Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

wild mustard
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 18, 2009 05:38AM

I'm in southern cali. i see a ton of wild mustard. it looks like other edible things i have eaten (radish greens/dandylion greens). so i was wondering, can i pick this and eat it? I walk all over it every day all the time when i walk my dog.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wild mustard
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 18, 2009 12:50PM

I'm into foraging in the northeast where we have something that looks similar, but since the rabbits and deer are not fond of it I've not tried it. The dandelion here are just starting to leaf out.

In the valley (AZ) they have wild mustard and some even sell it. [www.azcentral.com] I've lived in Tempe and Scottsdale but wasn't into wild greens at the time.

The local grocery variety of mustard green is too strong for me, at least when trying to juice a bunch of it. I'll have to research and maybe try a nibble now of the local wild 'garlic mustard' when it comes up this summer.

Date: March 18, 2009 06:06PM

i know that the horses like it.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: March 18, 2009 06:21PM

hi..

due to it's extremely pungent character.... i would use it as a spice or condiment type of food. tearing up a few of the leaves and including it into a salad would be good...possible blending a small amount in a mini blender and creating a homemade "wasabi-replacement" condiment. turnip greens are related to this one and in my own experience it is one of a few that the ground hogs and rabbits decline to munch on.

small amounts of it added to a juice like celery cuke would be nice. i'm sure you can dream up more than a couple of juice combinations which would be spiced up a notch with its use. too much of it raw could produce a nagging unpleasant "burning" sensation upon urination as also do watercress and turnips for me, so be careful until you figure out how much is enough.

jj

Date: March 19, 2009 07:06AM

thanks!

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 19, 2009 07:50PM

> i know that the horses like it.

..one thing that I forgot to mention is that the picture above shows wild mustard plants that are flowering, which means they are mature plants and at their most potent regarding nutrients and anti-nutrients. I used to be a barn rat at a horse farm that had well kept pastures of grass. Out on the trail horses like to nibble when they get a chance and I'm sure your horses are not eating tons of mustard seeds but...

"MUSTARD (Wild and Field)
Here's the one I found most surprising. If you've ever ventured outside your house I can give a 99% guarantee you've seen mustard plants growing. The plant is not harmful in its infant state; however seeds and stems may be toxic. Mustard poisoning may cause birth defects in foals, and is usually characterized by photosensitivity, anorexia and gut discomfort. There is no cure for mustard poisoning but it takes quite a bit of just the right parts of the plant to be cause for concern." [www.socalequine.com]

..so it takes a lot of the wrong parts to be a concern, the plant in its "infant state" is not harmful. I'll try to remember that when foraging for it this spring.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables