Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Saliva, and digestion
Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: March 07, 2009 08:01PM

So I was curious...

I understand, chew chew chew and mix with saliva to help ease and breakdown foods for digestion...

Now this may be Way out there, and kind of gross to some people...

But Ive been thinking about it for a minute now, I have trouble chewing my food to liquid because it seems to sneak down my throat without intentionally swallowing, and alot of things that dont taste to well kind of make me gag..

What if I was to collect a bunch of saliva, and mix it with my food first in a bowl? would that still have the same effect???

Im kind of guessing no, but maybe someone can clarify.

Im also finding that I have a lot of bloating going on, so Im trying to eat less less less, but still get my nutrients and such.. Are sprouted flaxseeds, or sprouted sunflower seeds, or sprouted almonds hard on digestion? or cause bloating?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saliva, and digestion
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 07, 2009 10:26PM

No, hg. When you work your mandible with saliva to break down food in your mouth, you initiate the secretion of certain digestive enzymes in your stomach. Digestion actually begins in the mouth because of the saliva, so this is absolutely a step you cannot short-cut. This is the reason we are advised to also "chew" our juice--to initiate the digestive enzymes to start breaking it down further once it's swallowed. Try starting with smaller mouthfuls and working your way up to chewing more so that you don't start swallowing too soon. Big bites may be too great a volume for you to homogenize through chewing properly before the food starts to go down.

How are you feeling, by the way? Is your new mono regimen working for you? I sure hope so. You gave us quite a scare, kiddo : ) Good luck.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 08, 2009 06:08AM

herbalgerbals

What if I was to collect a bunch of saliva, and mix it with my food first in a bowl? would that still have the same effect?

My understanding is that there is an inter-action that occurs between the food and the body and that inter-action wouldn't happen in a bowl outside the body.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: March 08, 2009 06:56AM

not meaning to be gross or anything but don't certain tribes in peru chew the maca and spit it in a bowl and let it forment into some sort of special drink?

Just a thought

Hope you are feeling better herbalgerbal

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 08, 2009 07:09AM

pampam

don't certain tribes in peru chew the maca and spit it in a bowl and let it forment into some sort of special drink?

That could be - don't know one way or the other. smiling smiley

The inter-action I was referring to has to do with the digestive environment needed.

Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: March 08, 2009 07:27PM

Thanks for the responses.

I understand now about the digestion and how its related to chewing with saliva.
Makes sense. so when we chew the saliva released in our mouth also triggers enzymes to be released and preperation of breakdown of the food in our stomachs.

So what happens when we brush our teeth?
And if we notice we have excess saliva, does that mean or could it be asign of time to eat? or over active digestive system - the reason I ask this, is maybe it could contribute to ulcers or breakdown of the inner lining of the intestines (in my case), so aiming towards a lower acidic digestive system would be in favor (if that was the case) any comments?

Im doing alright.. Im still on prednisone, and will begin my taper.

The pains and such have been getting better as well.

Ive discovered my LOVE for apricots.
Im still eating only fruit in the morning as longas I can, usually and typically till noonish depends when I wake up..

Small sprouted seed meal in the afternoon, and about an hour or somthing before that I juice some carrots or celery. I also discovered jicama root has been beneficial to me. Im pretty sure its becuase of the high water content.

I looove papaya and bananas, and jicama. :]

I havent really been eating Anything cooked, other then fish, wich is usually my very last meal of the day, if I choose to include it. Otherwise its juts the sprouted seed meal. wich typically is sprouted seseme seeds, sprouted flax, with some raw creamy almond butter.

I also have been eating hemp seed during the afternoon.

ALSO, I have found that massaging my abdomin has been helping me ease with bloating, and helps me pass bowels wich is good for me.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables