Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Foods, Local Produce & Boredom?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 09, 2009 12:52AM

Just looking for some thoughts on the "local" movement with regards to raw foodism. I belong to a year-round local organic produce co-op, and for the past few months, it's been mainly root veggies, mushrooms and onions. I obviously supplement from the grocery store, but still try to keep in local, as much as possible. But, I have to say, it's sometimes hard to not buy that imported red pepper or pineapple, in the middle the winter, after one too many boring salads. Any thoughts on how to spice up my winter menu without being an eco-offender! LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Foods, Local Produce & Boredom?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 09, 2009 12:57AM

I find that sometimes you just have to get something imported. That said, I like to go berry picking in the summer and stock my freezer with quart bags of different things. It really adds some fund and variety to a dull winter diet when I can pull out a bag of blueberries, raspberries, or tart cherries once in a while. I dehydrate during the summer too, but I don't enjoy the dehydrated foods as much.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: April 09, 2009 02:33PM

I just don't bother with that restriction. I do enough with my diet, without making things more difficult. To me it's way more important to eat raw and organic than local. I find it's practically impossible to eat local, unless I barely want variety and that's not an option. There's not enough variety as it is until summer.

Maybe you can find other sources in your area that you haven't tried before. I've been trying the local co-op here too, and it's getting difficult with the limit of variety. Whole Foods isn't always the best option either. Just gotta work with what we got somehow. I'm just grateful for what I can get since I have more access than many do in other areas.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 09, 2009 03:25PM

I also don't bother with the local produce restriction. I buy local produce when what I want is available locally, but if what I want is not local, I just buy it, assuming the price is acceptable to me.

Posted by: RawRaw ()
Date: April 20, 2009 03:30PM

i eat whatever is available that i enjoy. keeps it easy.

Date: April 20, 2009 08:19PM

Hi Tara

I prefer to eat local and or homegrown too! There are so many weird and wonderful fruits and veggies out there. It was going to my local farmers market that made me realise that local produce was far more exciting than the supermarket!

If you have a windowsill spare maybe you could grow some more unusual mixes of salad leaves in a small tub? And how about sprouts? Maybe prepare a basic salad with grated root veggies, mixed with fenugreek sprouts and a raw curry sauce? Or even a salad made completely of mixed sprouts- alfalfa, mung bean, chick peas- with a simple lemon and olive/hemp oil dressing?

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: April 21, 2009 03:13AM

What do fenugreek sprouts taste like? I have a whole bag of the seeds that I used to use for lentil dishes.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 21, 2009 03:04PM

Fenugreek sprouts have a nice, licorice flavor. You can sprout them until they've just developed a tail and are still mostly seed, or let them go several days until they're a leafy green sprout. The flavor is not too mild, so you might want to make a small batch as a salad additive the first time and see what you think.

I've had good luck with fenugreek sold as a spice (not as a seed) still being viable, but I don't know whether this is likely to be true with most suppliers. Good luck sprouting yours!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables