Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

hair loss
Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: April 30, 2009 07:41PM

hi

anyone have a cure for hairloss?
i've heard coconut oil soap
soap nut soap

anyone know any good natural cures?
thanks
dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hair loss
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: April 30, 2009 10:59PM

here's what louise hay writes about hair loss:

"when we are tense and afraid, we often create those bands of steel that originate in the shoulder muscles and come up over the top of the head and sometimes even down around the eyes. the hair shaft grows up through the hair follicle. when there is alot of tension in the scalp, the hair shaft can be squeezed so tightly that the hair can no longer breathe, and it dies and falls out. if this tension is continued, and the scalp is not relaxed, then the follicle remains so tight that the new hair cannot grow through. the result is baldness."

i personally believe that lotions and potions and pills and such are no match to our own innate ability to create the bodies (and life for that matter) that we want, through the thoughts we choose to think as we interact with the world. positive, happy thoughts mean less stress on the body so that it can maintain its own healthy state.

this would be where i would start in looking for a natural cure. hope this helps.

Date: May 01, 2009 01:22AM

thanks Marsh.
Louise Hay is great.
she publishes some really goood stuff.

Posted by: Manolie ()
Date: May 01, 2009 10:11PM

Hair loss can in many cases be attributed to a deficiency of Biotin (an essential coenzyme vitmin) and this can be especially true when its primary natural sources: brewer's yeast, milk, meat, egg yolks, saltwater fish, poultry, soybeans, and whole grains are not significant elements in the diet.

Supplementing with 2,500 mcg daily adds just 15 cents or less per day to the food budget, but you might also be avoiding biotin deficiency induced "....anemia, depression, hair loss, high blood sugar, inflammation or pallor of the skin and mucous membranes, insomnia, loss of apetite, muscular pain, nausea, and soreness of the tongue" (from "Prescription for Nutritional Healing's Fourth Edition" Copyright 2006, Avery.)

Incidentally, premature graying is sometimes reversible when para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) levels are restored, while gaining added protection from skin cancer, pollutants, depression, irritability, fatigue, GI distress, nervousness, and having patches of whitened skin.

These possible deficiencies are good illustrations of why a balanced diet of good nutritional foods (with supplements when needed) remains your best key to unlocking the door to good health. Manolie

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 01, 2009 10:15PM

Increase your green consumption dramatically to reverse hair loss. It worked for me. Now I eat about 5 lb / day of romaine lettuce, mostly in smoothies.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 02, 2009 01:03AM

My hair started falling out when I went raw on he beginnng and lost a lot of weight. With time it grew back thicker than before. I did supplement with Botin

Posted by: Manolie ()
Date: May 02, 2009 04:32PM

If any of you are supplementing with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc., send me an email at herbalista@msn.com and I will connect you with a site for making all your purchases at the wholesale prices dealers pay to stock their own shelves. There are 800+ major brands to choose from and the savings are normally 40%-50%, if you choose from those brands which are being discounted in the current month. Manolie

Date: May 02, 2009 10:09PM

Wanted to add: I also switched to using morrocco international hair products.

Date: May 02, 2009 10:38PM

their prices are steep!

cocoa_nibs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wanted to add: I also switched to using morrocco
> international hair products.

Date: May 02, 2009 11:46PM

I dilute them and they passt for awhile. My hair has never been so thick and happy. Warning: these shampoos do not foam, so it takes some getting used to using them. To use them also only makes sense if no other hairproduct is used at all.

Date: May 03, 2009 12:41AM

their website is a little confusing.
which one do you use?

thanks everyone for all the good info.

Date: May 03, 2009 02:28AM

interesting thread...i'm learning so much here...

a couple of things i'm thinking:

first, i've only been raw for about a month now, and i don't seem to be having any deficiences that would make my hair get thin, however, i already have really fine, thin hair and i don't want it to get any thinner. so, while i'm not really into supplements, i'm going to consider supplementing with biotin. i researched the foods rich in it, and i might not be getting enough right now.

cocoa_nibs-
how long before your hair started falling out? and how many mcg of biotin did you supplement with? and for how long? are you still taking it?

and then about hair care products-
i use cucumber aloe WEN by chaz dean. it is completely organic, has no soap so it does not foam, and it fabulous. my hair is also very happy. it is pricey, but lasts a really long time, and i also thin it out to make it last even longer. they call it "conditioning shampoo" because it's like washing your hair with conditioner. it's great. i'll never go back to regular shampoo.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: May 03, 2009 03:34AM

I just found this tonic for hair and thought you could use it

An efficient Hair Tonic can be prepared from the Nettle: Simmer a handful of young Nettles in a quart of water for 2 hours, strain and bottle when cold. Well saturate the scalp with the lotion every other night. This prevents the hair falling and renders it soft and glossy. A good Nettle Hair Lotion is also prepared by boiling the entire plant in vinegar and water, straining and adding Eau de Cologne

Date: May 03, 2009 08:21PM

Recommended is to get all four shampoos and the conditionee and rotate them. Also recommended is to brush with a natural brush.

I don't think the hairloss n the beginning of going raw is a sign of a deficiency, but rather going hand in hand with weightloss, detox, renewal. I would venture he guess that hairloss after a year would be indicative of deficiency. The initial shedding when going raw seems to be quite common. Make sure to get plenty of greens for protein!
As for biotin I was taking Adapt (adrenal supplement), which contains sveral B Vitamins. Please google for exact amounts. I took it for about 6 months.currently I am on a juice feast and not taking anything.
I have read that it takes at least three months for the hair growth cycle to be affected by diet and in my case that's about the time it started. I did switch over to an Eat to Live kind of life style over the course of a year, and really noticed significant changes when cutting out dairy (goat). Had big bout of weightloss then and bar shedding episode began.

All just my experiences. Hope it helps

Date: May 03, 2009 10:49PM

interesting... thanks cocoa

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 04, 2009 01:45PM

Are you discussing hair loss or male pattern baldness hair loss??

MPB is kinda a no win situation unfortunately it seems. Some claim to have regrown, some claim to have halted it, but it stinks anyway you look at it since not enough info is out there yet for long term effects of raw foods for example. People have been claiming things for decades with an infinate amount of products, techniques, drugs, herbal, etc remedies. A few people claiming this or that isn't all that hopeful to me unfortuantely :O(

Date: May 04, 2009 09:17PM

MPB is what I was refering to tanawana.

Not sure if it'll re-grow, but I figure it's worth a try.

Date: May 05, 2009 01:08PM

I hear ya, either that or get used to a hat ;O)

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 05, 2009 03:59PM

tanawana Wrote:
> I hear ya, either that or get used to a hat ;O)
I had my Best Hair when I was drinking a lot of
Wheatgrass Juice, but, like Medjool said, any Greens should
do. Hair and scalp massage, with the green juice, will help.
Instead of getting used to a hat, you can always proudly show
the hair you do have. Wear it slightly on the long side, and
strut-your-stuff....WY

Date: May 05, 2009 11:33PM

i shave mine wy.
#1 on my razor.

i'm ok with it, but it would be nice if
i could have it all back.

it's worth a try.

Date: May 06, 2009 01:35AM

WY - I was just joking there about the hat.

Besides, I'm fortunate though approaching 50 and having enough hair to wear it quite longer than most males my age. But I imagine it won't be there forever, but ya never know.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 06, 2009 06:13AM

Just did a quick search for biotin rich foods and got this list. Try adding these along with the biotin supplement and see how it goes? Hope it works for you, I have had thin hair for years now (all while vegetarian/vegan.. just getting interested in raw and starting out) and haven't had any regrowth. I know how disheartening it can be. Good luck!

What foods provide biotin?

Excellent sources of biotin include chard, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, and carrots. Very good sources include almonds, chicken eggs, onions, cabbage, cucumber, and cauliflower. Good sources includes goat's milk, cow's milk, raspberries, strawberries, halibut, oats, and walnuts.

Date: May 06, 2009 07:41AM

Just for the record, I'm a gal (38).

Date: May 06, 2009 01:55PM

me too (48)

i'm supplementing with biotin now. even though i'm not that into supplements, i wnat to see if my hair can gain back a little more thickness. i'll give it a try for a few months.

Date: May 07, 2009 01:50PM

i'm a guy 41
started receding at 18...bummer.

i'm using biotin too, even though i'm not that into supplements either, 1000mcg's daily. i'll give it 3 months and see.

also heard rubbing your finger nails together helps.

Date: May 13, 2009 09:35PM

i have also hear tbm can help.
tbm = total body modification
it's a holistic health thing.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 13, 2009 10:09PM

mrdc Wrote:
> i have also hear tbm can help.
> tbm = total body modification
> it's a holistic health thing.
I like that!! Treat the whole body, inside and
out, and let the chips fall where they may concerning Hair.
Probably best to avoid supplements, which only build up in the
body, and go with Diet and Exercise.
I'm just getting into self body-massage and Hot Yoga (Bikram
style), in addition to Raw Foods, for healing....WY

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 14, 2009 12:56AM

The guy i found supplements it with lifeline therapy too.
Sounds cool to me also WY.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables