Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

extremely low iron levels and poor binding
Posted by: markfi ()
Date: April 17, 2009 04:18PM

I have a dear friend who has been having extremely low iron issues her whole life since she was 17. Her iron does not bind and hence she is always weak. On one hand I want to get her into the raw lifestyle but on the other hand I know people who are raw have trouble with iron sometimes. Here are some of the things she says she is going through:

' I have been put on an iron-supplement regiment for the 3rd time in 3 years. i am currently taking 325 mg. of iron per day, for 3 months. my ferritin level is 6.'

'at one point, when i was determined to donated platelets in 2002, i ate a sandwich of roast beef with spinach leaves on high-iron bread EVERY sINGLE DAY FOR A MONTH... and snacked on raisins, drank orange juice, the whole bit... and my iron was STILL too low! the lady was shocked.'

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: extremely low iron levels and poor binding
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 17, 2009 07:27PM

markfi,

Does your friend have this?:[www3.interscience.wiley.com]

It seems to be consistent with her symptoms and is the most persistent, though rare, type of iron-deficiency anemia. What are her doctors doing for her? Malabsorption this severe requires clinical intervention--diet isn't going to do it.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: April 21, 2009 05:15AM

Yes I just read about it a few days ago, actually. Iron, zinc, and copper apparently all work together synergistically. So a low iron level could actually be caused by either too much or too little of either zinc or copper, it's all so complicated. I'll find the link tomorrow when I get on my laptop.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 22, 2009 12:38AM

I too suffered from anemia since a young girl, which became so severe that I needed blood transfusions (besides being in a constant state of exhaustion). There is a prescribed iron supplement called Repliva 21/7 which boosted my iron level. Although you are supposed to take one pill a day for 3 weeks and take a week off, then begin the cycle again, I required two pills per day with no week off. Drinking green smoothies and eating iron rich raw foods in addition to the pills was the only thing that brought my hemoglobin levels up. Raw foods and green smoothies alone were not enough. There some of us who have unique diagnoses that cannot be cured by raw food alone, but when combined with the right iron supplement, it can work wonders. I send your friend my best wishes for improved health.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables