Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vedas didn't know better?? : )
Posted by: learning_raw ()
Date: March 05, 2009 01:33PM

I have been studying Ayurveda a little over the course of past year. Now that I am living and learning about raw, many questions arise related to Ayurveda and why it is cooked food based. At least it is cooked food based in the way it is taught currently. I would love to hear if anyone have references to it being used raw only. I can't see all the yogi population for thousands of years always relied on cooked food.

Is there a raw ayurvedic knowledge development some where that I can get my hands on?

And what are your thoughts on this subject.

I am personally resonating towards defining ayurvedic raw diet just to explore and learn it better and see what comes out of it.

The initial warning I had recieved from Ayurvedic doctors was that too much raw would agrevate my vata. Being almost 2 months raw I can easily say that there are good measures to balance it out, I currently don't have any vata aggravation and have a very good balance of doshas in a way I had never have before. It's important to note though this is not a direct effect of my diet but my ability to balance them out with my whole lifestyle and my raw diet is being a very positive contribution towards that and so far raw did not equate to vata aggravation for me. I am in fact feeling very grounded these days..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vedas didn't know better?? : )
Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: March 05, 2009 05:13PM

I have thought about this too, I think there are raw food references in the Vedas and in (Gaudiya) Vaisnava literature.
Personally I think the ideas have some validity but am not sure food wise, and in alot of ways, what is actually going, heard great stories, watched documentaries, been to India, in watching "Ayurveda the Art of Being" I thought the ability to correct some intense physical deformitites was interesting, and certainly those modalities seem useful, but as far as herbs and pills and potions and powders, even the ones made from gemstones, I have my doubts, natural hyiene principles would show that the body is the healer and that the rest and shift in diet from unhealthy items may have been the help, the herbs would only shift the symptoms or further imbalance the body but this is open to further investigation, seeing as how they claim such a high success rate with thousands of years, yogis in the forests surely ate raw food, and there are talks of ancient times where nature provided everything needed, and all was offered.

Of course some say that the Vedas say that there has always been civilization, we didn't come from monkeys, etc.

This and some other socio-cultura aspects of vedic / indian teachings lead me to believe that not all of it is from the same source, i.e some may have been added upon, but some higher teachings may go back way before and have an entirely different origin. same with some of these teachings in other conceptions.

Posted by: Haida ()
Date: March 11, 2009 02:08PM

learning_raw - the only development I have noticed recently about being raw and Ayurvedic constitutions is Gabriel Cousens. You can check out is site by putting his name into a search engine.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: March 13, 2009 01:54AM

same questionning for me too.

Vedas are supposed to be revealed, not man-made. So why are they advocating cooked food?

I'd like to read the early teachings and see by myself.

As for the vata aggravating point, my experience is that not all raw regimens are created egal. Some are very vata, other not. We must discriminate

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 13, 2009 03:46AM

Has anyone considered that maybe just maybe they didn't know any better and just said what they thought was right at the time?

But the great thing about science is that is changes--it's a never ending quest for truth. We keep refining what we know. As we learn about what does and does not work, we let go of the things that no longer need to be applied.

Keep the good part, drop the rest. Don't worry about what it used to be called or where it came from. The good part is the part that bears up to scrutiny.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables