Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dried fruits
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: April 14, 2009 11:23PM

How long do you have to soak a dried fruit until it's fully hydrated again?

Which dried fruits do you find the best tasting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dried fruits
Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 15, 2009 05:52PM

Dried fruits will never get back to their original level of hydration. They will soak up water and get softer, but not that much.

One of my favorite dried fruit recipes is a golden raisin syrup that I learned from a YouTube video. Soak the golden raisins until they're somewhat soft (an hour should be plenty). Then put them in a blender with just enough water to blend. The resulting syrup is really yummy mixed into a fruit salad.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2009 04:55AM

I love dried fruit and could sit down and eat a whole bag of it without blinking and eye, Problem is that the stomach doesn't do so well with it. And if you buy the stuff in the stores much of it has the stuff in it to preserve it, which is unhealthy in itself.

I've tried doing the drying process myself with one of those drying machines, but it's really time consuming and wasn't as easy for me as I was lead to believe.

I love strawberries and apples in the dried form and until recently have never been able to find the strawberries that tasted like strawberries once the were dried. I now eat this stuff called Fruitalicious which is just dried fruit without anything else added..love it..and the strawberries are so strawberrriiie! Good luck!

[gethealthyeatraw.wholefoodfarmacy.com]
[piffleandprattle.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2009 09:14PM

About 20 minutes of soaking is a good time for smaller dried fruits like goji berries, raisins, and apricots. You could soak bigger fruits like sun-dried tomatoes and dates for an hour or two.

Date: April 19, 2009 10:05PM

You can buy some dried fruits partially hydrated, but I agree with frances. It's not the same. Although dried fruits get used a lot in raw recipe books, I always got the impression it was more for convenience and taste than for health i.e. to make sweet bases for raw pies and cakes. I doubt soaking a dried fruit is going to raise its nutrition back to truly raw status in anyway.

Also, lot of dried fruit may also use sulfur dioxide as a preservative (which apparently stops your body from absorbing B vits*).

I seldom soak dried fruits for more than 1/2 hour but that's often because I can't be bothered to wait if I'm making a recipe! smiling smiley

* from the Liver Detox Diet Book.

Posted by: RawRaw ()
Date: April 20, 2009 03:21PM

apricots, peaches, cherries are good. most i find good.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 20, 2009 04:34PM

My least favorite dried fruit has been blueberries. Maybe it's just the particular supplier where I shop, but the dried blueberries are pretty flavorless.

Posted by: RawRaw ()
Date: April 21, 2009 11:02PM

thats good to know since ive never tried them. normally dont like fresh ones either. think only once did i try ones that tasted good.

frances Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My least favorite dried fruit has been
> blueberries. Maybe it's just the particular
> supplier where I shop, but the dried blueberries
> are pretty flavorless.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 22, 2009 01:00AM

RawRaw,

Oh, I so wish you lived where I do, because there's prime blueberry growing land nearby, and there's a farm that grows organic heirloom blueberries and brings them to my local farmers market in July and I'm already dreaming about their sweet, fragrant, creamy lusciousness! You can tell I'm excited by the run-on sentence, above : )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables