Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

organic spring mix
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 19, 2009 09:57AM

what do you guys think of the organic spring mix greens that come in those containers at the store?

i know they are packaged, but do you think they ruin the greens in the packaging process? I have been eating them lately.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: organic spring mix
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 19, 2009 11:21AM

A. They cost 3-4x as much as romaine.
B. That's an awful lot of plastic to go through every day.
C. They are for rich people.

I have no objection nutritionally.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2009 01:13PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A. They cost 3-4x as much as romaine.
But if that's all you can get. Besides,
Romaine isn't that 'green'.

> B. That's an awful lot of plastic to go through
> every day.
That is a Bummer, but one can recycle.
> C. They are for rich people.
I like to spend money.
>
> I have no objection nutritionally.
I guess so.
I'm going to try a container in a Green Smoothie. It'll
probably be better than the Sea Vegetables I'm using now??

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 19, 2009 02:34PM

i like to use it from the baby greens mix when im in between cuttings of my own home grown baby greens mix smiling smiley

i reuse the plastic containers to start plants in smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 19, 2009 03:46PM

Ha-ha! I just bought Earthbound Farms Organic Herb Spring Mix yesterday because there was no loose organic lettuce otherwise(honestly, I think the stock boy's an idiot). Arugula's right that it's not worth the cost per amount. But mostly, it's the plastic, the damn ubiquitous plastic! We don't recycle that in my community and I just don't get why a company like EF cannot put their products into biodegradable packaging, like some of the Canadian produce I buy at Trader Joe's. It's true--"organic" doesn't mean "sustainable" to an agribusiness

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 19, 2009 10:15PM

[But if that's all you can get. ]

If the place sells baby spring mix it also sells other types of lettuces.

[Besides,
Romaine isn't that 'green'. ]

It's green enough. Baby spring mix isn't even in the USDA nutrient database so you don't really know how much "better" it might be. My guess is considering the normal digestive limits of a typical salad eater, who is probably not consuming more than 100-200 calories worth per day, is that the difference not that much nutritionally.

Date: March 20, 2009 04:14AM

I don't know if every co-op is the same, but the co-op in my city (which doesn't ever have what I want) sells bulk field greens by the pound. They are organic and really tasty. Perhaps you will find the same is true in your local co-op. And no need for going through the extra plastic...besides...I am on a "No plastic" kick because of the leeching of chemicals.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 20, 2009 11:10AM

One of my favorite greens is "baby spinach". The problem I have with the baby spinach is that they are available only in plastic like the "tub" pictured in the OP. Oh well. sad smiley

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: March 21, 2009 12:50PM

While I prefer to purchase greens un-packaged, sometimes availability, time, etc dictate that I purchase them in these containers. I think they taste fine and my rabbit loves them too!!

As far as the plastic containers go...they are the greatest storage bins for shoes, CDs, office supplies, yarn, fabric (I am an avid sewer), tools, electric cords, cleaning supplies, shampoo, first aid misc,etc, etc. Very few of mine go to waste. I used to teach high school science and took numerous containers to school. They were great to use when I set up lab experiments to sort/separate each group's supplies. These containers save money from purchasing Rubbermaid or Sterlite containers in the store. Just my two cents worth.

Patty

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: March 21, 2009 06:06PM

At some stores I can get spring greens in bulk, at some I have to get them in these plastic bins. They make really good containers for bringing a salad to work! Also, at the co-op I go to they let me re-use the plastic containers at their salad bar.

Does anyone know where I could get some glass containers with lids sort of this size and shape? I've seen those pyrex baking containers at Target, that might work. They aren't exactly the size and shape I want.

Thanks!

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 22, 2009 12:19AM

I get a really good deal on these, so they are really not that expensive for me. that's why i started getting them. I find the plastic containers to be really convenient. My nanny is able to use them for many different things. They are never thrown away. I was just considering the nutritional content of them because i am always under the impression package = bad.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 22, 2009 12:30AM

I love the way they taste, but for the first two reasons Arugula mentioned I don't buy them often. With added baby spinach they are my favorite greens.

We planted them in our winter garden this year and OMG, the freshest, most tender salads ever. We didn't add anything to them, just a finger food salad.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: March 22, 2009 09:06PM

I'm surprised at the lack of bulk spring mix in SoCo; it's much easier to get in Western Mass.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables