Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Compromised Raw
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 03, 2009 12:12AM

When I slipped last summer and it took me 6 weeks to get back to all fresh raw I clawed my way back because the benefits I had received as a raw food eater were slipping away fast. As soon as I was able to get back to all fresh raw I resumed making progress toward better health & wellness. I was just wondering what experiences other raw food eaters have had eating compromised raw, that is eating a raw diet that is not made up of all truly raw foods. At what point does a compromised diet compromise the results for you ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Compromised Raw
Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: May 03, 2009 12:31AM

I compromised 80/10/10 a couple of months ago when I went on a vacation. I'm struggling to get back on, but the last few days have gone really well.

I've gained most of the weight I lost when going 80/10/10. But, I have mixed feelings about it. At times, I've felt pretty good just being raw.,,

david

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 03, 2009 12:37AM

I don't understand the question? I have never felt compromised, nor thought that my raw items weren't really raw.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: May 03, 2009 01:01AM

I started eating raw two years ago and made a overnight change which lasted about six months. I comprimised eating raw during my familys thanks giveig dinner and went of the deep end binging on everything. I eventually lost everything I worked so hard to gain from eating raw foods, I even gained back much of the weight I lost. I started to fast and bing for a while till that brought some health problems. I struggled to get back to raw, I would go raw for a month and then eat something cooked and boom it was all over I ended up binging. These last two weeks I have been able to maintain eating raw except for eating occasional popcorn and the popcorn thing is starting to go as well. I had to step back and take a serious look at things for sure because the fasting and binging eating raw then eating cooked was causing health problems. I had to decide if I was going to eat cooked foods or all raw and I had to realize the way I was going about things was not working for me. One thing I did was to not push myself into eating raw but I decided to take a different approach. For example I really had a craving for coffee so I decided to just not force myself to quit coffee but to drink the coffee makeing myself aware of just how I felt when drinking it, like how it smelled and how it made my stomach feel and how it made me stay up at night ect ect. Eventually I could smell the coffee on my skin and when I did a b.m. and it was not pleasant. I began to associate the coffee with the awful smell it made when it came out of my pores. I no longer drink coffee and don't anticipate drinking it in the future.
I usually have to cook for the family and am around cooked foods all the time. One thing I really have a hard time with is pizza so after being raw for a couple of weeks I ate some pizza with my family and instantly began to feel a painful bloat, the pain was so great I almost wanted to go to the e.r. I don't crave pizza anymore and I don't have any desire to mix my raw eating by eating cooked foods. I feel happily raw now and hope to not comprimise my eating in the future

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: May 03, 2009 03:18PM

even though i haven't been raw for very long now, just about a month, i do notice a big difference in the effects of different types of food when i slip. wheat has a severe effect on me, and the slip with the bagel the other day made me really feel bad physically, it turned my mind to mush for 2 days and then i craved more of it- which i had to use much willpower to not eat. over this nearly 100% raw month, other small slips here and there of a few tortilla chips, or tidbits of other cooked, i just went right back to raw without a struggle. so for me, the allergy foods create the biggest challenge if i indulge in those.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: May 03, 2009 04:06PM

interesting question!
I find when I include non-raw food in my diet that, while sometimes making life/social situations 'easier' I do feel it physically/emotionally. more mucus,I get the odd cold once in a while, plus my whole body feels kind of stiff, like I feel the need to do more yoga, kind of 'stretch it out'. I definately experience a lot more PMS, again, physically and emotionally (when 100% raw I get literally zero symptoms).

for me it's a case of balance - I know I compromise my health by not being 100%, but sometimes it just makes life easier to be a bit freer in my diet and not beat myself up about it. Plus, it depends how much you 'slip' - there's a big difference between bingeing on junk food and having a little cooked 'healthy' food every once in a while...

ps - dvdai, be careful, I'm scared you're gonna fall off that mountain! :-D

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: May 03, 2009 05:39PM

Looking back on it, I wasn't being very smart standing at that edge.

I was on the Appalachian Trail in northern Georgia. Good Times!

david

Posted by: suzie08022 ()
Date: May 09, 2009 10:00AM

Eating raw is slowly showing benefits that I don't want to lose. that is the biggest motivator to keep on track. I don't think I would have an easy time getting back to raw if I ate something cooked. I still cook for my husband although he is capable of cooking for himself. The food doesn't tempt me. What does is dreaming about diner food. I do live in NJ. Thankfully, that is starting to diminish.

Does eating something like vegan almond cheese have a bad effect on you? I have to admit that I still will sneak a cup of coffee. It doesn't seem to bother me. If I really want a buzz, I'll eat a Lara Chocolate coffee bar. Oh my gosh, talk about a burst of energy.....

The key for me is to always have things available. If I am craving something bad, there is nothing better, (I think) than a homemade veggie burger with soaked walnuts and sunflower seeds, onion, carrot and Braggs. I don't even have my dehydrator yet, I just smash the mix together with tomato and avocado. Also, even though I should avoid nuts because of my weight issues, almonds and sun tea really hit the spot.

Here's a question that keeps coming up; I see some recipes that include tofu. In a raw cookbook I was looking at there were several. Can this be?

Suzie

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: May 09, 2009 01:45PM

hi suzie-

tofu is not raw.

Posted by: suzie08022 ()
Date: May 09, 2009 10:49PM

Thanks, I didn't think so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables