Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fasting and Birth control
Posted by: satori108 ()
Date: March 24, 2009 03:24PM

This might be a silly question but....I was planning to start a fast tomorrow and I was wondering if it might alter the effectiveness of my birth control pills. Does anyone know about this? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fasting and Birth control
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 25, 2009 06:32AM

geeez what a fantastic question

i'm sorry that i don't know the answer

ummmm...you've probably looked into this subject already ( since your name is "satori" ) and its really none of my business but in case you haven't, i would deeply delve into all the adverse effects of birth control as there are many

it is especially helpful to go online and talk to other women who have been on birth control and some of the adverse effects that they have experienced

kinda scary

Date: March 25, 2009 07:26PM

Good Point. I know that there are adverse effects to birth control....I've been through a couple brands that have given me bad side effects. I have a huge fear of pregnancy before I'm ready. Mine is a very low dose and doesn't effect me like the others before did. I figure it's worth it to take that small amount of chemicals in order to have peace of mind or my life changed entirely.

Date: March 25, 2009 07:52PM

What kind of fast are you going to do, satori? Diahorrea is supposed to affect the effectiveness if it occurs within X hours of taking the pill.

I always thought condoms were way more effective than the pill... though obviously, um, not all that convenient sometimes- and vegan condoms are sometimes hard to come by <insert joke!> winking smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 26, 2009 05:58AM

hey satori

i understand

good luck on the fast and life smiling smiley

Date: March 26, 2009 07:38PM

Thanks for the well wishes la veronique. smiling smiley

Suspendedindefinitely,

I am on a juice fast. I found out that you can juice fast for 14 days without effecting fertility. I am on my 2nd day and so far no diahrrhea for me. I hope it stays that way. LOL. I senna tea at night which is a laxative but I don't take my pill anytime near that.

So far I have to say that this is way better than master cleanse. Maybe because my body already knows what it's like to fast, but the juice fast is working well for me. I'm buying some mango and pinapple tonight. So funny, but I'm real excited about tomorrows juice.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 26, 2009 09:45PM

perfectly normal to be excited about juice. i eat green smoothies or fruit most of the day (well, sprouts and green juice, too), then eat something like tomatoes and zuchini later, then can't wait for what i'm goign to make the next day!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:21PM

i know grapefruit juice can render some birth control pills useless (google it my doctor told me about that back in the 80's) not sure about other juices smiling smiley

inititally i would say no juiceing probably wont harm your contraceptavies as you are still taking in nutrients just no fiber so you are not really fasting

but the body is a funny thing so ya never know smiling smiley i have no idea whats inthe grapefruit that screws up the pill maybe someone else knows smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: joewood ()
Date: March 27, 2009 03:02AM

Hi,

My wife's gyno told her that Penicillin can counteract b.c. pills but this was about 25yrs ago. I'm not sure if any updated info on this exists. I agree that every woman should be vigilant about b.c pills AND their side effects. They are, after all a 'foreign' pharmaceutical just like any other drug one might introduce into their bodies.

And YES... babies will change one's life but I'm not sure if anyone's ever TRULY ready for the amount of change they bring; Joyful & uh.... not so much so... Mine are 34,32,29, &..... 11. I don't think I was ever 'ready' for any of 'em lookin' back on it.

Joe

Love is patient, love is kind, it is not self-seeking, love ALWAYS protects,always endures. (1corinthians 13)

God IS love!! (1john4)
Jesus Christ...... The ONLY way to Heaven.
I am the Way, the Truth & the Life..(John 14:6)

Date: March 27, 2009 01:28PM

Jgunn and Joewood,

I did hear about the grapefruit juice and antibiotic, but thanks for being thoughtful enough to put out the info. smiling smiley Oh and I know a "juice fast" isn't a traditional fast. But for lack of a better word...

Oh and i juiced the mangos...but the "juice" was so thick I didn't know if it really counted as juice. Bummer because I love mangos so much. So I froze it to have mango sorbet when this is over. Yea pinapple tonight!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables