Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Successful Dining Out
Posted by: Kit ()
Date: March 14, 2009 08:17PM

Was out of town this wk for work & went to dinner at a Japanese restaurant w/ co-workers.

No salads or anything raw on the menu had me really concerned. I'm not all raw but wanted to avoid Japanese foods I used to love that send me down the wrong path.

Didn't want any dietary scenes in front of co-workers either. Was thinking of giving in by ordering food I knew I'd regret. Nervously I asked the waitress if I could have a big salad and some tea. She said 'sure' without blinking even though it wasn't on the menu.

I recommended some sushi for the others to order and said 'Nah, not tonight' when they offered me some. My salad wasn't great but it was ok.

No one acted at all out of the ordinary over my dinner. It was no big deal and I really had a good time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Successful Dining Out
Posted by: zanjabil ()
Date: March 15, 2009 12:45AM

That goes to show it never hurts to ask. Also, I know it's easier said then done, but don't worry about what those coworkers say or think, you are doing what's best for YOUR body and health. Just shrug off their comments, they probably wish the had your conscious self control. smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 15, 2009 01:26AM

i used to date a boy who loved to eat out. whenever we went i asked them to make me a salad. it annoyed him. needless to say we are no longer together... u_u

congrats on the successful eating out thingie.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: March 15, 2009 01:46AM

Most poeple are concerned not so much about what you ordered to eat, but that you honored them to accept their invitation and be in their presence.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 15, 2009 01:49AM

yep its cool when other people you are hanging out with dont think that being healthy is somehow obscure, weird or bizarre smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 15, 2009 02:22AM

A woman I work with is about 100 lbs overweight. But she eats organic salads and raw juice for lunch.

I love her so much for doing that.

Posted by: volcomchick8797 ()
Date: March 15, 2009 10:25PM

thats awsome that you ordered and fought your temptations. its hard for me too. i just started yesterday but in the past when i was simply vegan..i would eat non vegan items at a restaurant just to beat the emberassment of customizing orders. now i feel confident to succeed and stay on my path without straying. congrats on fighting the temptations.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 15, 2009 11:51PM

dont feel embarrased volumchick to ask for soemthing you want, its your money you are paying for service .. you should get what you pay for smiling smiley a friend of mine is a chef in a fancy resort and the way she sees it ..the menu is just there to give people an idea what they can have .. she always looks forward to making special items for special people smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 16, 2009 02:24AM

At a Japanese place, I would get nori, avocado, and cucumber hand rolls. The nori is probably toasted, but it's still mostly fresh food.

Posted by: volcomchick8797 ()
Date: March 16, 2009 03:12AM

thanks jgunn,
thats a great way of thinking of it. your right, im paying for it, i should be happy. i love cooking too and baking. now i have much easier steps for eating, so much less time consuming and healthier =) i never thought of a menu as a guide and to branch out. thanks for giving me another point of view. everyone here is so nice to bring out the good in situations and make me think a more open way. thanks for the encouragement. now i will order emberassment free and healthier.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 17, 2009 03:56PM

my golden rule is never to go to a restaurant hungry smiling smiley I have a smoothie or something before I go, then I'm never disappointed if I have to get a droopy side salad. I just forget about the food and concentrate on the company smiling smiley

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: March 21, 2009 03:46AM

zanjabil,ILovejen,Pistachio,Jgunn,arugula,volcomchick8797,Utopian Life,lisa m,
Hey thanks for your responses. I'm out of town during work weeks for a while - not able to post at those times.

I look forward to folks on this site especially while I'm feeling 'harried' if that's the right word. It's nice to tune in when people are being helpful to each other...an oasis.

Restaurants etc. can be fun but being at your own place doing things your own way is of value too.

Do good all you raw beings in your various stages.

Kit

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 21, 2009 07:30AM

i'm a pro at eating out
and yeah, i get a salad or a bowl of fruit
no one has ever given me a hard time or put me in an inquisition seat

and I am not sure if this is simply my imagination but it has happened SOOOO many times that i am beginning to think that it is more than just a coincidence

the thing is that i notice that if i am the FIRST person to order and i order a salad,
i am always surprised at how many other people end up ordering a salad as well ( though usually their salad has chicken in it but still...)

has anyone else experienced this? i can't be the only one that has seen this over and over again

but if i'm not the first person to order, different story tongue sticking out smiley

i read somewhere in a magazine that people will try to match what you eat bite for bite

i didn't take the article too seriously at the time but i'm beginning to change my mind

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 21, 2009 02:17PM

la_veronique,

I have experienced this, and I could never tell whether it's some sort of unconscious competition whim on the part of my co-diners; who are not really competitive people otherwise, or a herd-survival response in their minds driving them to make a healthier choice upon being reminded that they can by my own choice. Or maybe they were going to order a big salad anyway. From a strictly anthropological perspective, it's weird!

Posted by: ruby ()
Date: March 21, 2009 02:42PM

Here is my experience. My husband's family is 120% SAD (meaning dietsmiling smiley, and we go out occasionally with them. They think I am totally weird as far as eating goes (I am not even 100% raw)... I ALWAYS customize my meals at the restaurant, and just don't care that some of the family members roll their eyes. They think their way is the only way... When I have them over at my house, I prepare "things" that they eat for them and my dishes for me. When I go to their houses I just bring my salad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables