Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Type O Blood type, Raw Problems?
Posted by: ShineON ()
Date: July 23, 2006 05:27AM

I was talking with someone today that said they heard that people with Type O blood type, have problems with a raw/vegan diet... Any thoughts?

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Type O Blood type, Raw Problems?
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: July 23, 2006 07:16AM

I am O positive and I was initially 100% raw vegan. I was detoxing too quickly so I had to re-incorporate some cooked. Also, my hair became very brittle so I incorporated some raw egg yolks and milk products. I craved sweet so I also eat raw, unfiltered honey. Those are personal choices. I have a friend that is also O and he has been raw vegan for years and has had no problems.

I've found that as my body continues to detox, I can eliminate more cooked foods. I'm not sure if I will give up the raw organic egg yolks because of the B12 and hair/nail issue. I would give it up if I didn't have those issues, however. Maybe in the future, I will be able to without a problem. I'm finding the my diet continues to change and evolve the longer I eat raw foods.

So, I suggest that you begin and monitor your body's reactions and continue to adjust until you find something comfortable that works until you're ready to change, again, etc.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 23, 2006 08:55AM

I'm O+ and doing alright

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: July 23, 2006 06:05PM

Blood 0 type, and rockin'fine! =)

Posted by: teloking57 ()
Date: July 23, 2006 06:45PM

I'm an O, but I can't remember if it's + or -.

I do the best when I eat mostly greens. The only problem I have is when I have any citrus or if I have too much of other types of fruit.

Although I've not been into making a whole lot of the raw recipes, those I have made have made me sleepy. ( dehydrated veggie burgers, flax crackers, better than beef.)

Wheatgrass, it does a body good!!!

Posted by: swingbolder ()
Date: July 24, 2006 01:28PM

I am type O, I have no problems following this way of eating.

Posted by: Little Bug ()
Date: July 24, 2006 06:17PM

I'm O negative and do great on the raw foods. I haven't eaten meat in 16 years. I think the blood type diet is a way to make money selling books.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: July 24, 2006 10:30PM

O negative and no issues.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: July 25, 2006 01:54AM

I'm O+ and do well on raw food. I've been vegetarian since 1968 and sometimes am lacto-ovo. I get sick after a while if I eat dairy & eggs. When I'm raw, I never get sick.

I think the blood type diet craze is just science du jour.

Date: July 26, 2006 05:25AM

i'm O- and
after 3.5 years of being raw vegan
my flesh was TOOOOOTALLY gone!

i'm 56, so had been for many years cooked before turning raw
also,
had many mercury fillings (they're out, that wasn't done properly though!), few surgeries, few body parts missing (tonsils, apendix, tied tubes)
did take many prescription 'medications' as a teanager, & all the above, i'm sure affected/wrecked my digestive system, which is slaggish, &&&&&&
i obviously wasn't getting enough nutrients from my food intake,
even though i've tried my darnest to play it right
sooooo
am trying to figure out what 'additions' to the raw diet my system needs
in order for me to thrive
tried already raw oysters,....reading Life of Pie gave me cravings for those, even though i've NEVER had them before in my life!....so i had them 5 times, once a week, & the craving/liking passed....don't want them anymore...
also tried raw egg yolks.....occassionally...only if they're hidden in a fruit smoothie, or such i can have them
also...tried raw goat's milk....though seeing the goats, with BIG udders, & realizing then that they're milked forever, which is NOT natural, ....i gave it up....
now, on advice of my friend, nature-path, i'm having miso soup daily...
yessssssss,
it's not easy....trying to figure out what works for our system
i wish i could thrive on raw vegan only....but the results showed otherwise....
oh well...the life in a human body....
what an adventure...
as long as we don't forget to laugh along...
LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 26, 2006 06:30AM

Basia,

I have a wrecked digestive system too; but with me, I can't hardly digest anything but raw.

Just wondering if you've tried raw wheat germ (I'm always saying this!). You can put it on your salads (about 1/4 cup or so) or sprinkle it on a raw nori wrap with lettuce, avo, etc. It tastes very good. It's an old time body-builer's food.

If you do get some, make sure you get it prepackaged, and not bulk from the bin.

Also, you could try doing what the guys have always done to build up their bodies: lift weights. That could help.

Good luck and Best wishes, Ally

Date: July 26, 2006 08:50PM

Hey Shine-on,

I was just rereading your post, "cooked food relapse", and I noticed that the day you said you relapsed, you didn't mention eating any nuts or seeds. Just in case you don't ever eat nuts or seeds, maybe you should try doing that and see if it will help.

Best wishes, Ally

Date: July 26, 2006 11:07PM

Thanks Ally..

I have found nuts and seeds to be a saving grace when the cravings kick in.. I'm feeling pretty good lately.. I find sprouts and live food, really give me a boost that motivates me to continue on this way of life. I saw you post about raw wheat germ. Are there any negatives to it? It is still wheat right? I could see it being nice, to give you that full feeling..

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: July 27, 2006 01:43AM

O+, raw over 3 years, doin great (:

hey, Jeff - why only nuts/seeds when 'the cravings kick in'? Try incorporating sprouted seeds on a daily basis, you may find they help tremendously. Ground up flax seeds, sprouted sunflower/hemp/sesame seeds, all really easy to do. And of course the green smoothies. Gotta do the green smoothies (:

Date: July 27, 2006 03:41AM

how long do you soak the sunflower/hemp/sesame seeds before you rinse and drain? I'd like to incorporate that into my diet.. How do you eat them usually, with what?

Date: July 27, 2006 05:43AM

Ally - thank U for the tip re. wheat germ,i appreciate it... i'll give it a try...(we all need help, one way or the other, so this might be IT...ha ha)
i've been staying away from wheat ger hearing enough people criticizing wheat alltogether....
but
since it is raw..
i'll give it a chance...
sounds better than oysters...or raw egg yolks - by now
&
i'll let U know if i'll notice any reaction (positive or not, in my body)
LOVE & BLESSINGS,
Basia

Date: July 27, 2006 05:57AM

Hi ShineOn,

Regarding the raw wheat germ: Yes it's still wheat, and I believe it does have gluton. So if you're gluton sensitive, it might not be right for you.

I don't have that kind of sensitivity. My sensitivities mostly have to do with cooked food. The wheat germ doesn't bother me in any way that I'm aware of. But for me it definitely takes the place of my favorite cooked grains, like pasta and rice. I only eat a little bit of the raw wheat germ - about 1/4 cup 2 or 3 times a week - and the cooked grain memories seem to have disappeared.

Someone mentioned before that it is not a whole food. That's true. Whole foods are probably best. You could do sprouted wheat or whatever instead. I find the raw wheat germ a little more convenient, and I really like the flavor in a salad. Yesterday I tried it in a raw nori wrap, with red leaf lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, tomatoes, avocado, a bit of grated raw ginger, and lemon juice. It was real good (wish I'd had a green onion though).

Remember to buy it PREPACKAGED only, never in bulk from the bin, cause it goes rancid in the bin.

Best wishes, -Ally

Hi Basia, just saw your post. Love and Blessings to you too!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2006 06:01AM by Ally.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 27, 2006 10:48AM

How is the wheat germ extracted, from sprouting wheat or dried wheat? If not from sprouting wheat, will not it contain enzyme inhibitors?

Date: July 28, 2006 06:05AM

Djactchi,

It definitely comes from the unsprouted wheat seeds. I just now found an article on this very web site called "Enzymes and Longevity". It is an interview with Dr. Edward Howell, the enzyme pioneer, and he states that raw wheat germ does contain the inhibitors and is "one of the worst offenders" for inhibiting enzyme activity, and he goes on to say that all nuts and seeds should be sprouted before eating, in order to destroy the enzyme inhibitors.

Sorry Basia, et al. I don't know if you'll still want to eat it. I probably still will, cause it helps so much in keeping me raw.

It appears that the raw wheat germ does contain enzymes. Another article, "Raw Food Enzymes", (an excerpt from "North American Diet), states, "In 1933, the first enzyme diastase was discovered. Found in the wheat germ, it acts on decomposing the natural starches in the surrounding kernel."

Other foods with questionable live enzyme retention and/or containing germination inhibitors, might include nut butters (definitely produced from the UNsprouted nut) and frozen fruits. I personally prefer not to eat those foods, because they cross my line. For some people, the raw wheat germ may cross theirs; so it's just up to the individual.

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: July 28, 2006 05:27PM

O+ and feeling awesome, better than I've ever felt!

I know the thinking though - that type O's are "hunter-gatherer diet" types - I used to follow the same advice - meat & raw vegetables - and all it got me was an accelerated rate of aging and thigh cellulite from all the meat toxins.

I do best on greens and vegetables, easy on the fruit.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: July 28, 2006 09:53PM

Shine on

I just soak the seeds overnight, then rinse and drain them in the morning, then sprout for a few days or even just eat them straight away. You can find plenty of recipes for them in raw books, make yoghurt and cheese etc - although that's all a bit technical for me lol... I just use them in salads, sprinkle them over, or blend them up maybe adding a little herbs/spices for extra flavour.

you could also make bread from them if you had a dehydrator.

(:

Date: July 30, 2006 09:57PM

How long do sprouted nuts and seeds last? I have just sprouted mung beans, sunflower seeds, and lentils..

Thanks Lisa!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables