended not to transition to fast putting to
> much alkaline in an acidic body would be rally
> hard and stressful on my detox and could cause a
> lot of irritation, so thats why Im still going to
> include some cooked acidic foods..
>
> As far as quantity, I juiced basically in couple
> hours worth the ifrst night, entire head of chard,
> entire head of kale, entire head of dandelion
> greens, etc. etc. I REALLY juiced a lot.. so I
> told thats what made my symptoms come on so
> strong,p cus my body wasnt use to the alkaline and
> it really irritated my colon..
>
> While were on the topic, are juiced dandelion
> greens, if you know harder on a raw colon? just
> curious.. cus maybe Ill juice a lil and see how it
> works.

....I get by with just a juicer too, but I 'total juice' which means I often use the pulp. Drinking 16 oz of straight green juice would be a challenge to anyone's digestive system, imo, unless used to it, I'm not sure if it's the alkalinity or the nitrates or what. Kale can be irritating if using very mature leggy stalks. More tender kale or dandelion agrees with me much better. Lettuce is easy too.

>
> And yes, I tend to get carried away and go to the
> extreme somtimes, so if you said banas are good I
> may really just consume a hundred so we should
> talk quantity and such. But I am still concerned
> about calories, loosing and gaining muscle... So
> Im going to try to get a smoothie maker ASAP, and
> some hemp protein, but Im guessing I should stay
> away from brown rice protein?

....I'm not sure.

>
> Last thing, those starchier choices, I was reading
> they actually have an alkaline effect on the body
> after digested? such as almonds, avocado, millet,
> buckwheat is concerned..

....sounds reasonable to me, if they agree with you.

>
> Thanks again for the help, any and all
> recommendations are greatly appreciated!
> much love.

....by the way, I can't make any recommendations regarding UC, having no real knowledge of it, but am just saying what might work for me. love and peace, b

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 28, 2009 10:19PM

i was under the understanding that with colitis you should avoid nuts and seeds including coconut, and most fats and oils, and dried fruits and legumes .. have you found info to the contrary?

also small frequent meals instead of gorging .. also mono-eating with as little food combining as possible to make it easier to digest

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2009 10:27PM by Jgunn.

Date: February 28, 2009 11:18PM

> i was under the understanding that with colitis
> you should avoid nuts and seeds including coconut,
> and most fats and oils...

.."most fats and oils", yes.. Dietary fiber is good, and coconut oil (up to 4tbs/day?), but not so much mono, polyunsaturates or excess omega-6:

"Dietary Fat -- The amount of fat in enteral diets has been shown to affect remission rate. It is also believed that the type of fat may play a role. When a meta-analysis was performed looking at the rate of remission as compared to the amount of fat in enteral feedings, it was shown that fat content and remission rate were inversely related. But it was predominantly long-chain triglycerides that appeared to have this adverse effect. When medium-chain triglycerides were added, there was no noted adverse effect on remission rate.
The determination as to whether a triglyceride is classified as a long or short chain is based on the number of carbons the fatty acids contains. Greater than 12 carbons in a fatty acid signifies a long-chain triglyceride, and between 6 and 12 carbon atoms classifies it as a medium chain. Medium-chain triglycerides are digested and absorbed more completely than their long-chain counterparts, and are water soluble. Medium-chain triglycerides are found in coconut oil, whereas safflower and soybean oil are good sources of long-chain triglycerides.[17]
Other small studies have shown that low-fat diets and diets with medium-chain triglycerides are superior to higher fat diets in the induction and maintenance of remission.[18,19]
Case control studies have shown that ulcerative colitis may be associated with an increased intake of monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats. It has been also shown that omega-6 fatty acids are positively correlated with IBD, whereas omega-3 fatty acids are negatively correlated.[3,20] Omega-6 fatty acids are the precursor to synthesis of arachidonic acid, which is degraded into powerful mediators of inflammation by phospholipase A2.[14] However, omega-3 fatty acids compete with omega-6 fatty acids in the synthesis pathway of arachidonic acid, thereby decreasing its synthesis, and subsequently the synthesis of inflammatory mediators.
Sources of omega-3 fatty acids include fish, fish oil, algae, walnuts, leafy green vegetables, flax, and canola oils. Sources of omega-6 fatty acids include corn, soy, primrose, sunflower and safflower oils, red meat, and borage.[21,22] Various studies have shown that administration of omega-3 fatty acids has a positive effect on IBD.[3,20,22–25]"

[www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov]

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: March 01, 2009 02:27PM

Sometimes you need to let go of things, like your body. Please do not bodybuild to much, or at all when healing. I found this negative to my intestines when going to the gym. Muscles are great to build when having a healed gut, but not before.

Feel inside, you'll get the answer there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables