Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dr Fred Bisci PHD, Raw Foodist For 40 Years interview
Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: March 05, 2009 12:38PM

Has anyone listened to the Dr Fred Bisci interview ?
Its very interesting, i really enjoyed it.

[www.blogtalkradio.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dr Fred Bisci PHD, Raw Foodist For 40 Years interview
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 05, 2009 02:23PM

paulieGB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone listened to the Dr Fred Bisci interview
> ?
Yes, I just listened to it. He made many good
points. A couple of his quotes that impressed me were "thin
by choice" and "ongoing Detox is the key to longevity".
His basic approach is Calorie Restriction. His favorite book
(given to him by Paul Nison) is Tonya Zavasta's "Quantum
Eating".
Very nice interview.....thanks....WY

Posted by: rawne ()
Date: March 05, 2009 03:14PM

Fred Bisci, who works closely with Paul Nison, advocates lots of supplementation which he himself sells. He is anti fruit (except in small quantities) & told me he's witnessed quite a few high fruit, raw vegans succumb to cancer & maintains the culprit was fruit.

Date: March 05, 2009 04:23PM

What does he class as small quantitys ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2009 04:23PM by paulieGB.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 05, 2009 04:35PM

He mentioned doing high fruit as a runner and it was just great, but eating any fat caused him troubles, even the smallest amounts. He then over a period of 8 months tried to revert to higher fat and all but eliminate the fruit and was successful at that as well then. Seemed he came to the conclusion that balance or finding what works for the person is a key. Unless I misunderstood this.

I can't remember why he stopped the high fruit though. He said as long as he kept running or active he was fine, but what happened when he didn't?? I can't remember or if he even touched upon it. He did seem to go up and down in his excitement level though while talking. Came off as easily distracted to me :O)

Date: March 05, 2009 04:51PM

Not sure how he defines "small" except as a small part of one's dietary. When he spoke of the large number of cases of cancer in the raw community, I thought his blanket blame on fruit was unprofessional, i.e., he did not acknowledge the individual's history & lifestyle as possible contributing factors. Having said that, I'm sure he has some positive contributions to make to the field of health.

Date: March 05, 2009 04:59PM

He said he stopped high fruit because it was not good for his blood sugar levels,
He said its ok if your highly active like running marathons,
But for ordinary people it is not the way to go.
And also he said combining high fat and high fruit is even worst than just high fruit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2009 05:02PM by paulieGB.

Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: March 05, 2009 05:05PM

I think he may have some good ideas here and there, but he's full of ($#)it about fruit, just cause old' freddy got sedentary and decided to eat more fat and start eating cooked food (which he does) and not eat when it gets dark don't mean that it's healthy. And yes, eating high fat AND high fruit is unhealthy, and so is eating high fat and no fruit. the human body is not meant to be sedentary, and as far as calorie restriction the idea is misconstrued heavily, not to mention we don't know his actual meal measurements or caloric intake.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 05, 2009 05:45PM

Ebhak Wrote:
> and start eating cooked food (which he
> does)

how do you know that

Date: March 05, 2009 06:26PM

I believe he says it on his website, whereas in a raw documentary he said he eats only raw and has for years, he also says we only need 2-3 hours sleep a night, yeah right.

Go look on his website, he talks about eating cooked meals and advocates them as part of his menu plan.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: March 05, 2009 06:30PM

That's interesting, rawne, so Dr Bisci is implying that a high-fruit diet can cause cancer (as you said he'd said he'd seen high-fruit raw vegans succumb to cancer and 'maintains the culprit was fruit.')

Good timing, as any day now I have a blog article coming out that will maintain that eating lots of fruit does NOT cause cancer.

And I haven't even seen any evidence that high fat + lots of fruit will cause cancer. It will cause other problems in the body, eg sugar issues, but no evidence that it will cause cancer (unless of course the fat is cooked!).

However, I'm always ready to consider scientific research that says otherwise. Could you tell me more? Or, if you know him, could you ask him on what basis he makes the statement that 'the culprit was fruit'? (As that certainly is quite a contentious statement.)

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 05, 2009 06:38PM

Ebhak Wrote:
> I believe he says it on his website, whereas in a
> raw documentary he said he eats only raw and has
> for years, he also says we only need 2-3 hours
> sleep a night, yeah right.
>
> Go look on his website, he talks about eating
> cooked meals and advocates them as part of his
> menu plan.

i see that he talks about it for his clients. that's all.

Date: March 05, 2009 06:51PM

He says what he eats -
its all raw, salads, blended salads, vegtable juices some fruits and a few nuts.

He also said that 100% raw food is the healthiest way to go,
but some people might find it nessasry to eat some cooked foods or take some supplements, we are all individuals.

And also, he has been raw vegan for 40 years and is a doctor and treats people every day and helps them back to health with there diet e.t.c, he is obviously very knowledgable.
And hes 80 years old and still very fit and healthy.

Lol im not sure why some people are talking BS about him.

Date: March 05, 2009 07:09PM

debbietook,
A now deceased friend of mine was very friendly with Fred & I had a long phone conversation with Fred in Aug '03 during which I tried to pick his brain relative to his negative stance on fruit; however I was turned off by his monologuing & I really didn't care to speak to him again.
As far as what the "experts" claim to consume themselves, without being a fly on the wall, it has little meaning to me as, without mentioning names, I personally know some who misrepresent themselves.

Date: March 05, 2009 08:29PM

If he has an anti fruit stance he is getting most of his calories from fat, or excessive vegetable juicing, which is not healthy.

He used to be physically active it says, now that he is older, not so sure, and at first glance it appears his stance has been modified to support a more sedentary lifestyle.

If it is a healthy diet, why the need for supplements?

We are all individuals, this is true, but with our natural diet supplementation is not required.

I do appreciate the positive messages of him, I am just mentioning where he falls short.

Posted by: Paul Nison ()
Date: March 05, 2009 10:21PM

Once again some of you seem to turn things around. Dr. Fred Bisci eat's a 100% raw food diet and has for 40 plus years.

Date: March 05, 2009 10:23PM

So he doesn't preach what he practices? So it is a marketing thing to reach more people by saying some cooked food is ok or that not all can make it on a raw foods diet or something?

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 06, 2009 12:25AM

"ongoing Detox is the key to longevity"

Fruit is very detoxing so his beliefs seem to be in contradiction ?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 06, 2009 12:32AM

Jehosophat, people! Do your homework about someone before opining about them, or you'll just end up talking slander. Dr. Fred is all raw, as far as anyone knows, and pretty active yet. Unless any of you naysayers are 80 years old and jumping through hoops of flame for kicks, you oughtn't speculate as to the man's sedentariness. It makes you sound like provocateurs, and there are too many of those in the Raw World as it is. And I'm not even a fan of the man, geez . . .

Date: March 06, 2009 06:36AM

I just don't know how active he can actually be eating 2 small meals of not much , if any, fruit. No objective information on his diet or activity to go on here. Of course a small meal with a "moderate" amount by volume of oil, nuts, etc, is actually not a small meal. granted, you can burn greens and fat for energy, but there are health consequences in the long run, and is sub-optimal, is what the science shows.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 06, 2009 10:21AM

EZ rider Wrote:
> "ongoing Detox is the key to longevity"
>
> Fruit is very detoxing so his beliefs seem to be
> in contradiction ?

That may be so but it's not the only way to detox therefore there is no contradiction.

Wasn't there some famouse Aussie fruitarian who wrote a book called "Cancer Proof" who died of prostate cancer recently?

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: March 06, 2009 12:06PM

Paul Nison wrote, "Once again some of you seem to turn things around. Dr. Fred Bisci eat's a 100% raw food diet and has for 40 plus years".

I'll bet my life and all my posessions that Dr. Bisci didn't eat 100% raw for all 40 plus years. Nobody can convince me that he didn't slip up many times. Yeah, many times!

Date: March 06, 2009 03:55PM

Brian, although it would be unusual for that to be the case, I do think we need to be careful not to make statements like that unless we are sure...

eg since going 100% raw I've never eaten cooked food beyond the odd bit of cooked pepper that might have been mixed into an 'all-raw' salad ordered (eg in SoCal funnily enough...) and have never experienced cravings for cooked food - not once.

I'm only two years raw, so that's piddly compared with Dr Bisci, and I'm not smug (heard Storm Talifero has his first cravings after 30 years raw?!) but, again, unless we know for sure in the case of Dr Bisci, I'm not sure it's right to cast aspersions publicly...

hope you'll understand :-)

Date: March 06, 2009 04:11PM

Yes, Community Builder, he died of prostate cancer.

He was very unwise to call his book 'Cancer Proof', as, although diet is a major factor in many cancers, tumours can also grow for other reasons, eg there are many aspects of health apart from diet.

As the word 'fruitarian' has been used, I can't really comment on that, as I'm not sure that living exclusively on fruit is a good idea. However, we cannot conclude that his diet was responsible, for reasons as above. Also, are we sure that he was 'fruitarian' in his latter years? (and answers only if you're sure, folks?). I think it was Steve Jobs of Apple who was diagnosed with stomach cancer and I remember an anti-raw blogger leaping on this and saying he was 'fruitarian'. Well - that had been 20 years previously! (wonder if he'd have been ill if he'd stuck to the diet...)

The high-fruit diet (that is, fruit with lots of leaves, other veg and a little fat) should greatly reduce our chances of 'getting' all sorts of cancer, as will raw food vegan diets in general, as they exclude the foods and toxins (created by cooking) commonly linked with cancer.

Common to various schools of thought in the natural health world is that the likelihood of growing a tumour depends on a) the amount of toxins ingested and b) our energy level (ie whether or not it is sufficient to cope with the daily deluge).

That's why raw fooders can certainly still get cancer if other aspects of living are neglected sufficiently to deplete energy and thus render the body unable to eliminate and/or compensate for non-food aspects of unhealthful living (eg I spend far too long on the computer and not enough time in the sunshine) and why people on relatively poor diets may be tumour-free (or at least, apparently free...).

Prostate cancer...all I can say is that I've been googling that recently, and, without going into details here, there's been some very interesting stuff recently on certain aspects of male sexual behaviour and prostate cancer. I'm not making any suggestions re this particular man, but have just used this to stress that there are lots of ways we can live unnaturally and come unstuck.

Hence, as raw fooders we can't be smug about cancer as food is not the only factor that can make us ill, but for the same reasons neither can we conclude that when a raw fooder who advocates a particular variant of the raw food diet dies then it's the diet that's the culprit.

Posted by: Paul Nison ()
Date: March 06, 2009 05:56PM

Fred Bisci and a great book and video out. If you want to know what he does and tells people to do instead of making up lies and comments that you don't know, why dont' you get the book and read it. He is also on you tube now, do a search with his name. you can also go to his website.
He eats 100% raw food
Does not think 100% is for everyone and in his book he talks about why
and he does not talk about people or things he doesn't know about unlike some people on this board.
Have you even viewed his website before making claims that are not true? his site is [www.fredbisci4health.com]

And he is also very active. He has two dogs that are each over 175 lbs that he walks on the beach at 5am every morning. I've traveled with Fred all over the world giving lectures and I never met anyone with more energy then him. He has run in ultra races 50 miles and was a world class weight lifter.

I have never met anyone who knows more about health or the raw food diet than Dr. Bisci.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 06, 2009 08:22PM

What most of the research show is that the key point for a healthy and long life is not being 100 percent raw but the eating and resting pattern. It is more important to eat less, fast regularly than being 100 percent raw.

Date: March 07, 2009 04:35AM

Eat less than what? Vague. We need to eat the right amount for our needs, not more, not less unless doing a fast or lose weight, etc. (and even then up greens and fruit will lower a bit naturally) measure your needs. Why eat less than optimal? 100% raw is optimal if done right and can work for everyone, I appreciate Biscis efforts, and he may be pretty healthy and moderately active, walking dogs in his old age is cool, I mean that's something, but still vague. What someone in the past doesn't mean as much in the present, but I'm not knocking him nisan, just saying that I find some of his statements hard to believe and some of his advice sub-par, lacking science to back it up.
And if you eat your last meal in the evening, and don't eat till noon or so, you are having a short fast daily, and having extended fasts less frequently, is better and less shock on the body then a weekly fast. but yes, you could eat enough in 2 meals a day, but there isn't much benefit in taking extremes. There are many elements to health, and we can optimize them all, physically, mentally, emotionally, and aspire for a spiritual life at the same time.
I wouldn't say anything is "more important", all of these elements are important.
anyways im done drawing attention and promoting, but hey he's better than wolfenstein.

Posted by: richard blackman ()
Date: March 07, 2009 07:09AM

If it works for Fred who cares, I say good for him for sharing and trying to help those of like mind!!!

Dayum Paul Nison, I wish I had friends like you man!...good looking out!

RB

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 07, 2009 10:23AM

Paul Nison Wrote:
> I have never met anyone who knows more about
> health or the raw food diet than Dr. Bisci.
I'll take your word, Paul. I'd never heard of
him until just recently.
He has a good message, and, at 80 years old,
he's a role-model for Seniors everywhere. I mean, after
all, how many of our Raw Food Gurus have stood the-test-of-time
as he has? So, for all of you who are putting him down...back
off!!!
I looked at a couple of his videos. He's not so much talking
to us who know what to do (or think we do), but rather to
mainstream America. By the way, if you look at any of his
videos, notice how much weight he's lost. That jacket and
shirt he's wearing are several sizes too big. One of his
quotes is "Thin by choice".
He must have a real Passion for what he's doing, ..WY

[www.fredbisci4health.com]

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: March 07, 2009 03:18PM

>His favorite book (given to him by Paul Nison) is Tonya Zavasta's "Quantum
Eating".<

My favorite too! I really treasure the information in that book.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables