Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Struggling with vegetables...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2009 07:59PM

HI, new here but not totally new to raw. I have found an interesting issue however and would like to know if anyone else out there has a similar issue....

I love smoothies, juices, salads and raw veggie sushi. But I simply cannot eat a lot of raw veggies. If its traditionally in a salad, fine, but stuff like zucchini, mushrooms, corn, broccoli, etc, I just can't stomach. Cooked, fine, but raw... not so much so. Most pates and many soups gross me out too. So I feel like I'm stuck with smoothies, juice and salads.

Anyone ever encounter anything like this in their own raw adventure? Any advice or thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Struggling with vegetables...
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 13, 2009 08:05PM

just eat what you like - don't fret about the stuff you don't. I find that my tastes change as time goes by. Eating should be enjoyable right? Raw broccoli - wouldn't touch it - ha ha

Date: March 13, 2009 08:07PM

So simple, yet is probably what I need to hear. And "Raw broccoli - wouldn't touch it - ha ha"--THANK YOU! You have no idea how much better that makes me feel!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 14, 2009 02:15AM

I agree with flipperjan. For myself, the raw veggies I eat are what you would typically find in a green garden salad.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 14, 2009 04:49AM

The number one vegetable I eat raw is romaine lettuce. Number two would be iceberg. Number three, onions. Number four, shredded carrots.

I use the rest only sparingly.

Lots of nonsweet fruit such as tomato and pepper, however.

I use the nonsweet fruits zucchini, summer squash, and cuke only when they are marked down. They are easier when you shred them or make "noodles" out of them. You will need special tools for this. Green papaya is a good substitute if you want variety.

Raw broccoli is a lot more palatable when it's shredded, as in a coleslaw type dish. I never got into the raw florets with dips.

I have never found a way to make raw cauliflower palatable. Or raw brussels sprouts. These I have to steam. My HO is to not feel guilty about this, there is plenty of evidence that they are still good for you that way. And yummy, too.

Posted by: volcomchick8797 ()
Date: March 14, 2009 07:09AM

im starting my raw food lifestyle again tomorrow. i have tried this before and the more i eat raw veggies, the more i like them. try it, even though you may not like them at first, you may begin to like them over time. i need to work on that with zuccini, i only like it cooked but im going to try my theory on that. and if it doesnt work...we just will eat other fruits and veggies that we already know we like =D

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: March 14, 2009 09:14AM

Hi Morgan

Those particular vegetables you mention are a very tiny part of my diet. In fact, many weeks I'd go without eating any of them. So you won't have any problems going raw if you don't like them.

For ideas on other things to eat, see:

[www.rawforlife.co.uk]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 14, 2009 10:47AM

Debbie - thats a great site. I just read the section tittled "What’s Wrong with Cooked Food?" and really liked it. I bookmarked the site and I am going back to read more. The reading is interesting and informative and I am now more committed then ever to the raw food lifestyle. Thanks, smiling smiley

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: March 14, 2009 10:57AM

Thanks so much, EZ. I've just been rewriting it, but there's more work to do (eg the courses pages are going to coming off because I'm moving in other directions now - interesting where raw takes us!).

Date: March 14, 2009 04:11PM

arugula--thanks for the tips. I've made zucchini noodles many times before, but never liked them. Every time I made them I tried something different--thinner noodles, thicker noodles, salted them, added olive oil first, made them cold, made them at room temp.... In the end I just discovered that I don't like raw zucchini flat out; except pureed in a soup. Everyone I know just LOVES zucchini noodles and/or lasagna--including my omnivore boyfriend. Me, I just want to poke it with a stick.

I like your idea of shredding broccoli. I had broccoli slaw one time and really enjoyed it--thanks for the idea. I'm not into the florets and dip either.

debbietook--thanks for the link! very interesting site. I like your discussion on transitional foods. I'm training to be a raw food chef, but I'm finding that I prefer the simpler foods to the fancy stuff. Its good to see this so I can continue on with my training and not feel guilty for not liking everything I make (because other people may like it; kinda the point of being a chef). Thanks again.

Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: March 14, 2009 07:14PM

Leafy greens have eveything nutritionaly that other vegetables have to offer.

Posted by: cadybennet ()
Date: March 15, 2009 03:35PM

You can do the same thing with brussels sprouts what you'd do with kale or savoy salads, just cut it in thin stripes and massage some dressing into it smiling smiley

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 19, 2009 11:09PM

..sure, some here eat raw brussels sprouts. Last time I bought them they were too tough for me to chew (tried to eat them like little apples, haha). Next time I think I'll run them thru the juicer/grinder with carrots and make a slaw or something.... I like your idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2009 11:14PM by loeve.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables