Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

coconut oil as conditioner
Posted by: kiki_day ()
Date: April 21, 2009 11:59PM

I put coconut oil on my hair for about 70 minutes before hopping in the shower the other night. My hair is halfway down my back and it was pretty easy to run my fingers through it, even with it being wet afterwards--not really any tangles or anything. By the time I went to bed it was about 70% dry and when I woke up in the morning, I swear that my hair color was richer!! I have dark brown hair but after using the coconut oil the brunette tones where much more vibrant and expressive, if that makes any sense. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience of if it is just a bit of placebo effect I'm feeling? Either way, I feel the coconut oil worked excellently and I will be using it from now on out. Can anyone suggest an all natural shampoo and/or body soap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coconut oil as conditioner
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 22, 2009 12:15AM

Strangest Thing!! Just today I gave myself a full-body
massage (hair too) with Coconut Oil.
I like Coconut Oil Supreme from CoconutOil-Online.com
....WY

Date: April 22, 2009 12:39AM

I also tried a coconut oil bath the other day (a few spoonfuls melted in warm water) and my skin was awesomely smooth afterwards. I liked the sensation much more than when I usually put the coconut oil directly on my skin after the shower. I could tell my skin was just supple and soft, instead of feeling and looking slick. Just my experience anyway smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 22, 2009 12:56AM

kiki_day,

This is awesome! I just bought a new jar of extra virgin coconut oil and I've since decided I don't need to eat it, but to use it strictly for beauty care. I have been wary of putting it into my hair, which is likewise very long, but fine and tangles easily--I feared that it would just weigh my hair down. But now I'm going to try what you did and expect interesting results. Thanks!

I am going to be making my own shampoo with Dr. Bronner's organic rose oil scented liquid soap. I think I'll do 5 parts Dr. Bronner's to 10-15 parts water, as it's fairly astringent and I don't want to dry my hair out, especially if I'm going to enrich it with coconut oil! Avalon Organics makes some mostly non-toxic shampoos, and Aubrey's makes totally non-toxic ones. Check them out at your local health food store, or look into making your own. Good luck!

Date: April 22, 2009 02:09AM

that is awesome! Good luck with your coconut beauty adventures! My hair is on the thicker side so I put a good amount in. I also shampoo-ed my hair twice while in the shower because of how much I used. It wasn't an exact science, I just sort of globbed in on there to see what would happen smiling smiley Thanks for the shampoo advice also--I just got a rose water toner last week that I have been using instead of my normal facewash (some nuetrogena kind)and have experienced only good things with it to my pleasant surprise. I love learning about new "foodie beauty"!!!

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: April 22, 2009 04:36AM

coconut oil is absolutely great for your skin and hair. i spent about 3 months in india several years back, and i swear those people practically bathe in the stuff and everyone has gorgeous hair. i use it, too whenever i remember to.

a word of caution, though- if you put it on at night and sleep in it, then double up on 2 pillowcases that you don't care about. it doesn't come out, and goes rancid after a while. i save 2 for this purpose, and pull them out for when i'm doing a night treatment. if you only use one pillowcase, it might go through and ruin your pillow.

in india, they don't rinse it out of their hair, especially in hot weather. they wash their hair and then apply the oil, and then leave it in. you know how nice and cool your head feels when your hair is wet? well you get the same effect when your hair is wet from the coconut oil. when i was in india, it was so freaking hot, i just did what they did and left it in my hair also. it really kept me much cooler.

one more thing- it is not good at all for the skin on your face. good everywhere else but there. i loved it so much, i was practically bathing in it myself, and after a few weeks, my face got so rough and yukky looking.

it is fantastic for your hair, though. i'll have to get my jar out and locate those old pillowcases.....

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 22, 2009 12:13PM

I have been using coconut in my hair for a while now. I use it for frizz control after as well as conditioner.

After following Roxelli's "no poo experiment" thread on the other health topics forum, I stopped washing my hair with shampoo. I use a little lemon every few weeks but that is it. I wash the heck out of it with water and my fingers and I constantly pull the oils through with my brush and fingers throughout the day. My hair has never been in better shape. It was always dry and frizzy without lots of products to tame it down.

I use coconut oil all over including my face and it makes my skin very soft.

I love it!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 22, 2009 02:19PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like Coconut Oil Supreme
I just ordered a bottle of Avocado Oil Supreme. It
promises to be even better than Coconut Oil, as it doesn't have
the problem of Solidifying....WY

[www.coconutoil-online.com]

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: April 22, 2009 03:38PM

I love coconut oil!
I use it lavishly after being in the sun. And it is the best for my hair, too.

Posted by: satori108 ()
Date: April 22, 2009 03:46PM

I put it in my hair and use it as deodorant too. smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 22, 2009 03:53PM

kiki i think what happens is the oil smooths down the follicles of your hair making more surface area for the light to pickup and shine on the highlights , so no its not a placebo effect smiling smiley

i use coconut oil or almond oil in my hair as well to tame frizz as mentioned above and it works so much better than all the years of weird chemical crap i tried smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2009 03:56PM by Jgunn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables