Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Calcium Nonsense
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: March 18, 2009 12:58PM

I've always heard on television that calcium promoted strong teeth and bones. I always thought this to be nonsense as teeth and bones are made of calcium phosphate. How could you have strong teeth and bones if you do not have the necessary building blocks?
Anyways, I just read a report that says that taking calcium supplements by themselves could actually make your bones weaker! To gain benefits from taking calcium supplements, you have to take them with protein. here's the article: [www.metronews.ca]

I am going to start exercising and I will follow my own common sense by eating whole foods high in calcium, protein and phosphate. Anyone know which foods are high in phosphate?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calcium Nonsense
Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: March 19, 2009 06:08PM

Go easy on the phosphorus and Protein,they are very acidic. There should be a higher Ca to P ratio for better absorption...leafy greens are the best sources of calcium...Actually potassium,magnesium,boron and sunshine are as important as calcium for bone health.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2009 07:37PM

I've read that silica is more important to bones than calcium.

In the book, Biological Transmutations, they talk about how the silica in horsetail grass converts to calcium. If you break a bone, eat large quantities of horsetail and nettle, which are high in silica, and the bones will heal faster.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 19, 2009 08:41PM

SuperGreens,

Good to know; thanks!

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: March 19, 2009 08:52PM

Is it a good idea to supplement with silica?
What source should I look for?

Date: March 22, 2009 06:33PM

According to one source oats are the hightest in silicon 1.17%, then barley .82, dates .24, dried figs .18, strawberries .10, lettuce .08, cabbage .08, cherries .06, onions .06, raisins .06, asparagus .06 and others down to radishes with .01

cheers geo

Date: March 22, 2009 06:51PM

Oh something else that may be of interest. I researched the calcium thing awhile back, and the journal articals clearly showed that calcium supplements weren't the answer in treating osteoporosis. Exercise made a real difference, but there's not money in that so it's not promoted. The dairy/supplement industries would suffer if it was. Dairy is way down the list of foods high in calcium, and according to one source figs are the highest with five times more than cows milk.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables