Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw babies
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 13, 2009 08:04PM

Hi, I'm looking for advice about feeding my 10 month old baby. I have tons of recipes for smoothies, green smoothies, juices, soups, etc., but the thing I'm curious about is amounts and how often and being sure she is getting enough variety. I feel like this is the hardest part of having a baby. I'm breastfeeding and that's going great, and we've been incorporating a lot of fruits and greens into her diet. Most material I've been reading says to give her foods cut up really small - but it seems like she chokes on it. I've been putting most of her food through the blender and putting it in a sippy cup or baby food grinder and spoon feeding. According to what I'm reading, we're behind.

Has anyone else gone through this or have some advice?

Thanks, Michele

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw babies
Date: April 13, 2009 08:08PM

Gabriel Cousens has some great info on feeding babies and infants. Rainbow Green Live Food Cusine has one chapter devoted to this. His other book Conscious Eating has more in-depth info

Date: April 13, 2009 08:36PM

Thanks!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 13, 2009 09:59PM

10 months is pretty young. I would keep it simple. Give her things like mashed bananas, avocado, apple sauce, mashed berries, water melon. Breastfeeding should keep her thriving till she is older. I have been told by a La Leche league leader that the more they breastfeed until they are at least a year, the better. The less other food they consume, the more breast milk they consume.

I would stay away from things she could choke on.

Date: April 13, 2009 10:19PM

Do you read Herbert Shelton? He is a powerful writer! I love reading his stuff but you have to be careful. He has amazing advice, but not all of it is good. Some of his writings are from the 1930's and is outdated, but for the most part his nutritional advice is excellent.

THE HYGIENIC CARE OF CHILDREN
by HERBERT M. SHELTON, D. P., D. N. T., D. N. Sc.
Copyright 1931 by the Author.

[www.soilandhealth.org]

This book is incredible!!! Shelton rules!!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 13, 2009 10:49PM

i can't eat raw babies they give me heartburn smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: April 13, 2009 11:32PM

thanks for the reassurance pakd4fun! I probably need to stay away from conventional books which have 4+ month olds eating pureed chicken!!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: April 14, 2009 02:59AM

One of my kids didn't eat much until she was a year, but she was still a little fatty because she (and my other three) were breast fed. Is she gaining weight normally? If so, I wouldn't worry about it yet; just feed her whatever raw foods agree with her and she likes -- avocados and mushy fruit are great. As soon as my youngest got molars, she was eating lettuce, radishes and onions -- and loving them!! Kind of strange, but I can't complain!!!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 14, 2009 03:03AM

a really good friend of mine has a 2 year old that wont eat anything but fruit and veggies smiling smiley she rejects meat , dairy and wheat products .. my friend is freaking out cuz her kid wont eat *normal* im like dudette dont worry about it , as logn as shes healthy , sh'll either come around and eat that crap or turn out to be a vegan lol tongue sticking out smiley

personally i think her tender little body is in tune enough to reject such obnoxious things smiling smiley perhaps even being allergic to them enough to know enough at 2 years old they make her feel YUCKY. go children ! smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: April 14, 2009 04:30AM

It's vital that the child has a consistent and reliable source of Vitamins D and
B12.

For practical and responsible vegan guidelines for raising children, I would
suggest Dr. John McDougall's website as a starting resource. There is a large
archive of newsletter articles covering just about every nutritional topic, such
as calcium needs, problems with dairy, and likely dietary issues with children.

At least with Dr. John McDougall and similar people, there is a track record
of responsible advice and success with people. I would not put my child's
fate into the hands of various raw proponents who are constantly changing
their dietary dogma to meet their needs over the years. That may be acceptable
to some adults, but a developing child has more drastic consequences to face
if any of that dogma proves to be wrong.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 10:13AM

I used to give mine blended sprouts, alfala and mung andcucumber lettuce with some apple, they loved it.

Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: April 15, 2009 07:49PM

mmmm raw babies..

just kidding. =]

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: April 16, 2009 07:59PM

I didn't have time to put full info on previous post.I used to give mine mostly raw organic foods and nut and seed milks too, these days Hemp milk is good and there is also a raw food vegan baby formula based on hemp milk now if that is your choice.

[empressorganics.vpweb.com]

Posted by: lotusblossom9 ()
Date: April 21, 2009 02:06AM

Hi Michele,

Our baby is almost 10 months. He usually eats solid foods about 4 or 5 times a day and is breastfed. As far as amounts go, I feed him until he spits food out or refuses any more food. He is fed with a spoon and he eats some things himself with his hands like pieces of bananas, mango, and avocado.

Regarding Vitamin D and B12, I give him a multivitamin for infants that contains both, and I take a multivitamin as well. We go outside for sunshine every day, weather permitting, for at least 15 minutes. Although not raw, I do add a little nutritional yeast once and awhile to his food for the B12.

Not sure if any of this is "right", but it's what we have been doing. =)

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: April 21, 2009 07:54PM

My oldest just turned 2 - he's really turning into his dad - a big time meat eater - and nothing else!! argh. He's also going through this phase where he is rejecting fruit smoothies with veggies. It's really tough because he won't eat anything. I'd definitely stick with at least some breastmilk for as long as possible. It's something they like, and once you stop it's over - so don't be in a rush to wean. There is a thing-y you can buy at Toys R Us and it looks like a popcicle stick with a mesh bag and you can stuff whole fruits and veggies inside and it's a safe way for them to be introduced to them because they have to use their teeth and gums to work it out through the mesh. You'll know it when you see it, but I forget the name. Good luck though, it sounds like you are doing good. And I second the comments that say to not be afraid to supplement. It's much better than doing without because the kids turn their noses up at what's served. My 2 year old doesn't care for anything crunchy - so I can't get him to eat any nuts or veggies at all. This is where I wish I could have breastfed him longer, because maybe that may have made up for some of the deficiencies.

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables