Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Knee pain
Posted by: customagic ()
Date: July 23, 2006 04:20AM

Hi! I have been suffering form knee pain recently..
OK. I have not been raw for a while..I have 2 small kids and have to take care of them mostly by myself. I carry my younger child all the time.

I have no one to ask for help while I rest my knee for a week or so.
My knee is swallen and painful especially when I put any pressure.

Is there any natural way to heal my pain?
Should I go on a special diet or fast?

Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Knee pain
Posted by: Gramlin ()
Date: July 23, 2006 02:16PM

Try boiling up ginger (dried and powdered is fine) in a pan then putting a flannel in the mixture and applying it as a compress, hot as you can stand it. Keep doing that.

Are you getting enough Manganese? What about omegas, and any other anti-inflamatory nutrients?

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 24, 2006 02:34AM

In addition to Gramlin's suggestions, you might consider water fasting for a day or more, or even 1 day a week, combined with a healthy raw food diet, if that's feasible given your situation.

A regular daily walk might be helpful. I don't know if you have a stroller for two, but if you do, you can put both kids in it and push the stroller. Those kind of strollers might be expensive, but you could possibly pick one up for cheap at the Good Will or Salvation Army, or maybe call around at thrift stores (I just saw one at the local Salvation Army).

Also, I'm wondering if instead of carrying your littlest one all the time (on your hip?), maybe she can go into a backpack baby carrier. I've never used one, so I don't know how convenient they are for around the house. But if your baby were on your back, you would not have so much pressure on your knee, and also the weight would be more balanced onto both knees. Or if you are carrying your baby on your hip, you might try switching hips whenever you can, if you don't already.

Arnica is an herb traditionally used for swelling. You can buy it in a cream or gel, and also take the tablets internally.

One last thing. Maybe you can put your littlest one down more often, as long as she's in a safe place. She needs you to stay healthy for her!

Best wishes, Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2006 02:36AM by Ally.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 24, 2006 10:49AM

Opinions:

-If you are overweight, reducing your weight will put less strain on the knee joints. Eating more vegetables can facilitate this.

-Avoid cooked and processed foods wherever possible. Which will irritate an increasingly sensitive system.

-Drink plenty of fresh, pure water when you are not eating.

-Get plenty of reasonable sunlight & fresh air.

-As suggested, get in a good walk every day.

-Lightly exercise the joint with a good rub down and very light yoga.

-Avoid salts that might cause you to bloat or retain water.

-Power & success to you!

-David Mason

Posted by: customagic ()
Date: July 29, 2006 05:00AM

Thank you all for your suggestions.
My older one is already 6 and I have a stroller for my younger one (21 months old). I live in NYC and I have to use subway all the time and I have to carry the stroller with my younger one in it. It may be the cause..

I started Master Cleanser and so far I have the same condition.
I was hoping some detoxing can help...
I hope this pain goes away because it is tough to go around with two kids with my knee condition.

I am nearing 40 and I am wondering this may be premature aging?
I hope not..
My mother has the same conditon...but she is already over 60.
I am going to a doctor next week but I do not want to take medication.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 29, 2006 11:14AM

-All you can do is what you can do. Large external events are composed of the small things that you do every day to intentionally move at your goals.

-David Mason

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: July 29, 2006 01:38PM

I have found that drinking the ginger tea mentioned above, or adding fresh ginger to my smoothie in the morning keeps joint pain away for me.

I used to make up a half gallon of very strong ginger tea, and keep it in the refrigerator. I'd add it to herbal tea, or juice - gives it a big ZING and is very refreshing. Plus the joint pain went away.

It might help!

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: July 29, 2006 05:22PM

I suffered with knee pain when i did a lot of running.

I found that placing a few drops of Bach flower rescue remedy / five flower into a carrier base cream or oil and massaging into the knees before getting out of bed and before exercise beneficial.

I have passed this on to many over the years, most people found it worked for them.

good luck smiling smiley

Date: July 30, 2006 11:01PM

another idea -

- U might be getting too much protein? that would make the body too acidic...with the ph out of ballance...
or
- some vegies r to be avoided by people susceptible to gout...= too much uric acid

just some food for thought

LOVE & BLESSINGS,
Basia

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: July 31, 2006 02:49PM

For knee pain remember RICE -

Rest
Ice or heat (alternate at first to figure out which one feels better)
Compression
Elevation

But go to the doctor 1st to figure out what's causing it. If you're not used to a lot of physical activity and suddenly you're working your knees more, it could be something simple as your thigh muscles not being strong enough to support the added pressure on your knee joint.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables