Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw round #2- Need help/advice/encourgement-
Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: March 22, 2009 12:59AM

Hi All!

I really would be so thankful and appreciative for any feed back to my concern.

I started raw in Jan 08 and did really good for about 6 mo. Thereafter I was on & off the raw wagon until I started 8/10/10 in Sept 08, had a good 6-8 weeks on it and then by mid Dec I was totally back on SAD. I could not manage to get my self back on the raw wagon the whole winter!! And I was beginning to get back into my old habits and feeling like crap. Then a mental light went on and I started to recall my motivations for wanting to go raw in the first place. I had a lot of self talk about it the first couple weeks of March, trying to decide weather or not to give it another try and which version of “raw diet” I was going to go back to, as there are so many. I decided on the 80/10/10 and have just completed my first week 100%!! Except last night I think I exceeded the 10% fat because in addition to avocado in my baby greens salad I added a little lemon juice and hemp seed oil because it just seemed so dry. And I woke in the middle of the night with heartburn.

Here’s my dilemma- I feel really good on 80/10/10 and to me the logic behind it makes sense. I really want to be successful on it this time but I am starting to get discouraged. The reason being- T.M.I. ALERT, and this is quite embarrassing for me to talk about, but if I don’t put it out there then I cant get any helpful feed back and opinions. Ok, the problem is on the 80/10/10 my elimination (BM) is uncontrollable. As in cant make it to the facilities!! Now, when I eat SAD I have the opposite problem and have to drink psyllium powder 2-3 times per day in order to keep the plumbing going. I do have a history of IBS. In fact as I sit here typing this, after drinking my banana, kale, mango smoothie, I can feel and hear my tummy just churning away! The smoothie was my lunch and for breakfast I had tangerines & strawberries.

So folks….Do you think my system will ever adjust? Did anyone else have this problem starting out on 8/10/10? I know it has only been a week, but if my system keeps this up for too much longer I fear I will loose hope that I can stay on it.

Thank you all again for your help and expertise! I am so thankful for this forum.

Peace,
Denise

P.S. I think there is something in the baby green mix that makes my tummy cramp. :-(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 01:11AM by pippin07.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw round #2- Need help/advise/encourgement-
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 22, 2009 01:27AM

I think 80-10-10 is a great way to do raw but I also think that the body needs time to adjust to changes. Fortunately we each have an inner coach to help us transition into theses changes. Our inner coach can help us to not move so fast that we become overwhelmed and also it can let us know when we are ready to move ahead. Its all a matter of realizing we do better cooperating with our bodies and moving on their time line rather then dictating the circumstances of change. Tuning in to your inner coach is like learning to dance with your partner leading and you following. It takes a little time and practice learning how to get in step with the body's music.

Re: Raw round #2- Need help/advice/encourgement-
Date: March 22, 2009 02:02AM

Opps, entered this post on wrong thred.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 02:05AM by EZ rider.

Re: Raw round #2- Need help/advise/encourgement-
Date: March 22, 2009 03:16AM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think 80-10-10 is a great way to do raw but I
> also think that the body needs time to adjust to
> changes. Fortunately we each have an inner coach
> to help us transition into theses changes.

Thanks Ez rider

So do you think it is actually better to transition than to just dive in %100?

Date: March 22, 2009 04:03AM

pippin07

So do you think it is actually better to transition than to just dive in %100?

I think the way to provide what your body needs when it is needed is to tune in to your body and use your inner coach as your guide.
For some people this may mean going a little slower depending on how your body is responding. If your body is responding well then stay the course.

Date: March 22, 2009 05:03AM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pippin07So do you think it is actually better to
> transition than to just dive in %100?
>
> I think the way to provide what your body needs
> when it is needed is to tune in to your body and
> use your inner coach as your guide.
> For some people this may mean going a little
> slower depending on how your body is responding.
> If your body is responding well then stay the
> course.

Not sure I can trust my inner coach because I think my inner coach has a personality disorder. winking smiley
Seriously though, as much as I would like to just take off at 100% it may not be the best thing for me. Tonight I ended up having a baked potato for dinner in order to slow things down and I feel pretty good right now. Only thing is in the past whenever I would have cooked food while transitioning it just made it easier to slip back into eating cooked more frequently, then before I know it I'm back to square A.

Thanks EZ rider!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 22, 2009 05:18AM

Pippin, maybe you could try going all raw, but not necessarily 80-10-10?

I'm not 80-10-10, but still very happy being all raw. smiling smiley

And the amount of raw nuts/seeds that I eat - although it's not 80-10-10 - hasn't put weight on me. In fact I'm very small, and even lost weight this year.

Once you're comfortable just staying raw, then maybe you could try getting closer to 80-10-10 and see if you like that better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 05:20AM by suncloud.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 22, 2009 06:33AM

Oh, just noticed you got heartburn when you had the avocado/hemp oil.

Does that usually happen when you're raw, but not 80-10-10? Or is this just from the hemp oil? If it's specifically from the hemp oil, could you have substituted something else?

Or maybe just more exercise would help?

If you're trying to avoid "square A", but you're seeing a pattern of ending up there whenever you try to transition with some cooked foods, then it might help to consider some different strategies.

For instance, there may be some cooked "transition" foods that aren't as likely to pull you back to "square A". Maybe steamed veggies would not have as much of that "square A" effect as cooked starches. I found that to be true in my case.

I also found that it really helped to allow myself to experiment with the full array of raw vegan foods.

If you're able to allow yourself a little leeway among the raw foods, you might find it easier to stay raw for longer periods, and then even stay raw completely. Later you could modify your raw diet as you felt you needed/wanted to.

Along the way, you could still experiment (with fasting, juice fasting, 80-10-10, or whatever). But when you felt the need/desire for something less restrictive, you could fall back on a more varied raw food diet, rather than all the way back to square A. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 06:41AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Maxi ()
Date: March 22, 2009 06:54AM

You Go Mama!!!

You have come very far and are soaring through good health. Believe in yourself. Maybe say some positive affirmations on being at one with your body...ex. I am at ONE with my body, and In each moment, I feel what my body needs, and respond readily.

It could have been the lemon in the salad that caused the heartburn, seeing as how it is acidic before being digested.

Happy Healing smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables