Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

are my raw nuts really raw?
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: April 21, 2009 04:36PM

how can i know if the nuts i'm buying that are labeled raw, really not processed with heat, and therefore not raw? i'm really enjoying almonds and walnuts right now, and buying them from a dependable local produce market. they look fresh. and i'm in california where i think they grow alot of that stuff. reading the thread about cashews, which i also love, has me questioning this. any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: are my raw nuts really raw?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 21, 2009 05:48PM

I would suggest not buying major brands. Also, do a Google search, or one on this forum, for raw nut suppliers' names. Many of them are in CA, and possibly near enough to you for you to buy from them direct. Good luck!

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 21, 2009 07:09PM

California is one of the few places in the country where you can readily buy raw almonds. As I understand it, they will be pasteurized by law, even if labeled "raw", unless you buy them from the actual farmer. Farmers markets can be a great resource.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 21, 2009 09:53PM

You can find out by asking, but some people don't believe answers even when a direct question is asked.

I think soaked raw nuts either sink or float, can't remember which - hopefully someone can come on here and answer. Mine usually float and are labeled "really raw." and from raw-friendly companies.

Posted by: RawRaw ()
Date: April 21, 2009 11:01PM

i always ask a bunch of questions. otherwise they'll just say yes even though its not. the almond source i buy almonds from gets its from the farms. i think all cashews are imported. walnuts, seeds seem to be easy to find raw and others too. either buy direct from the source or a raw company that actually knows what raw is.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: April 22, 2009 03:44AM

Instead of asking if they're raw, ask them to give you the detailed process. That's how you find out the truth.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: April 22, 2009 04:24AM

gilmoregirl, great idea. thanks.
and thanks to everyone else for your ideas. i think i'll check out other suppliers.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: April 22, 2009 04:56AM

Utopian Life, I'd always understood that if a nut floated, it was bad :-)

eg I buy raw almonds here (as not pasteurised in UK). Typically, when soaking, most sink and a few float.

(there again, I've tasted those that have floated, and they've tasted fine generally!)

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 22, 2009 10:30AM

Hmm.....well, I wonder if there's a time they float and then after that they sink because they floated at first. This was from a raw-food-specific store. I will have to note what they do after more time soaking!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 22, 2009 03:10PM

hmmm well when im cleaning and sorting my asparagus seeds ...the viable seeds sink and the dead ones float

but ive also heard some seeds and nuts never sink because they are just really lite to begin with so im not sure the float test is really that accurate

not to mention ive forgotton a soaking jar of asparagus seeds and *some* of the floaters started sprouting LOL

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables