Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

seaweed salad
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 22, 2006 05:20AM

Greetings.
One of my bredren said that he loves seaweed salad. He was introduced to it at a raw food resturant in Washington. Does anyone know how to put one of these treats together?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: seaweed salad
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 23, 2006 12:32AM

My health food store sells Soken Sea Vegetable Salad, which is a half ounce serving of a seaweed salad @ $4.45. It has wakame, kuki wakame, akamodoki, akanori, and agar-agar. Here is a link to a picture of the package (its the very last picture). When you soak the dehydrated seaweed in water, it expands to a full size salad.

I sometimes buy bulk wakame, sea palm, kombu, dulse, hijiki, arame, and some local seaweeds to make my own salads.

As for veggies in the salad, I like to add cucumbers and celery.

Posted by: RawGuy2000 ()
Date: July 23, 2006 03:09AM

Brian, is Hijiki cool for me to use if I am struggling with Candida? It's fine, right? or is it bad? Just curious because I love hijiki.

Date: July 24, 2006 05:32PM

Greetings.
This seaweed combination you metioned sounds great. However, I am still not clear on how one may prepare it. Do you create any kind of special sauce? You see, I have never had one myself so I don't know nothing about seaweed salad, which is why I need help learning to create one!

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: July 25, 2006 03:41AM

If anyone has any info about where to buy seaweed in bulk in the UK, I'm all ears (:

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 25, 2006 06:26PM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If anyone has any info about where to buy seaweed
> in bulk in the UK, I'm all ears (:

Hey, me too! I've just got someone to bring some over from Spain, it's fairly cheap over there. I'll let you know if I find anyone else to bring me an order over. A friend of mine was trying to get a group of people together to put in a wholesale order with the Spanish supplier but we needed to order 50kg and he never got enough people.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: July 25, 2006 11:17PM

cheers Rob. it would be great if Funky Raw supplied it! nudge nudge (:

Date: July 26, 2006 07:18AM

Well, we're going to be selling this Sea Spaghetti coming over from Spain very soon, I was planning on doing it in 100g bags, what kind of size bags would you be interested in?

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 26, 2006 12:43PM

don't care
as long as it has seaweed in it

me luvvvvs seaweed!!

oh yeah
here is how u prepare it
cuz i 've had lots o seaweed in my lifetime
most of them unidentifiable too ( hey! i'm adventurous!)
just get some of that seaweed

soak it in water
til it gets all nice and soft

cut it up into manageable pieces
u can squirt some oranges into it if u want

chop up some green onions
sprinkle some sesame seeds on it

then chomp chomp chompety chomp

you see?

its all very simple

oh yeah

chew chew chew

cuz its the chewiest thing going on!

Date: July 27, 2006 06:49PM

LoL, I will make sure to mash this recipe up! Give thanks for telling me how to make one. Sounds yummy

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: July 27, 2006 09:22PM

That's it - la veronique! I always knew that you were so special, POETIC and unique, but I never figured it out until now - YOU'RE A MERMAID! It's suddenly all come together!!!!!!!

But, how do you ride your bike?

Anyhow - so as not to hijack the message - where's the best web site for buying seaweed? Anybody know?

Life Is Good!

alive!

Date: July 27, 2006 09:53PM

Funky Rob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, we're going to be selling this Sea Spaghetti
> coming over from Spain very soon, I was planning
> on doing it in 100g bags, what kind of size bags
> would you be interested in?
>
> Rob

ohh that sounds good Rob! I just checked, the stuff I get (wakame, kombu etc) comes in 50g bags/boxes, it's the fact that in comes wrapped in plastic, then boxed as well, that puts me off - all that packaging for a just a handful of seaweed! anything from 100g to 300g would be good, I reckon.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: July 28, 2006 07:11PM

ooh I make the BEST seaweed salad -

I like the seaweeds that only require soaking for a couple minutes cuz I'm lazy - so hijiki and wakame (I think some wakame takes longer but I get the fast kind)

I start with a regular mixed green salad, add hijiki & wakame, then for flavor I toss on some of that commercially prepared seaweed salad that looks like jelly that you get at sushi places, then I add some lemon

I also add a shaved bonito & sesame seasoning - might be hard for most ppl to find though unless you have an Asian market nearby - just make sure you get the ones w/o MSG

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: July 30, 2006 06:38PM

I'd say 1/2-1 kg of mixed seaweed would be yummy

Posted by: Anna67 ()
Date: July 30, 2006 08:05PM

Hi Rob,
I'd be happy to go on list if you need more Uk peeps to share seaweed order.
Cheers,

Anna
anna@bloye.net

P.s I like mine soaked in cider vinigar then doused in white pepper!Especially good for kombu, reminiscant of chomping on whelks as a kid!

Date: August 18, 2006 11:23PM

Update: We're now selling "Sea Spaghetti" which is my favourite kind of seaweed, I've never been able to find it in England before: [www.funkyraw.com]

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 19, 2006 12:19AM

Bonito is dried fish, right?

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: August 19, 2006 06:52PM

Yes, bonito is a form of dried tuna from what I found on the web.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: August 20, 2006 01:33AM

Does anyone know of a source for sea spaghetti in the U.S.? I've found one website in Ireland that will ship internationally but I'd rather find a source in the U.S.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: August 20, 2006 01:49AM

Hi Marcos,

I got some kelp noodles in the US, they from a company called Sea Tangle, they are made in California, and for the life of me I can't remember where I bought them. To tell the truth I'm not 100% sure if they are raw, but I wasn't able to find information that says they are cooked either.

Their website is www.kelpnoodles.com.

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: August 21, 2006 11:37PM

Thanks Sodoff. I'll check them out.

Marcos

Date: August 21, 2006 11:41PM

Sodoff,

Judging by what I read I would say they are cooked but I did email them and will post their response when I get it.

Peace,

Marcos

Date: August 22, 2006 01:02AM

I think they might be cooked as well. I openned the packet and tasted them the other day, they don't really taste of anything, a little while afterwards I notice a slight discormfort in my belly. They do look pretty, but I don't think I'll eat them again (maybe I'll give them another shot if the company claims they are raw).

I wonder what seaweeds could be made into raw noodles/pastas. Maybe something very light in color that could be cut up to look like pasta.

Ian.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 22, 2006 04:34AM

I've recently learned that seaweeds are the filters of the oceans, and as such pick up a lot of the pollution, including the heavy metals that are in the oceans. It looks like I will be cutting my seaweed consumption way down.

Posted by: Baby ()
Date: August 22, 2006 05:46PM

[seaveg.com]

This is the best, I love them. A lot of their stuff is raw too, and organic.

Date: August 22, 2006 06:33PM

Actually,

All the raw seaweed I get comes from Maine Coast Sea Veggies and is certified organic and clean and free of pollutants.

Their website is [seaveg.com]

All of their packaged seaweed is raw but, if you're after nori sheets they have raw and cooked so look carefully.

Cheers,

Marcos

Date: August 23, 2006 03:20AM

Sodoff,

Just want you to know that I received a reply about kelp noodles from the company you mentioned. Here's their reply to me.

Sea Tangle Noodle Company
<info@kelpnoodles.com> to me
More options 1:37 pm (9 hours ago)
Hello and thanks for your inquiry. Our noodles are considered to be a raw product as there is no heat used while producing the noodles. We hope that you enjoy these noodles. Thank you for your interest!

Sea Tangle Noodle Company
www.kelpnoodles.com

Marcos

Date: August 23, 2006 03:46AM

Cool. I wonder how they make them then.

Thanks for the info.
Ian.

Date: August 24, 2006 12:55AM

Not sure Ian. I guess they could run seaweed through a homegenizer attachment of spaghetti attachment and then it come out all spaghettie like.

Cheers,

Marcos

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables