Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

lettuce
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 17, 2009 07:27AM

Romaine is the variety of lettuce that is constantly referred to with regard to it's nutrient values. Am I right to assume that other varieties of lettuce will be equally as beneficial in the nutrient league table?

Examples that I can buy and grow in the summer in the UK are: Cos, Lollo rosso, red oak leaf, mizuna, little gem, butterhead and a variety of cut and come again salad leaves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lettuce
Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: March 17, 2009 01:24PM

They are all nutritious,but romaine is ranked very high in nutient density.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 17, 2009 01:53PM

I've heard that iceberg lettuce is rated low.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 17, 2009 02:04PM

flipperjan,

Cos lettuce is romaine lettuce. Generally, the more pigmented and fibrous, the more nutrient dense. Iceberg lettuce, for example, is almost blanched-looking and is very high in water. So a better choice would be cos or red leaf or a good mature green leaf lettuce. But a nice, pleasant variety won't starve you of nutrients, either--just enjoy as many kinds as you can get as often as you wish! And don't forget to look into the old English herby favorites like borage, purslane, and sorrel.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 17, 2009 02:07PM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Romaine is the variety of lettuce that is
> constantly referred to with regard to it's
> nutrient values. Am I right to assume that other
> varieties of lettuce will be equally as beneficial
> in the nutrient league table?
The 'Lettuce Queen' is Rawne who sometimes
posts here. Maybe she'll see your Topic and respond....WY

Posted by: rawne ()
Date: March 17, 2009 05:38PM

Loose leaf is higher than romaine in minerals, as per a chart I looked at, but romaine beats loose leaf in most vitamins & amino acids. Eat a variety for balance.
I consume large amounts of both.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 18, 2009 01:51AM

I buy romaine mostly because of the cost per calorie.

A 1.5 lb head of romaine is now around $1.69, but 1/4-1/2 as much of looseleaf
/redlead/greenleaf is the same price or higher.

And baby salad greens are even more expensive: $6.99/lb or more. But yes, they are better for you. Generally the smaller the leaf and the more highly colored, the better.

When I get a better job...

Date: March 18, 2009 04:06PM

Thanks very much.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: March 18, 2009 05:02PM

Tamukha, I find the cucumber-y taste of borage quite pleasant, although the texture of the leaves a little off-putting.

But I'd suggest care with sorrel. I have sorrel growing in my (English) garden, and it is inedible. Very, very acidic. Like the sharpest rhubarb doused in vinegar.

I understand 'French sorrel' is milder.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 18, 2009 05:14PM

I usually stay away from romaine (use it as last resort) and go for darker greens like spinach, kale, collards, and chard. But I was amazed when I juiced some romaine yesterday and the juice was a medium green. Granted, I had a host of other veggies, including dark ones, in that juice, but I liked that I got some green out of that romaine. smiling smiley

Date: March 19, 2009 08:56AM

I don't much like kale, spinach and chard raw. I do sometimes add spinach to a fruit smoothie but not too much. I'm not even sure what collards are (Debbie - help - are they winter greens.)

But I really love all different types of lettuce. Do you think one can avoid the above listed greens and still be fine. Maybe I should just eat them lightly steamed. Arugula - what do you think?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 19, 2009 11:20AM

Jan, I usually lightly steam my crucifers, but I add a handful or two of raw spinach to my lettuce-based salads *if* I can find reasonably priced spinach.

Collards are a staple in the SE USA where I live. They are best when small, young, and tender but that is not how they are sold. They are sold when they are enormous, in very large heavy bunches. They are like cabbage but darker green, bitter, and don't form a head. People usually cook them into a mush.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2009 12:21PM

You women are very fortunate to have a source
of fresh, organic Greens. I'd like to add Kale and Collards
to my Diet, but can't get them.
I'd suggest that you don't steam any Green, best to not eat
it at all. If it's too strong, go with a paler Green. I always
liked Romaine Lettuce, but never cared for the Red Oak, or Curly...WY

Date: March 19, 2009 05:04PM

It is interesting to get conflicting advice - can we flesh out a bit more the argumemt between lightly steaming greens or omitting them completely from one's diet please?

Arugula - you obviously feel steaming is an ok option ?

Yogi - you feel that omitting greens from the diet and only eating a variety of salad leaves which include, in my case rocket and occasionally watercress (expensive) is nutritionally sound.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 19, 2009 06:55PM

For raw foodists, steaming won't be an option smiling smiley

However, the dark leafy greens (kale, chard, collards) have more cellulose and starch than the tender greens. Which means to digest them, cooking definitely helps. In general, it is the nature of cooking to take foods that are not digestible in their raw state and to make them digestible.

Myself, I just eat the lettuces, and my favorite is romaine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables