Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

a question about naturopaths and homeopaths?
Posted by: satori108 ()
Date: April 20, 2009 03:56PM

Is anyone here a naturopath or homeopath? Or use their services?

I've never been to either. And really, only recently have I learned that these can be a career.

I'm thinking about studying holistic medicine.

I'm imagining they work like a "standard" doctor, but maybe no lab tests, injections, and bloodwork. And prescribing herbal medicine rather than pharmacetical chemicals. Do they have to perform colonics?

If anyone can enlighten me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a question about naturopaths and homeopaths?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 20, 2009 04:11PM

I have many friends who are students at [www.ncnm.edu] , they love it. They say it was the best career choice they have made. I would love to attend the school. They don't have to perform colonics. Some of the teachers there are raw vegan.

One of the NCNM grads is Dr. Ariel, the Live Food Doctor in Tucson:
[doctorariel.blogspot.com]

A teacher at NCNM is Dr. Bailey, who teaches juice fasting:
[www.nwnclinic.com]

Posted by: RawLibrarian ()
Date: April 20, 2009 05:01PM

I go to a naturopath who is a graduate of Bastyr University, one of the accredited schools of naturopathic medicine. In Washington DC, where I live, naturopaths are licensed and can be consulted just like a 'regular' MD. She doesn't prescribe pharmaceuticals (naturopaths don't do that); rather she makes suggestions about diet and supplements. For bloodwork, she sends me to a LabCorp office nearby and they send her the results. She's fine with my raw diet, which is not often the case with 'regular' doctors.

This is just my opinion, but if you do go to a naturopath, I would make sure that the person is a graduate of one of the accredited schools of naturopathy in N. America (I'm assuming you live in the US or Canada):

[www.aanmc.org]

The reason is that you can be assured that the doctor went thru a rigorous program, including lab work, patient rounds, etc. These schools are 4 year post-graduate programs, like 'regular' medical schools. They are also accredited by the U.S. Dept. of Education, which means that students who qualify for financial aid can get it. This is not true of diploma mills--there are 'schools' out there that will give you a naturopathic 'degree' via the Internet, and aside from not getting the kind of education that the accredited schools provide, students of these schools can't get financial aid either.

I don't know much about homeopathy, but I did find a list of schools of homeopathy:

[nationalcenterforhomeopathy.org]

Hope this helps.

Date: April 21, 2009 01:13PM

Thanks guys! I actually learned that homeopaths work on dilutions of herbs and also use stuff like crystals and energy healing. I think that naturopathy is the way I'd like to go. Only I read that some of them do minor surgery, such as removing stuff from your skin. Needles and blood kind of freak me out, so if I learn that I have to do that than it's not right for me.

I thought about Oriental medicine (ugh, being asian I hate that name!) but not if I also have to do accupuncture. I'm thinking about maybe just studying botanical medicine to be an herbalist, but I don't know how steady a career choice that would be.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 21, 2009 03:47PM

It seems like there are so many wonderful options and choices for you.

Good luck. smiling smiley

Date: April 21, 2009 05:25PM

Thank you!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 21, 2009 06:00PM

satori,

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been seriously pondering doing this myself since my mother's cancer journey proved to me how very unhelpful allopathic medical protocols are. It is so important that those that are interested in healing get good, standardized, non-allopathic educations, because people with health problems really need to have a medical choice that's better than this insanity of "managed care." I'd probably look into Bastyr University in WA; great reputation, or Baylor in Waco, TX; communicates with TX medical schools. You'd be assured of getting good clinical training at both of these schools. Good luck with your decision!

P.S. try not to be upset by the use of the word "Oriental," as it's meant geographically--the opposite of Occidental smiling smiley

Date: April 21, 2009 06:23PM

Ohh... that explains it. I was thinking "why are they still using an outdated, politically offensive term?"

Tamukha, do you know if naturopaths are required to do the minor surgeries or any injections?

I didn't know that Baylor had a program. I saw that there is a program at Columbia, which is closer to me, but they only accept M.D.'s into the program. Plus, being an Ivy league, it would probably be super expensive. I also saw that there's a botanical medicine program up in the catskills. Good luck to you as well.

And thank you everyone, for your input.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables