Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

pool water (chlorine)
Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: April 28, 2009 02:08AM

Any idea on how to combat the ill effects of public swimming pool water that is filled with cholrine, bad for the skin and gets absorbed no doubt.?

nything other than don't go swimming anymore.
I did a search but couldn't find anything.

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pool water (chlorine)
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 28, 2009 02:34AM

ive been fruustrated about this too mrdc smiling smiley i swim 3-4 days a week and it really bothers me about the chlorine ..

the only thing ive thought about trying is wiping a thin coat of coconut oil or some other vegan thick oil all over my skin so as much surface as my skin repels it as possible

i havent tried this yet so im not sure how good it will work tongue sticking out smiley i was kinda thinking about ducks one day an how they are oilyskinned and that keeps them insulated from the water

i'll let you know if it works or if i get kicked out of the public pool for creating a oil slick tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 02:35AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 28, 2009 12:46PM

Some pools are switching to various pH treatments:

[swimming.about.com]
[swimsuits.lovetoknow.com]
[www.inyopools.com]

Try asking where you swim whether they are considering these new methods. Sometimes planting the idea sets the ball rolling.

Date: April 28, 2009 03:07PM

ive tried that Tam a few times over the years , our pools are municipal owned and therefore get the ol "its not in the governement budget" speel smiling smiley

a friend of mine suggested i wear a wet suit .. so i could look like a goober an be healthy or look like everyone else and be exposed to chemicals

i think i might go the wetsuit route if the oil idea doesnt work out smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 03:10PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 28, 2009 10:26PM

Jgunn,

A wetsuit to the municipal pool would look ace--"I know something you don't know, la-dee-daaa . . . " sploosh-sploosh! Better that than feeling like you're the victim of some sort of nervine attack when you're out getting your exercise : )

Date: April 29, 2009 02:55PM

hehe Tam i know yer right smiling smiley honestly i cant wait till it warms up soon so we can get back to swimming in our river inlet smiling smiley

Date: April 30, 2009 04:14AM

i also wonder what the inhaling of the chlorine in the air doing?
can't be beneficial?

Date: April 30, 2009 06:19AM

absolutely not beneficial smiling smiley but i draw the line at wearing scuba gear to the pool tongue sticking out smiley if im gonna do that im gonna go swim in the river tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 30, 2009 12:12PM

Right. People are often concerned about the health of absorbing chlorine. In my mind, it's just one of those environmental toxins that you avoid....if you can...and swim rather in the ocean. If you are a passionate swimmer...and only have a pool to go to....I say go for it.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2009 12:19PM

um...dont think a wetsuit would help anyway, unless you have a "drysuit"...wetsuits generally arent waterproof, instead they let a thin layer of water in that acts as insulation... so i dont think this would solve your problem unfortunately...

Date: April 30, 2009 03:47PM

yes sorry i meant drysuit smiling smiley

and yep david its one of those things its , don't do it or suck it up buttercup smiling smiley

i cant wait till it warms up some there is a really nice slow river here that gets a nice temperature for about 4 months close enough to go to everyday

the ocean is too far to get too everyday but looking forward to some weekend trips there at least smiling smiley last year the last time i went to Jericho beach and jumped in the water and there was a jelly fish bloom going on , i ran screaming like a freakoid from the water even tho i was told later they were harmless it was still an insane freaky experience lol tongue sticking out smiley

Date: April 30, 2009 07:29PM

jodi et al

i found
"summer solutions"
here is the bio from the net

"
Soap+ is an all-natural French-milled soap that contains a chlorine neutralizer. It produces a rich, creamy lather that does not dry out your skin. Use after each time you swim to keep skin hydrated and chlorine-free."

dave

Date: May 06, 2009 01:40AM

i also found aubrey organics at my local grocery.
it has a shampoo specifically for pool chlorine.

Does anyone think a salt water pool may be better?

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: May 06, 2009 03:28PM

Am I wrong or isn't so that you get the same amount of chlorine absorbed if you drank 2 liters of tapwater and taking a shower for 30 minutes?

Date: May 06, 2009 05:00PM

that could be true healthybun smiling smiley i drink spring water personally and have a chlorine filter on the house water for shower/bathing etc. it really bugs me about the swimming thing but like david mason said .. sometimes ya gotta pick your battles smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 06, 2009 06:59PM

What can we do about that? Is a Raw Diet enough?

www.rawenergyonline.com

Date: May 06, 2009 08:23PM

well theres a few things one can do rawenergy smiling smiley

#1 - avoid the pool completely
#2 - wear a drysuit as mentioned above and minimize contact with the chlorine
#3 - shampoo and soap off as much as possible but as mentioned above the aborption has probably already happened so topical remedies are probably no good at that point
#4 - oil myself up and hope absorption is kept to a minimum
#5 - find a salt water pool that doesnt use chlorine
#6 - build our own pools that use salt water and not chlorine
#7 - say to hell with it and enjoy the pool and hope nothing bad comes of it smiling smiley

is a raw diet good enough to combat the ill effects? im sure there has been no study so who really knows .. one could hope though im sure smiling smiley

Posted by: frances ()
Date: May 06, 2009 08:58PM

Healthybun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Am I wrong or isn't so that you get the same
> amount of chlorine absorbed if you drank 2 liters
> of tapwater and taking a shower for 30 minutes?

Maybe, but the amount of chlorine in municipal water varies wildly from none at all to tap-smells-like-a-swimming-pool. Similarly, the chlorine in pools varies a lot, though it tends to be higher in public pools.

Date: May 06, 2009 09:58PM

what about salt water pools?
are they better?

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 07, 2009 12:21AM

> what about salt water pools?
> are they better?

Hi mrdc,
Salt water pools are probably better, but they still use chlorine made electronically by converting sodium chloride to chlorine. It's a more precise way to add chlorine than depending on tablets and shock treatments and the skill of the maintenance crew. At least that's what I gather from this article [archives.chicagotribune.com] Maybe there are different types...

I used to swim laps in the community pool and would shower before and after -- would like to get back into it.

best of luck

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: May 07, 2009 04:12PM

It's really hard to swim properly in drysuits anyways. They aren't as bad once your submerged in the water, but on the surface, not so much.

Yeah, chlorinated pools are a joke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables