Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

coconut oil, is it very fatty??
Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: May 01, 2009 02:42AM

I wonder, cus at whole foods today I came across a book,

healing powers of coconuts,
and bam there was a chapter for coconuts oil and healing ulcerative colitis.
Apparently a doctor who had been taking convential medicine for years, developed IBD..

And he tried to combat it naturally for 2 in a half years, and finally had asuccess, took a water fast, and like 10 table spoons of coconut oil a day and bam problem solved..

What do you guys think? I thought coconut oil was hard to digest, cus its all fat etc.

Any experience or words of wisdom? is it worth a shot? maybe a lot of water, a simple fruit smoothie a day, and some coconut oil? but Im scared to make my problems worse.. aha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coconut oil, is it very fatty??
Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: May 01, 2009 01:16PM

coconut oil,like all oil,is 100% fat and a processed food. There are only two fatty acids that are essential. ALA and LA(omega 3 and omega 6) They are found in green vegetables and various seeds.

[jeffnovick.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 01, 2009 02:33PM

hg,

What's the scientific evidence offered in this book? Coconut oil is considered anti-inflammatory, but so are various chemicals in fruits and veggies, which are relatively low in fat, besides. Beware of anything that proposes a single magic bullet cure. There is no such thing, not even in Healthy Foods World. It's usually several classes of foods, with several varieties of chemicals, working synergistically over time, that have the greatest healing-prompting effect on the body.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: May 01, 2009 04:36PM

He had a water fast then took 10 tbsp coconut oil daily.

I'd guess his success was due to his water fast followed by a cessation of ingesting the things that had caused his IBS.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 01, 2009 05:02PM

..coconut oil has been studied in regards to UC..

"...Medium-chain triglycerides are digested and absorbed more completely than their long-chain counterparts, and are water soluble. Medium-chain triglycerides are found in coconut oil, whereas safflower and soybean oil are good sources of long-chain triglycerides.[17]
Other small studies have shown that low-fat diets and diets with medium-chain triglycerides are superior to higher fat diets in the induction and maintenance of remission.[18,19] [www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov]

..something about the way medium chain fats are absorbed easily through the intestines, without having to be cleaved and then re-assembled like long chain fatty acids. 'Pubmed' is one of the better sources for info, herbal.

Paul Nison and Fred Bisci went on a coconut hunt in Florida and made a cool youtube video on it a little while back.

Whole food coconut is a botanical fruit, especially the 'young' type. I'd be enjoying those if they were available in my locale.

Date: May 01, 2009 06:44PM

I drink lotsa coconut water. =] I looove it.. Its like a craving at first, then my first sips are like heaven..

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 01, 2009 06:54PM

Look for raw organic coconut butter. It's made from whole coconut, not just the oil.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 01, 2009 07:53PM

Utopian Life,

That stuff is hard to come by hereabouts, to the degree that there can be confusion. I was told by someone who worked at my favorite health food store, that a customer bought some coconut "butter"; which admittedly should be labeled better to distinguish it from coconut oil, and returned the jar soon after. She was irate that when she tried to slather it on her face as a moisturizer, as with coconut oil, she became a sticky, nubbly, candy-scented mess. I am guessing the manager had a hard time keeping a straight face when dealing with her : )

Posted by: laniereed ()
Date: May 01, 2009 08:29PM

coconut oil is fat................from my experience it is ok for me in very small dossages to injest........i use it on my skin after a shower...........
the better choice is baby tai coconuts................now that's a realllllllllllllllllllll treat! llllanie

Date: May 01, 2009 11:17PM

mm yea.. baby tai coconuts are yummy too!

I have cold pressed raw coconut oil.. but I dont think Im gonna try it since its fat.. Im worried it will mess up my digestion. :\

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: May 02, 2009 03:57AM

There are tons of links saying that coconut oil burns like a carb. That most oils burn like large, moist logs and don't always get completely burned. What isn't burned is stored in fat cells and can become rancid. But that the MCTs in coconut oil burn like dry wood chips and are used up rapidly.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 02, 2009 05:58PM

herbalgerbals

at whole foods today I came across a book, healing powers of coconuts

I have heard good things about the healing properties of coconuts. I wonder if coconut is considered a super food ?

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: May 03, 2009 03:26AM

right now i'm craving coconuts. i am also wondering about their health promoting qualities. something in them my body wants right now...

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: May 05, 2009 02:50AM

Hi Herbals
Coconut oil (and milk). Short and medium chain triglycerides. They change in the human body. It's tropical, accustomed to hot weather, where humans developed, the oils are stable and we can handle that. Anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties.
My nutritionist says eat 3 times a week, 4 tsp to 4tbs, depending on where you live (how polluted) and if you're a male.
Coconuts are natural and available all year long. It reduces free radical damage and reduce impact on thyroid gland. Improves metabolism and fat burning ability is improved. Check countries were people eat it regular, they are skinny and healthy.
Extremely easy to digest and become energy, they don't go through the process of long chain triglycerides, it is absorbed by the cells and is burnt directly by the liver, save us from energy loss. 7 - 8.3 calories per gram as opposed to other fats which are 9 calories per gram.
Eaten in addition to olive oil or palm kernal oil. The best oils come from fruits not seeds (except raw sesame) which are tropical, and it is natural to get a large amount of them in nature.
This information came from Dr.Tel-Oren, from Minnesota.
smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables