Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Problems with Raw Food
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 23, 2006 08:43PM

I love eating raw foods. Nothing makes me happier than eating fresh salads, nuts, and fruits. I was eating mostly raw for a while, just adding some oats, hemp bread, and the occasional roasted but or two, and I ended up getting really bloated and gaining weight!! And when I say bloated... I mean I looked about 6 months pregnate! So I went to the doctor and it turns out I had a lot of air in my intestines that simply wasn't coming out. So I switched my diet around. Started adding eggs and fish, and I must say it's helped... however... I want to keep eating raw! What should I do? I don't want to experience the bloat and weight gain anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems with Raw Food
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 23, 2006 09:08PM

Opinion:

-All you can do is what you can do - decide on what the healthiest food is for YOU...and try to incorporate more of that. If you think eating eggs and fish is good for you in the long run...then you should eat more of them!

-On the practical side: You may find that fruit does not bloat you as much as fibrous vegetables.

-Try different varieties of fruits and vegetables, eat slower & simpler, and don't drink any water with your meals (but plenty 30 minutes before...and 1 hour after).

-David Mason

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: July 23, 2006 10:54PM

You might just need to do some food combining. Don't eat melons with anything else and don't eat fats with fruit. That might be enough to solve your problem. :-)

Take care,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: July 24, 2006 01:20PM

also make sure you soak your nuts for easier digestion... this could exacurbate the problem but I like to eat flax cereal sometimes.. it pretty much drags everything out of my colon!

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: July 24, 2006 04:41PM

What is flax cereal? It sounds like flax with nut milk, rasins and agave nectar.

Date: July 24, 2006 04:58PM

I agree with most of this, except the fruit and fats. These can be combined, depending on the person (as long as the fruit is not melon). It is also important to know that a lot of the foods we consider veggies, are actually fruits (ie tomoatos, cucumbers, bell peppers, squash). General rule of thumb is if it's got seeds, it's a fruit!

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 24, 2006 06:57PM

Hi Imaginary Colours,

In addition to all the great advice above, it may be possible that if your diet was very high raw, then the oats, hemp bread, and the occasional roasted nuts could have been the culprits that caused the bloating. Your body may have been throwing off lots of toxins stirred up by the high raw diet at the same time that it was trying to digest the cooked starch. That could be a bomb in the making.

If you try to go raw again, but can't quite do 100%, my advice would be to stay away from the cooked starches and the roasted nuts. Instead, try lightly steaming some veggies, even some of the starchier ones, like yams, sweet potatoes (NOT regular potatoes), and peas.

And you can always add raw wheat germ (always PREPACKAGED, not from the bin) to your salads as a raw option that I personally think is superior to cooked oats or cooked breads.

As far as the nuts and seeds, I'm like butterfly imagines. I eat UNsoaked nuts and seeds almost everyday, and I always eat them with fruit and have no problem, as long as I don't eat veggies too. I eat sprouted seeds with veggies.

Best wishes, Ally

Date: July 27, 2006 05:25PM

I do soak my nuts and seeds. However, they are only a small portiion of my diet and I really belive that it's too much nuts, seeds, and grain that caused your problem. You really want to focus on wet foods such as fruits and veggies. Green leafy veggies should be the predominant food (I'm having trouble with that, though. I love my fruit!).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables