Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Calcium - Nutridiary
Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: March 13, 2009 02:41AM

I keep a daily log going on Nutridiary to keep up on the calories/nutrients I'm getting. I'm noticing that every single day my Calcium is under the 100% mark. (I throw at least 4 cups of leafy greens in my smoothies every day and I eat sesame seed a few times a week). Maybe I'm not eating enough calcium-rich foods? I'm wondering if the Nutridiary amounts are inflated to account for people who eat dairy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calcium - Nutridiary
Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: March 13, 2009 02:55AM

If you eat enough fruits and vegetables your body will not be in an acidic state, Therefore your body will not require as much calcium as a SAD eater because your body will not be using it to buffer the acidic diet.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 13, 2009 03:43AM

The US RDA is inflated due to the assumed acid forming diet (high in meats, dairy, and grains).

Japanese RDA is 600 mg. Their diets aren't nearly as junky. Or were. That seems to be changing somewhat.

I agree with Workout man. If your diet is very high in fruits and vegetables and lacks meat/milk you will have a positive calcium balance with a lower intake of calcium. The balance is more important than the intake.

That doesn't mean throw caution to the wind and forget about it, though.

If you are in the 600-800 mg range consistently that is probably good enough, if you are also getting enough D and exercising.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 13, 2009 06:38AM

arugula rocks.

thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2009 11:20AM

Veg has heaps more calcium than dairy, esp. raw. The RDA is a guide only, as it's not an exact science. Very few, if any people are calcium deficient. What ever your percentage is, that is your body's optimum level. I'd be very surprised if you're not getting way more than your body can use, so don't worry.

Cheers geo

Date: March 13, 2009 12:22PM

Hi CJJ,

From the Vegan Society:

Recommendations<
Eat plenty of low oxalate high calcium green leafy vegetables
Dairy products are not the ideal food for bone health. 100 g of a low oxalate high calcium green leafy vegetable such as kale, turnip greens or spring greens will have at least as much beneficial effect on calcium balance as 200 g of milk. Using the green stuff instead of the white stuff also avoids the adverse effects of dairy fat on cardiovascular health. Dark green leafy vegetables will protect and strengthen bone by raising blood pH and providing vitamin K and vitamin C. They are a good source of plant carotenes, which meet the body's needs for vitamin A safely and naturally. Green leafy vegetables are also high in folate, which is highly beneficial to general health. It is hard to imagine a food more supportive of bone health than kale or spring greens.

Some vegetables such as spinach, purslane and rhubarb are high in oxalate, which hinders absorption of their calcium.

Reduce sodium intake
If you use salt, substitute one of the widely available low sodium alternatives, such as LoSalt, containing at least twice as much potassium as sodium by weight.

Use low sodium bread or consume bread moderately, as bread is a major source of sodium. Some low sodium breads, such as Warburton's Healthy breads, are also fortified with calcium.

Use herbs and spices instead of salt and salty pickles. There are often similar products in terms of taste with very different salt levels.

Get at least 600 mg of calcium per day from calcium rich foods or supplements
Kale and spring greens provide about 150 mg of calcium per 100 g raw weight.

Almonds, carob and molasses each provide about 250 mg of calcium per 100 g. While these foods are too concentrated to consume in large amounts, they can make a useful contribution. They will also provide alkali to boost blood pH.

Tofu is high in calcium only if calcium has been used in making it, and some tofu is highly salted. Tofu can therefore vary from substantially increasing calcium balance to substantially decreasing it. The calcium content of tahini is also very variable. The amounts of calcium and sodium in these foods should therefore be checked on the labels and not taken for granted: for a reliably beneficial effect on bone health there should be at least as much calcium as sodium.

Calcium-fortified foods or calcium supplements provide a further convenient source of calcium. If phosphate intakes are low (unusual for vegans), calcium phosphate may be preferable to calcium carbonate or calcium citrate. Calcium carbonate should always be consumed with meals. If stomach acid is low, something other than carbonate should be used.

Taking 600 to 1000 mg of calcium per day from calcium rich foods, plus smaller amounts from other foods, will provide an adequate calcium intake.

Get an adequate protein intake from plant foods
Some highly processed plant protein sources, such as certain soy protein isolates, have an adverse effect on calcium balance due to loss of beneficial minerals and addition of sodium during processing. Highly salted nuts also have an adverse effect. Most plant protein sources (fruits, vegetables, legumes and many nuts and seeds) have a positive or neutral effect on calcium balance. Unrefined plant foods are also excellent sources of magnesium.

A cup of soy milk provides about 8 g of protein. Most dried beans provide about 25 g of protein per 100 g. Wheat is higher in protein than rice and potatoes, and using nuts and seeds rather than oils and fats will boost protein intake. Nuts which are high in monounsaturated fat, such as almonds, hazelnuts and cashews, are ideal as they will also promote cardiovascular health. Almonds are the most beneficial for bone health as they have the most positive effect on calcium balance.

Full article:
[www.vegansociety.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables