Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dehydrator
Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: March 13, 2009 07:15PM

yes or not?

don't have one right now. I feel satisfied with my eating but I'd like to know if I miss something...

love

Cynthia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dehydrator
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 13, 2009 08:07PM

I have never used one - to me fruit and veg. is not really raw if it has been mucked about with. It's up to your own preferences - some people love them.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 13, 2009 08:28PM

I prefer to eat fresh raw foods.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 13, 2009 09:07PM

I love mine. I go through periods when I use it more, usually in the winter. I might go months without using it, but it is there when I want to get creative. It certainly is not a necessity like my blender smiling smiley.

I love it most for dehydrating sprouted nuts and seeds for toppings,cereal and trail mixes.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 13, 2009 09:13PM

I use mine seldom, but I know I'll put it to good use in the summer, when I'm up to me ears in more tomatoes than I can eat--I'll part-dehydrate them for snacks in the fall and winter. Otherwise, I use my Excalibur for the occasional cracker recipe. Hmmm, now that we are discussing it, I think I'll start making my dog raw dog biscuits in that thing . . .

Date: March 15, 2009 01:14AM

thanks for sharing your way to go....

not yet decided what I will do

raw recipes seem so incredible but I should not forget that my stomach desagrees with seeds ( flax, sesame, pumpkin), and too many nuts is not the best for me either

oh well

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 15, 2009 02:33AM

You can get a cheapie one at Wal-Mart. My guess is that you might use it like crazy for a month and then get disenchanted. I made lots of raw burgers but I got tired of the mess and the waiting, it takes overnight usually. You could see how it works for you before you make a $200 investment on a great dehydrator.

They use a lot of energy, which kind of defeats the purpose of raw, to me.

The only way I could really justify it is if I had a garden and got deluged with produce at certain times of the year, then it would be a good investment.

Yeah, I see pics of gourmet raw stuff and I wish I had the patience to make those things but they are usually ultra high fat and I feel I am better off with my salads, smoothies, and just plain fruit.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 15, 2009 02:41AM

i agree go with the cheapie and see how much you use it smiling smiley unless you really feel you will have a need to be using it all the time, cuz it really sucks spending lots of $$$ on something that ends up a giant countertop paperweight smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 15, 2009 04:15AM

Its totally not necessary. But for some people, the gourmet foods that can be made in the dehydrator makes it easier for them to transition.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 15, 2009 01:11PM

Most cheap dehydrators cook the food at way to high a temperature. If you get one make absolutely certain that you can adjust it low enough to prevent damaging the foods you put in there. Dehydrating dosn't add any life force or nutrition to the raw foods - it can only take away.

Date: March 16, 2009 01:45AM

great thoughts, thanks.

I tell myself : eh, cynthia, you have a hard time with fatty foods. Aren't those raw recipes hell for you? That makes me hesitate. Also, I have a hard time with raw onions, garlic, and the likes. my stomach never liked those. A lot of raw recipes have them for zest and taste so, more hesitation on my side.

Plus right now I want to simplify.

I found attending potlucks would be a way to satisfie my cravings for new tastes and flavors without me having to invest more. And I would taste all those incredible dishes that one can see on the net everywhere. So tempting...

I went to a raw potluck, my first one, last month. Everything was fabulous, soooooooo good. and rich. Very rich. The day after my liver was upset. Too many sunflower seeds and muts everywhere, garlic in almost every savory dish, a meltingpot of all kinds of ingredients...

good and deadly

AND temptation everywhere. Although everything was raw, I could'nt stop eating. At home, my hunger gets satisfied quite easily when there are but a few produces in a single meal.

Strange exprerience, don't you think?

the next potluck is in a week from now...

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 16, 2009 02:41AM

Not that strange. Spices and herbs and condiments, especially salt, all create more appetite.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables