Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you guys really eat
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 17, 2008 03:50PM

raw courgettes?

raw broccoli? Just like that?

raw cauliflower?

Do you like the taste of those three things raw? What other vegetables do you eat raw?

I've been vegan two years because I get ill if I eat animal products. Feels wonderful. Just getting into raw food. Seems obvious to my body that a raw carrot is so much better for you and tastier than a cooked mushy one. I'm experimenting on raw at the moment and it's working pretty well, but I'm finding the taste of some vegetables raw a problem, even if after I've swallowed I can feel how cleansing they are and good for you.

Your thoughts and answers to my three questions up top GRATEFULLY RECEIVED.

Mark Alexander

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you guys really eat
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 17, 2008 03:53PM

I have eaten those foods raw before, but I never liked them without some kind of sauce or dressing. I rarely eat them nowadays. I prefer eating fruits and salad vegetables.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 17, 2008 03:55PM

hi mark

i never had courgettes and cauliflower are not my favorite

but i do LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEE broccoli and i like to drink a lot of those goodies

Date: August 17, 2008 04:16PM

I think courgette is the french word for zucchini.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: August 17, 2008 04:31PM

raw courgettes?

Yes, you shred them to make pasta.

raw broccoli? Just like that?

Yes, shredded stalks. I like to lightly steam the florets, though.

raw cauliflower?

No. I lightly steam this.

Date: August 17, 2008 04:34PM

I've had raw cauliflower used as the "rice" for a raw nori / sushi roll. The "rice" is processed cauliflower and some soaked chia seeds as a thickener to make the cauliflower stick together like rice does.

Date: August 17, 2008 04:53PM

raw courgette, aubergine etc are all nice raw

raw broccoli and cauliflower upsets my belly sometimes.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: August 17, 2008 05:13PM

raw courgette and cauliflower : only with dressings, otherwise I dont like them.

raw brocoli stem are yummy without nothing on.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 17, 2008 05:24PM

Yeah. Ate plenty. Those things are all good. No added dressing needed....but a little lemon juice, garlic & ginger can also go a long way! winking smiley It's all good.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 17, 2008 05:42PM

I like zucchini raw in salad, as a substitute for mushrooms as I don't eat mushrooms, and as raw pasta. I like raw broccoli and raw cauliflower as raw veggies for a dip like raw humus, etc. Therese

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: August 17, 2008 07:33PM

I like all those plain and raw.

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: August 17, 2008 10:16PM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them all. Just like that.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: August 18, 2008 12:01AM

I had to ease into raw broccoli. At first I would lightly cook it so the outerpart would be cooked and have taste and inside all raw. The flowerettes were disgusting, I just liked the stalks. I usually only eat the flowered part raw in a salad with dressing now. Sometimes I'm still bad with them and they become gerbil food.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: August 18, 2008 12:37AM

In the beginning of going raw, I only liked those three veggies with all kinds of sauces on them. Since I've been cutting back on fats, that eliminates a lot of the sauces I was eating.

Of those three, cauliflower is the only one I like plain. It has to be really fresh, though, or else it tastes a bit bitter to me. I actually had a few weeks when I was drawn to eating cauliflower every day. I'm done with that stage now, however.

Zucchini is used in a lot of raw recipes, but for me it almost always caused stomach upset so I didn't eat a lot of it. Now I never buy it.

I do love asparagus raw, though! When I ate it cooked, I preferred the tips best. Now that I eat it raw, I prefer the stalk, best! :-)

Lots of raw veggie love to you!

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: August 18, 2008 04:50AM

I love making broccoli salad.
Cauliflower is great as rice in nori rolls or collard wraps, also a great substitute in cous cous.
Courgettes are amazingly versatile, you can make thin noodles for pasta, or soup, or noodle wraps. You can also make thick noodles for lasagna or spanikopita. Courgettes are also great in raw bread recipes.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Date: August 18, 2008 05:23AM

oh okay courgettes are zucchini, huh?

didn't know that
cool
learned something newsmiling smiley

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: August 18, 2008 12:35PM

its weird. i used to hate raw broccoli. now i can't get enough of the stuff. i especially like the stalks versus the florettes.

and i used to hate raw OR cooked cauliflower. now i like to eat it raw.

and zucchini i always liked, and still do. but making them into "pasta" really takes the like to a whole new level!

point being, as you clean up your diet, your tastes change dramatically. just eat the raw foods you DO like and be open to trying things again once in a while to see if you've discovered a taste for them.

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: August 18, 2008 03:44PM

I don't like broccoli, cauliflower or zuccini raw. I prefer fruits. I can eat carrots, tomatoes, cucumber and red/green/yellow pepper raw. But thats it.

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: August 18, 2008 04:02PM

fruits and lettuce with the occasional other(broccoli, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper) in my dinner, all the way

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 02, 2012 08:18PM

Mark Alexander Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> raw courgettes?
>
> raw broccoli? Just like that?
>
> raw cauliflower?
>
> Do you like the taste of those three things raw?
> What other vegetables do you eat raw?
>
> I've been vegan two years because I get ill if I
> eat animal products. Feels wonderful. Just getting
> into raw food. Seems obvious to my body that a raw
> carrot is so much better for you and tastier than
> a cooked mushy one. I'm experimenting on raw at
> the moment and it's working pretty well, but I'm
> finding the taste of some vegetables raw a
> problem, even if after I've swallowed I can feel
> how cleansing they are and good for you.
>
> Your thoughts and answers to my three questions up
> top GRATEFULLY RECEIVED.
>
> Mark Alexander

Old thread, the listed vegetables are ones I'd never eaten raw before commencing this diet, and the first time i tried them raw i simply LOVED them.

Raw zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potato, ordinary cabbage - I eat at least one of these every day.

In addition to carrots, turnips, beetroots, baby corns, peas, radishes. Still yet to try aubergine raw, there doesn't seem to be many recipes with it?

smiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: July 02, 2012 11:22PM

l don't like raw vegetables at all (except for carrots) and l haven't eaten a raw vegetable for many years except for spinach, which l ate only once last year for the first time in years. l just don't see the appeal or sense in eating mature foods and the appeal and popularity of such foods makes my head spin. Me and my sproutarian friend sometimes visit farmers markets and we see many folks buying vegetables and we look at each other with funny looks and just shug our shoulders and ask why??? Why have mature plants when you can eat immature plants instead, that is the big question? So many advantages to immature greens over big bloated brutes (vegetables).

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 03, 2012 01:47AM

The Sproutarian Man,

Uh, in many cases the mature specimen is higher in nutrients than the immature specimen; an exception is things like broccoli sprouts, as I'm sure you know.

Posted by: chrisbeau ()
Date: July 09, 2012 04:07PM

Yes darling. .. but I make up wonderful and most delicious recipes. .. Raw Couscous and such out of Cauliflower, etc .. adding other vegetables such as onion, tomatoe and such to make it delicious. Or, making a magnificent whipped dressing using fresh coconut and other healthful ingredients.

Because we are raw does not mean we suffer. . . our food is amazing and delicious, albeit simple and healing to a body.

Songsparrow.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 09, 2012 09:56PM

I can not cook cauliflower. Not because I am incapable or because I don't enjoy it lightly steamed. No, it's because my little one steals it and eats it up before I can do a thing with it! LOL.
Broccoli stalk is so wonderful sliced as a crunchy little snack, I enjoy it very much on it's own.
Zucchini is similar to cucumber sliced or grated into salad, it's a nice addition to many dishes that way. Wonderful noodles too, very nice thinly sliced or spiralized.

Date: July 15, 2012 09:10AM

geeeez was this thread resurrected from four years ago?

wow

i think i remember this thread like it was yesterday

u blink your eye
and you are in another lifetime

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: July 15, 2012 10:05PM

Of course we really eat--here's an example of a daily menu: [fresherthanlife.com]

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 22, 2012 04:40AM

Why jumping from "too much" to the "quite a bit in moderation" though? Sounds to me like both are extremes, surely for someone who still wishes to include these veggies into their diet, a wiser approach would be to look for the mean unless there is evidence that in this particular instance the mean is also an excess.

And that's the thing, for broccoli and other goitrogenic veggies currently there is no evidence that in the absence of problems with thyroid, even overconsumption of goitrogenic veggies will have negative impact. In fact so far as health is concerned they are very much positive with lots of scientific support for thissmiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2012 04:43AM by chat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables