Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

tried 80 10 10 for just today! oh boy!!!
Posted by: EddieOrso ()
Date: March 31, 2009 09:23PM

For me i need about 3000 calories to not lose weight, i work out
for an hour every morn, and a high energy guy.

I tried 80 10 10, just today...oh my gosh do you have to eat a lot of food.
It's crazy~ dont know how to make this possible without being glued to your home and fridge.

any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tried 80 10 10 for just today! oh boy!!!
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 31, 2009 10:44PM

Avocados are Approximately 75% fat [en.wikipedia.org] so they don't fit the 80-10-10 very well but they do add plenty of calories. I eat about 70% fresh fruit in my diet and avocados are a fruit so they work well in my diet and the remaining 30% is veggies. I eat avocados everyday and remain nice and lean ? I wonder if the body responds to fresh natural whole fruit fat differently then it does to cooked ? Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or opinions about the fat in avocados and other raw foods ?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 01, 2009 01:48AM

[ dont know how to make this possible without being glued to your home and fridge.

any thoughts?]

This is why many people on 80-10-10 eat so many bananas. They aren't all that bulky and they contain about 105 calories each for the medium size.

You could also juice, which is the easiest way to pack in the calories on a low fat diet, but try to get at least 20 pieces of intact fruit and at least a half head of lettuce every day so that you get enough fiber.

It *will* take tons of produce. Not every day but maybe every 200 days!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 01, 2009 04:51AM

It takes some practice. The stomach needs to be able to stretch some to hold the bulkier raw foods. And after some time (years), you will need less foods.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 01, 2009 08:24AM

bananas

Date: April 01, 2009 11:36AM

thanks so much! i had a feeling banana's were key. I have been eating about
5-6 a day, and feeling totally great. I kinda like keeping things simple...

6 bananas, 4 mangos, 5 oranges, 4 apples...bunch spinach, bunch red lettuce.

instead of combining 100 different foods to make up for the calories.

hmmmm, love learning this stuff...been quite the journey to finding balance.
Lots of fun!

thanks again

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 01, 2009 02:14PM

Doug Graham has a pound of bananas (8 medium) in one meal in his book. That is 8 bananas combined with another fruit, so even more bananas if you are mono eating.

If you go on Amazon and look inside his book, you can look at sample menus.

We are buying a 40 pound box of bananas a week and I I still have to buy some off the shelf. There are 6 of us.

Date: April 01, 2009 05:02PM

there was a time when i was eating 20 bananas in one sitting. it's more strange for the mind to get used to this then the body.

Date: April 01, 2009 06:23PM

ILoveJen....what is your diet like now on a typical day?
just curious.

Date: April 01, 2009 07:47PM

eddie it changes a lot. sometimes i like some things, and other times i like other things. usually i will be attracted to one fruit more then all other fruits, and my day will be mainly of that. like in my banana days i would eat over 20 bananas a day. i don't know why, but for some reason i just started to crave bananas, and then it was mostly all i wanted to eat. i made banana salads, i ate them plain, bananas with celeries, bananas wrapped in lettuce, bananas bananas bananas.

i haven't had a banana in a long time though...

right now i am juice feasting. i have been for the past two months. i have been really into juices lately. when i started it was mostly orange juice with a little bit of green juice. now it is the other way around. i am drinking a lot of wheatgrass juice, celery juice, chard, kale, green lettuce, spinach, baby spring mix. i drink a little orange juice too. maybe about 30 - 40 oz of green juice and 8 - 12 oz of orange juice a day along with a grip of water. i plan on ending the feast sometime next week i think. i'm not sure what i am going to break my feast with or what i will be eating afterwards.

normally i wake up and i eat tons and tons of fruits. it really depends on the time of year and how i feel like which fruits i am more attracted to, and what is going on in my life. last meal of the day i'll have a huge salad... types of fruits and veggies that go in really depends. it's hard to say specially right now because i am feasting and not in the normal routine.

i don't know how helpful that was. =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 07:53PM by ILoveJen.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: April 02, 2009 11:12PM

It's pretty easy if you make banana romaine spjnach smoothies. The bananas I buy always seem to be 4 ounces per peeled banana. Not too hard to eat a pound of bananas and I tend to only like eating a pound of bananas at a time. I like trying to eat about 2 lbs of fruit per sitting with one meal being a romaine banana smoothie. The oranges I buy always seem to be pretty much 8 ounces per peeled orange. so: breakfast of two pounds cantaloupe, 6 kiwi and 4 bananas, 4 oranges, two bananas and a pound of romaine, 5 medium apples. I do this until I hit about 2000 calories. This seems to maintain my weight where it is now. I actually do about a tbsp of ground flax seed with cinnamin and a brazil nut mixed with the apple chunks. Tastes like apple pie and it keeps me well within the 811 guidelines while giving me the omegas and my selenium intake. Hope that helps.

GW
PS I use fitday.com when I deviate from my norms. I tend to lay my food out in the morning. I am a nurse and I'm out of the house for 13 hours on average. Load it all in a backpack and away I go!winking smiley

Date: April 03, 2009 05:06AM

yea, smoothies are a great idea to pack in the calories. =)

i hate what happens to bananas though when you put them in smoothies. they have this bitter edge to them. i think smoothying the bananas makes them gross. I heard that if you pulse the blender, then it removes the bitter edge. like they get like that when you get the tornado in the top because the air gets in and they oxidize. i've tried pulsing, but i can never get it right. the bananas always seem to taste gross after blending... =(

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 03, 2009 05:22AM

I find the bananas only have a bitter edge if they are not ripe enough. I have a banana/raspberry smoothie every day smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables