Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

local or organic
Posted by: Haida ()
Date: March 11, 2009 02:25PM

I was in Florida for a day last week and there are strawberries galore there now. Mmmmmmmmmm. Here in New Jersey we will have to wait a couple more months for strawberry season. All the organic strawberries I have seen here are from Mexico, some of the conventionally grown strawberries are from Florida. I know strawberries are high up on the list for chemical residues, but the ones from Fl, even though not organic, have more colour and smells of strawberries. Strawberries are just one example though. Much of the organic produce seems to be from over sees, where as their conventional counterpart are US grown. The organic oranges and grapes lately are from Africa. How organic is organic produce if it crosses international borders? Which would you choose? Is it worth the organics if it needs to be shipped from far away. Thats not eco-logical.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: local or organic
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 11, 2009 04:16PM

im in vancouver bc canada and ive found that there has been alot less fruit choices this year than last .. my theory it has something to do with bad economy and gas prices .. less stuff is being ordered this winter

i understand your point wehter its eco friendly to eat stuff thats flown 1000's of miles to land on your plate .. id still prefer the organic over convential for some stuff tho

an old friend of mine from the 60s once told me that there was some experimenting going on in california back in the 60's spraying produce with smell enhancing chemicals so shoppers would gravitate towards high priced stuff .. wether or not that is true i have no idea nor does she and has no references to back that up

personally i would not be suprised if that was true smiling smiley i have had produce that smelled AMAZING and ended up tasting like crap .. and could never quite figure that out smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables