Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
benefits of turmeric
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 14, 2014 10:06PM

raw turmeric is anti inflamatory
cooked turmeric protects DNA

4:15 min video

[nutritionfacts.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: benefits of turmeric
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 14, 2014 10:27PM

It should be used with caution by people with gallstones, stomach ulcers, or bile duct obstruction as turmeric may exacerbate these conditions.

Turmeric can be a uterine stimulant, so pregnant women should consult with a doctor before taking turmeric during pregnancy.

People with serious liver or heart conditions should also consult with a doctor before taking turmeric supplements.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 14, 2014 10:44PM

fresh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It should be used with caution by people with
> gallstones, stomach ulcers, or bile duct
> obstruction as turmeric may exacerbate these
> conditions.

Did you make that up or something or did you plagiarize it and post it here without giving credit to the source?

This posted "use with caution" warning would have described me when I started taking a LOT of turmeric - as in the equivalent of a powdered T a day. It did nothing but help me get well quickly so I know for a fact that what you've posted is uninformed.

Date: January 14, 2014 10:54PM

plagiarized. neglected to put the link in. thanks.

not saying it's true, just something to consider and research.

i would love to know how you would know, with all the variables of your bodily processes and foods eaten, etc, that it helped you. but don't derail this thread any further.

Date: January 14, 2014 11:08PM

fresh Wrote:
> It should be used with caution by people with
> gallstones, stomach ulcers, or bile duct
> obstruction as turmeric may exacerbate these
> conditions.
>
> Turmeric can be a uterine stimulant, so pregnant
> women should consult with a doctor before taking
> turmeric during pregnancy.
>
> People with serious liver or heart conditions
> should also consult with a doctor before taking
> turmeric supplements.

Link?

Date: January 14, 2014 11:13PM

Date: January 15, 2014 02:19AM

fresh Wrote:
> [www.healthdiaries.com]
> -effects.html

Lol. that's what I was expecting. There are hundreds of almost identically written warnings cut and pasted all over the net. All without sources listed. I guess no one wants to claim it.

Before I went raw the only thing that helped stop gall bladder attacks for me was a product who's main ingredient was turmeric. I don't have to take it anymore because I take a T of turmeric a day without the other ingredients which are in the wonderfully named "Stone Free".

And remember I am on the high fat Conductivity Diet. Fat is 60% of my intake - and I'm still pushing slowly upward on that. One day last week I was up to 73.9% fat and the next day my blood sugar was a stellar 78 - which also knocks the internet myth that fat is bad for diabetes off the reality map. Well, anyway, I consider myself living proof that the cut and paste turmeric warning is just another bogus internet rumor.

Here's Stone Free. Check out the reviews. I am not alone.
[www.amazon.com]

Date: January 15, 2014 02:29AM

what foods does your current diet consist of, say that day last week?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 15, 2014 02:37AM

i like turmeric
use it on my salads

and sometimes on avocado with lemon juice and kelp

Date: January 15, 2014 03:20AM

fresh Wrote:
> what foods does your current diet consist of, say
> that day last week?

My food intake, without the herbs and spices ,etc., was from walnut oil, avocados, flax seed, macadamia nuts, brazil nuts, coconut oil, a bunch of dandelion greens, a bunch of kale, a head of romaine lettuce, celery, broccoli, seaweed, sprouts, chia seed oil, red onion, lemons, grapefruit.

I used the macadamia nuts and the brazil nuts to make a milk with vanilla, a bit of xylitol, and stevia.

Every day is different though. I have a wide range of stone ground oils and veggies. I try to keep my carbs under 100 g.

Gallbladder's doing great.

You've got to be really clean already to do something like this, obviously. I'm not recommending it to anyone else just because I really like it. We'll see what's what after I get my lab tests in probably March when I've been on it a year. Then I can compare it with my disastrous lab work I had done last year after my 11 months of hclf diet. Should be interesting.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 15, 2014 03:32AM

SueZ Wrote:
> fresh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > what foods does your current diet consist of,
> say
> > that day last week?
>
> My food intake, without the herbs and spices
> ,etc., was from walnut oil, avocados, flax seed,
> macadamia nuts, brazil nuts, coconut oil, a bunch
> of dandelion greens, a bunch of kale, a head of
> romaine lettuce, celery, broccoli, seaweed,
> sprouts, chia seed oil, red onion, lemons,
> grapefruit.
>
> I used the macadamia nuts and the brazil nuts to
> make a milk with vanilla, a bit of xylitol, and
> stevia.
>
> Every day is different though. I have a wide range
> of stone ground oils and veggies. I try to keep my
> carbs under 100 g.
>
> Gallbladder's doing great.
>
> You've got to be really clean already to do
> something like this, obviously. I'm not
> recommending it to anyone else just because I
> really like it. We'll see what's what after I get
> my lab tests in probably March when I've been on
> it a year. Then I can compare it with my
> disastrous lab work I had done last year after my
> 11 months of hclf diet. Should be interesting.

[www.fitonraw.com]

Date: January 15, 2014 04:04AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> -----
> > fresh Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > what foods does your current diet consist of,
> > say
> > > that day last week?
> >
> > My food intake, without the herbs and spices
> > ,etc., was from walnut oil, avocados, flax
> seed,
> > macadamia nuts, brazil nuts, coconut oil, a
> bunch
> > of dandelion greens, a bunch of kale, a head of
> > romaine lettuce, celery, broccoli, seaweed,
> > sprouts, chia seed oil, red onion, lemons,
> > grapefruit.
> >
> > I used the macadamia nuts and the brazil nuts
> to
> > make a milk with vanilla, a bit of xylitol, and
> > stevia.
> >
> > Every day is different though. I have a wide
> range
> > of stone ground oils and veggies. I try to keep
> my
> > carbs under 100 g.
> >
> > Gallbladder's doing great.
> >
> > You've got to be really clean already to do
> > something like this, obviously. I'm not
> > recommending it to anyone else just because I
> > really like it. We'll see what's what after I
> get
> > my lab tests in probably March when I've been
> on
> > it a year. Then I can compare it with my
> > disastrous lab work I had done last year after
> my
> > 11 months of hclf diet. Should be interesting.
>
>
> [www.fitonraw.com]-
> high-fat-raw-food-diet/

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 15, 2014 04:52AM

Does Tavis Bradley have any evidence to support his claims or does he just make youtube videos?

Date: January 15, 2014 05:07AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Does Tavis Bradley have any evidence to support
> his claims or does he just make youtube videos?

Mostly hearsay so far as I know but he's extremely busy and lives in Sedona so he must have some happy customers. I'm not too concerned about that anymore because his diet seems to be working for me so far. In fact I'm considering taking it a step further and moving into a Conductivity Raw Vegan Ketogenic Diet if I can pull it off. I'll wait to see how my lab work is before I do that, though. I'm seeing some awfully inspiring stuff on the subject although all of it is from carnivores. I am really hoping I can pull it off. I love eating this way.

Check out this woman who says she has been in a ketogenic diet for 4 years. absolutely amazing that she's 47, too.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 15, 2014 02:14PM

The problem with high-fat diets is the long-term effects of them, so following them for a short period of time and feeling good may just be giving you a false sense of security. And I'm sure you do love eating that way because the amount of fat you're consuming is probably similar to the amounts of fat you were eating on a Standard American Diet, and people generally don't like to veer from what they are used to. I mean sure, if he takes people who eat fast food, processed food, gmo's, etc... and puts them on his high-fat diet, then obviously people are going to get healthier. But that's mostly because of what they are leaving out of their diet and that they've also likely started to add more raw plant-based foods. Maybe a high-fat diet could work in the short-term but a lot of prominent doctors advised against it as a permanent diet.

Date: January 15, 2014 02:36PM

She looks good but did you notice what she said?
She said at this time she was apparently so fatigued she couldn't even exit a BURNING BUILDING!
no thanks.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 15, 2014 03:26PM

I love analyzing people who think they have solutions to any type of problem, especially in the area of Nutrition. Below are some of my notes on the woman on has been on the Ketogenic Diet for 4 years and only has 9% Body Fat along with my Comments followed by a really good article with Videos that explains how absurd this Way of Eating is and the very first comment I would like to make about this woman with 9% Body Fat is that women should NOT go below 12% Body Fat or else they will stop ovulating, which leads to Bone Loss.

Now here are my notes on the woman on has been on the Ketogenic Diet for 4 years…

[www.youtube.com]
KETOGENIC DIET: most asked questions & answers by Stephanie Person
5:20 Minute Video

JR’s Notes:

0:26 MM
A lot of people who believe in that you need Carbs to survive believe that you eat Carbohydrates, your body converts a percentage of it into your muscle as Energy, but your muscle and your liver don’t store that much Glycogen, which is converted Glucose.

So what happens to the rest of it?

Yikes! Well, what happens is it goes right here (grabbing her belly). Well, not on me, but it goes right here (grabbing her belly) and it goes right here (grabbing her hips) and it goes right here (grabbing her butt) and you learn how to become very efficient at storing Body Fat when you eat Carbohydrates. You have to think - did our ancestors eat from a cracker tree? I think not. What kind of Food was available back in our Hunter Gather days? 1:17 MM

JR’s Comment: The answer to - “did our ancestors eat from a cracker tree?” is No, we ate from Fruit Trees! And then, the mistake that people make who ask - “What kind of Food was available back in our Hunter Gather days?” is that this was not a time in our past where we were living where we were supposed to be living and since we are Opportunistic Eaters, we will Eat whatever it takes to survive. Using this rationale might mean that people in the far away future will look back on us and think we should be eating Twinkies and drinking Coca Cola. And then, this woman has no idea about how Excess Carbohydrates turn to Fat. The only way you can gain Fat eating Excess Carbohydrates is to also eat Excess Calories and NOT all Calories are Fat nor are they Carbohydrates. So you can NOT make a statement that Excess Carbohydrates make you Fat when it’s the Excess Calories that can make you Fat. We also have to keep in mind that we have 7 Major Components of Weight, so it’s a lot more complicated than most people understand. The point here is that anyone can lose weight if they eat less Calories, unless they are EXTREMELY Constipated.

My Carbs are Dark Leafy Greens…I’m lactose intolerant…

JR’s Comment: She made no mention of Meat in this Video, except her Hunter Gather reference and I have no desire to see what else she has to say because she has already proven to me that she doesn’t know what she’s talking about, especially about Gluconeogenesis below.

4:21 MM
And one thing that you body builders need to understand is because you become insulin sensitive - I eat a couple of things of Spinach and I’m already releasing the insulin to carry the amino acids into the muscle, so I am never in a Gluconeogenesis state or seldom - I should say never because that is your fight or flight response to raise your blood sugar levels in case there’s an emergency, but there hasn’t been one in this case.

JR’s Comment: This woman is totally clueless about Gluconeogenesis. Gluconeogenesis has nothing to do with the fight or flight response - it’s Glycogenolysis, which is not even close to a mispronunciation. And then, the main reason why High Protein/Low Carbohydrate Diets work for some people for Weight Loss is because up to 58% of all of the EXCESS Protein, which is harmful to the body by the way, can be used to keep our bodies from using our own Lean Body Mass for Carbohydrates during Gluconeogenesis.
[www.youtube.com]

Now here is a really good article with Videos that explains how absurd this Way of Eating is…

[plantpositive.squarespace.com]
TPNS 58-61: Ketosis Is Natural. Natural Is Good.
Monday, March 26, 2012 at 02:20PM
Plant Positive
[plantpositive.squarespace.com]

On a final note, it is impossible to evaluate anyone’s diet when they are so vague as to say, “I eat a couple of things of Spinach” or I ate this and I ate that or I ate a bunch of this or a bunch of that simply because this is too VAGUE!!! In order to understand how these Diets work or don’t work we have to look at the specifics to see if we are getting enough Carbohydrates to Prevent Gluconeogenesis and if we are NOT getting enough Carbohydrates to Prevent Gluconeogenesis, are we getting enough EXCESS Protein, which, once again, is harmful to the body, to Protect our Lean Body Mass.

Peace and Love..........John

Date: January 15, 2014 03:35PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> The problem with high-fat diets is the long-term
> effects of them, so following them for a short
> period of time and feeling good may just be giving
> you a false sense of security. And I'm sure you do
> love eating that way because the amount of fat
> you're consuming is probably similar to the
> amounts of fat you were eating on a Standard
> American Diet, and people generally don't like to
> veer from what they are used to. I mean sure, if
> he takes people who eat fast food, processed food,
> gmo's, etc... and puts them on his high-fat diet,
> then obviously people are going to get healthier.
> But that's mostly because of what they are leaving
> out of their diet and that they've also likely
> started to add more raw plant-based foods. Maybe a
> high-fat diet could work in the short-term but a
> lot of prominent doctors advised against it as a
> permanent diet.

Actually, until his "coming out" the only one's I think he had on the diet were himself and his very sick clients. I agree that his clients were probably not eating well since Tavis' specialty seems to have been about bringing stage 4 cancer patients back to health. The hearsay is that he has been 100% successful with that and he is very busy with rich and famose word of mouth clientele and charity work for the poor.

Personally I haven't been on a sad diet since 1989 and this is the first time I have ever been on a high fat diet. As someone who doctors have been trying to rip a gall bladder out of for 25 years a high fat diet was not what I chose ever. Gallbladder attacks are excruciatingly painful and fats would set them off.

I went on this diet against some druthers, ( I was worried my gallbladder with all that oil), mainly because there is an incredibly complex synergistic working of all the components he has assembled in his diet. I did a lot of leaving one or another thing out, as experiments, for instance. When this or that symptom would pop up I'd do further research which would lead to a remedy were I to add the very ingredient I had left out of the diet! To tell you the truth, this kind of freaked me out but gave me confidence that he really knew what he was doing and it's turned out to be a good bet.

If you watch his video on fats I think he does a passable job of showing how the studies on high fat foods done on people with virtually unknown former diets is not applicable at all for his raw living foods diet with high quality living oils.

I hope this has been enough to show you that your guess was wrong and that high fat diet was a mighty veer for me off my norm as it is for most of the people who are now on his diet.

Book learning is one thing and at first glance, on paper, it doesn't look good, especially for someone with my gallbladder. Being of a scientific mindset I couldn't resist the challenge of testing it out for myself, and as I've said and done before, I never hesitate to do a 180 in a heartbeat if I find the course I'm on was a mistake even if I am comfortable with what I'm doing.

I felt great on the hclf diet but when I found out what it was doing to me I walked away from it that day. That's how I am and that's how I do things. So, once again, the labwork will tell the tale for me and paper studies mean nothing in the light of my own personal experience.

Date: January 15, 2014 04:02PM

fresh Wrote:
> She looks good but did you notice what she said?
>
> She said at this time she was apparently so
> fatigued she couldn't even exit a BURNING
> BUILDING!
> no thanks.

Fresh, no she was explaining how her injuries made it so she couldn't do cardio and was using her problems with her knee to get out of a burning building to illustrate that her fabulous body was the result of her diet and exercise other than cardio. That's all. It wasn't about fatigue.

Now there is no way I would ever use meat or animal products myself but I am not so dogmatic that I can't learn something from people who eat like the anti-me do and make those leanings work for me. I'm not going to sit around nitpicking them like an old dried up schoolmarm. I like to move on and cherry pick along my way so I can get things done in this world. Some of the best and smartest nutrition info I've found is from no where near the raw food community - that's for sure. This doesn't trouble me because I intend to make raw living foods my lifestyle and will not be thrown off course by what people and studies say if experience show them to be full of bilge water for me. So far so good and it's so nice to never feel uncomfortably hungry.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 15, 2014 05:24PM

There have been so many good Articles on Turmeric and Curcumin lately that I’m not even updating my files anymore because there are too many of them!

Anyway, here is a list of some of the Articles from my files on Turmeric and Curcumin:

[psa-rising.com]
Turmeric
BY JACQUELINE STRAX

[www.mercola.com]
Curry Ingredient Helps Treat Alzheimer's
Posted By Dr. Mercola | Januar 15 2005

[www.savvypatients.com]
Curcumin Helpful In Multiple Sclerosis Model
by Michael T. Murray, N.D.

[www.doctormurray.com]
Curcumin Helpful In Multiple Sclerosis Model

[story.news.yahoo.com]
More Evidence Curry Ingredient May Fight Cancer
Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:32 AM ET

[www.lef.org]
Cancer Adjuvant Therapy

Curcumin

[articles.mercola.com]
'Holy Powder' Makes Your Cell Membranes Behave for Better Health
Posted By Dr. Mercola | March 03 2009

[organicindia.mercola.com] [...same as below...]
"Are You Ready to Add More Spice to Your Life -- and Your Health*?"

[organicindia.mercola.com] [...same as above...]
"The Spice that Ignites Your Body's Astonishing Immune System*"

[articles.mercola.com]
Breast Cancer Breakthrough - Cut Your Risk of Death in Half
Posted By Dr. Mercola | February 14 2011

[articles.mercola.com]
The Cancer-Fighting Spice So Potent - It Even Beat Brain Tumors in Mice...
Posted By Dr. Mercola | September 14 2011

[www.naturalnews.com]
Curcumin vs. cancer: The scientific evidence continues to flow in
Friday, March 01, 2013 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

[products.mercola.com]
"Curcumin Supports Women's Hormonal Health and the Male Prostate*"
Posted By Dr. Mercola | October 24 2013

Peace and Love..........John

Date: January 15, 2014 06:45PM

SueZ Wrote:

> Fresh, no she was explaining how her injuries
> made it so she couldn't do cardio and was using
> her problems with her knee to get out of a burning
> building to illustrate that her fabulous body was
> the result of her diet and exercise other than
> cardio. That's all. It wasn't about fatigue.

gotcha. I watched again - she was confusing with what she was saying there.

>
> Now there is no way I would ever use meat or
. So far so good and it's so nice to never
> feel uncomfortably hungry.

it's easy to do a fruit/veg diet wrong and be uncomfortably hungry - until you get it right.

but good luck with what you're doing

Date: January 15, 2014 07:35PM

> but good luck with what you're doing

Thank you, Fresh, I appreciate it.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 15, 2014 09:31PM

can i use turmeric
to make tatoo on myself
i want a little tatoo
on my wrist

has anyone done it?
well maybe i'll be the first

Date: January 15, 2014 09:40PM

"I felt great on the hclf diet but when I found out what it was doing to me I walked away from it that day. That's how I am and that's how I do things. So, once again, the labwork will tell the tale for me and paper studies mean nothing in the light of my own personal experience."

What was it doing to you and what were the staples of your diet?

Date: January 15, 2014 09:54PM

try this thread
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: January 15, 2014 10:47PM

you can get blotchy uneven skin from hormonal imbalance (too low dietary fat). adding like 2 avacados a week fixes it.

fresh Wrote:
> try this thread
> [www.rawfoodsupport.com]
> 3226#msg-233226

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 10:48PM by Panchito.

Date: January 15, 2014 11:03PM

fresh Wrote:
> try this thread
> [www.rawfoodsupport.com]
> 3226#msg-233226

Thank's fresh, for saving me the time and trouble of repeating myself. But just for clarity, it was the metabolism and lipid panel lab results I think I may have posted about on that thread, not the aging skin, (which I wasn't happy with much either), that made me quit that diet immediately. It will be interesting to compare those results with the results this year. I will get back to that thread when I get my new lab work.

I'd rather just talk about turmeric here though I instead of me. But if someone starts a new thread and is transparent with their diet and lab results, including lipid panels, etc. I'll join in with my story if it looks legit.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 16, 2014 12:10AM

George Noory talks about it alot. Do you guys know who he is

Date: January 17, 2014 11:10PM

new vid

5 min

nutritionfacts.org/video/turmeric-curcumin-and-osteoarthritis/

Date: January 18, 2014 03:00AM

Panchito Wrote:
> new vid
>
> 5 min
>
> nutritionfacts.org/video/turmeric-curcumin-and-ost
> eoarthritis/

I take probably more turmeric than probably anyone else here does so there is one thing that wasn't mentioned on the video that I think is important to mention. When you take a lot of it can work as a blood thinner, especially if you are also taking other foods which can work as blood thinners. In my case I found it was the flax/turmeric combination that had started to thin my blood a bit too much resulting in a lot of bruising out of the blue. I now up and lower doses of both these foods accordingly.

Most of the time I consume powdered rather than fresh turmeric and this is my favorite brand.

[www.amazon.com]

I take it in a tonic not in capsules so I know it tastes good, too.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables