Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Need Motivation? Haviing Trouble Staying Raw?Advice From 9 1/2 year Raw Fooder/Nurse!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 06, 2009 09:56PM

Reading through the posts I wanted to share my long time experience.(I am also alarmed at the amount of purges,fasts, colonics and supplements people are taking and using including colloidal silver. These can often create problems of their own - be careful.)

First of all I cured myself of breast cancer more than nine years ago now. After I got my diagnosis I turned down chemo, radiation,surgery and drugs. I immediatley went on a 100% raw food diet. I am still eating 100% raw today. I have never had any kind of cleansing reaction. I never felt bad while making the change. I have never taken purges and fasts and am concerned about malnutrition by those doing so. I have been eating fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. I drink lots of green juice and especially carrot juice every day. I drank tons of carrot juice after my diagnosis. I sleep 5 hours a night to answer that question I saw on the forum. And I have been sleeping only 5 hours since I started eating raw foods. I have tons of energy and have never had a cold or flu. I take no drugs of any kind and haven't even had an aspirin. I feel great every day and LOVE my raw food. I eat a ton of fruits every day, huge salads and don't eat chocolate, miso or nama shoyu. I prepare a few raw recipes here and there but mostly eat food in its natural state- just lots of it. When people tell me they don't feel good or have low energy after starting on raw foods, I worry that they are not eating enough. I eat a lot of raw food every day and never gain weight. I never feel hungry or deprived. People around me eat cooked food and I am not tempted in the least. I would not trade the wonderful energy, mood and feeling I have receieved from raw foods. I'm a great-grandma and people around me are dying or talkng about their surgeries or illnesses. I'm in PERFECT health! My bloodwork is perfect as is cholesterol, blood pressure etc. I play lots of tennis, hike, fastwalk, and work out in a club. I have many hours in the day because I require so little sleep. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer I also had fibromyalgia, arthritis, GERD, IBS, undiagnosed celiac disease, chronic bleeding gum infections, canker sores, chronic sinus infections and much more! I had been hospitalized with pneumonia and had strep throat. If I can motivate you in any way with this story it will make me happy! I see peole struggling and wonder why. I know in my case I was highly motivated. I did to want to die from breast cancer and I did not want to poison myself with chemo and drugs etc. I wanted to boost my immune system and that is exactly what RAW foods do. Personally I don't see the need for fasts, purges, supplements (except perhaps B12 and vitamin D3), colonics etc. when raw foods go to work natrually. I like to watch the animals eat on animal documentaries. They never cook their food or take supplements. I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes or made anyone mad. Just only want to pass on what has worked for me for almost ten years. If you are 100% raw now and having health problems you might make sure to eliminate nama shoyu (with roased wheat)and consider the gene test for celiac disease. The blood tests won't work if you've been off cooked food for awhile. BTW I'm an R.N. PM (email) me if I can answer any questions or help you. (Webmaster: how do I change my user name?) I referred to this forum many times for encouragement over the years - Thank you! Helen
[www.RawFoodDietCure.com]
[www.RecipesRaw.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Motivation? Haviing Trouble Staying Raw?Advice From 9 1/2 year Raw Fooder/Nurse!
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 06, 2009 10:35PM

Helen--
Congrats on your successful healing of cancer. Sounds like you have an excellent strategy. I wonder why you're against fasting, however? It has a venerable history in the raw food movement, and many people swear by juice and/or water fasting a few times a year for optimal health benefits.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Re: Need Motivation? Haviing Trouble Staying Raw?Advice From 9 1/2 year Raw Fooder/Nurse!
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 06, 2009 10:43PM

Helen, or Victoria,

Thanks so much for posting this! I think we need more of this sort of straightforward, no-nonsense information from long-term raw foodists doing things simply. It is very confusing, sometimes, to read about the various ways in which people live the raw life when in a diseased state: Are they eating the right way? Is there some way they could be eating that would be more therapeutic? What am I to do in my own case? Am I giving bad advice? Does it even matter?

Certainly, I subscribe to the, "to each his/her own" philosophy, but I am glad every time I read a first-person account that describes a streamlined regimen, especially from a medical professional. My left brain is so pleased : )

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 07, 2009 01:54AM

Helen -- Its great to hear about someone who is not jumping around and trying this or that but rather just staying the course with a simple raw food lifestyle. Thanks for your post. smiling smiley

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: May 07, 2009 11:53AM

Thank you for your post, I've always felt better doing it simply like you do.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 07, 2009 04:43PM

victoria Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...... I drink
> lots of green juice and especially carrot juice
> every day. I drank tons of carrot juice after my
> diagnosis.
Helen.....Thanks for sharing your story. I've
always felt that Carrot Juice (along with Wheatgrass Juice)
is a Panacea.
Would you share the type of juicer you use for making Carrot Juice?....WY

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 07, 2009 08:30PM

Congratulations Helen on your success with a raw food diet!

And good luck with the book! smiling smiley

Date: May 07, 2009 09:58PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> Would you share the type of juicer you use for
> making Carrot Juice?....WY
Helen....The reason I'm asking is several of the posters at
the Juicing Forum have suggested that Nutrients are lost, and
Enzymes killed, with the Centrifugal type juicer. Since you healed
yourself on Juices and Raw Foods, I thought it would be interesting to
know what juicer you used for making Carrot Juice....WY

Date: May 08, 2009 06:08AM

Thanks for your great response! I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes. I appreciate it everyone.
Re: juicer -Sure-- I used/use a Green Life Juice Extractor. Later models were called Green Star and then Green Power. I have a back-up Champion. My Green Life just developed a mechanical problem afetr juicing 2-5 times a day for more than nine years! Until I get it fixed or a new one I have been using the Champion. If you have used them both you know the difference. With the green Life/Power I have to push the carrots down hard (I have very developed muscles in my back because of it- ha ha- true!) but it takes lacinato kale so easy! My Champion takes the carrots easy (and no muscles) but I have to put the pulp thru twice to get more juice out. It does not like greens. I have read many times as you all have about the enzyme loss with centrifugal juicers. But I think one has to be practical. Green Power and Champion are not cheap. If one just can't get them it'better to juice than not. In fact if you look at carrot juice from a centrifigal juicer it is alway bright orange. I see no oxidation and I don't know what nutrients would be lost. You could always use it and just drink more if you're concerned assuming you are not losing a particular nutruent which I question. One wonders how much is due to marketing campaigns by the manufacturer. I always try to use common sense. Jack LaLanne juciers are about $89 at Costco. He looks great at 94! I wold not buy a Champion again becasue it doesn't take greens well. I don't want to make anyone mad but this has been my experience.
Re: Fasting--I know fasting has been a part of the raw movement for SOME people, but many I know do not fast. I am concerned because we need the nutrients in raw foods. Fasting loses time when we need to boost our immune systems. It is extremely hard on the body to fast no matter what anyone tells you. Water fasts have had their problems and I personally now raw fooders who have gone to hospitals from the retreats. Raw foods are naturally so cleansing-- the liver loves them and carrot juice is a great cleanser. I always feel that each of should decide what is best for us and not be swayed by fads or trends in the movement. I respect other's views and how they want to proceed on the raw food diet, I don't know everything that's for sure and only know what's best for my body. I think newbies may think they have to fast,take colonics, or cleanses or purges or etc. Cancer and other ailments are tightly connected to malnutriton - malnutrition achieved through the standard American diet. And believe it or not I have never had a drop of wheatgrass juice! Helen
[www.RawFoodDietCure.com]
[www.RecipesRaw.com]

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 08, 2009 07:25AM

thank you so much for your post.

Do you drink carrot juice on it's own? I used to make apple and carrot juice and found that it gave me bloating problems. I have not tried carrot juice on its own. Could you please explain the benefits of carrot juice. I am very interested.

I have never made a 'green juice' - do you mean just kale or do you put an apple or some other sweet fruit in. I do make apple/cucumber and celery juice - is this a 'green' juice?

I am also reassured by your comments about juicers as I have a cheaper model and was worried about it's efficiency after reading so many negative posts.

I like to eat simply and had been experiencing a bit of 'drift', allowing a few non raw foods to creep in and generally feeling a bit low about the whole thing. Your post has come at a very good time for me. It has bucked me up no end. Thanks again
Philippa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 07:34AM by flipperjan.

Date: May 08, 2009 09:00AM

Thanks Helen for your detailed response about Juicers. I was
hoping you used a Centrifugal for making Carrot Juice, because that's
what I use. The Green Star (twin-gear) Camp will be happy knowing you use
one of their models called the Green Life. I owned one many years ago, and
mine started cracking around the twin-gear holes. Hope you can get yours
repaired soon.
I admire you very much for doing what you do (and have done)....
I know it's probably Second Nature to you now.
That's funny about you never drinking Wheatgrass Juice. I guess it's not as
Great as I think, but I'm going to continue drinking it. It is quite an effort
to grow, juice, and then dispose of the mat. I've been real Lazy here lately
and haven't been growing any....WY

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: May 08, 2009 01:41PM

i appreciate all of these comments on this thread so much, and thanks helen, for sharing your story. it is very encouraging and inspiring.

i just want to make a quick comment about wheatgrass. just because one person regained health from a very compromised state without it, does not mean it cannot be a very powerful choice for others. (and helen, i am not suggesting that you implied that)- but, in support of this wonderful healing plant, i want to mention that i know of people who have also cured their cancer using wheatgrass. i believe it has wonderful healing qualities, and is a powerhouse of nutrients and enzymes. i became very ill about 2 years ago, and helped my body come back around with a diet of raw foods and alot of wheatgrass juice. i was drinking probably 8 to 12 ounces or more a day for about 2 months, and then less for several months after that.

while we all carve out our own path, and do what is best for out own individual needs, i am always inspired to know what is working for others.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 08, 2009 02:53PM

Hi Victoria,
Just a couple points to clarify and share my experience:

>many I know do not fast. I am concerned because we need the nutrients in raw foods<

Actually, when one is juice fasting, they are assimilating a massive amount of nutrients-- probably vastly more than they would get from their daily raw food diet-- especially if they are drinking vegetable juices, and the nutrients are easily and extremely quickly and easily assimilated.
With respect to water fasting while we need the nutrients, I'm not so sure we need all these nutrients all the time. I suspect there are many raw foodists who are also overfed and would thrive better (and have stronger immune systems) if they took a break from time to time--sometimes less is more-- calorie restriction, for instance, has been shown to boost immunity and overall health-- when it comes to food. Also, some newbies with compromised systems need to fast in order to cleanse the digestive tract to a point where it can even begin to assimilate food.

>Fasting loses time when we need to boost our immune systems. It is extremely hard on the body to fast no matter what anyone tells you.<

My understanding and personal experience is that juice fasting, in particular, can very quickly boost your immune system. And I personally never feel better or more energetic than when I'm juice fasting (having been a raw foodist for 25 years +). There is something so special about juice fasting; for me, personally, it's a joyful, extremely health-giving experience I look forward to, and when I complete a juice fast I always feel incredibly vital and healthy.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 08, 2009 04:14PM

Connecting the dots: Using juice fasting pre & post fasting to top off reserve stores.
Juice fast for immune system challenges and water fast for cleansing, repair and general maintenance.
What do you think ?

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: May 08, 2009 05:27PM

i agree with much of what kwan says about fasting. my own personal experience with juice fasting has always been extremely positive and rewarding. in fact, while i know that my body has become stronger by the way i feel during and after fasting, the best part for me is the mental clarity and heightened spiritual awareness that comes during the fast.

i feel that most any good thing can be overdone, and thus loose its potential benefit, but for me, fasting is a very good thing, and i listen to my body's request for it.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 08, 2009 11:34PM

I think Kwan brings up some very good points; and I agree that both water fasts and juice fasts can be very helpful, when they're not overdone.

But I also agree with Victoria, that it's very important to make sure we're getting all the raw food nutrients that we need. Sometimes it seems we're in such a rush to clean out all the bad stuff, that we might overlook the importance of obtaining sufficient nutrients to enable us to stay successfully raw for the long term - particularly minerals, and even the omegas and Vitamin E. Our cells are constantly renewing themselves, and they need particular nutrients not just to rebuild, but to function properly.

Unfortunately, most of the information available about nutrients comes from research done by people who are not raw food vegans.

BUT, most nutrition research tends to actually support the viability of a raw food diet, despite the diet choices of most of the researchers!

The entire subject of nutrition absolutely fascinates me. I'd like to learn more about what a registered nurse has to say about her own raw food journey, and her conclusions. I might be ordering your book, Victoria!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 11:39PM by suncloud.

Date: May 09, 2009 02:53AM

suncloud Wrote:
> I might be ordering your book, Victoria!
Yes, and I'm going to order a copy too. However, I
don't think Victoria started this Topic just to sell a few books. I
feel she really wants to help people. And her book is one way
to do that. I believe she has written two.
This might be a good time for all of us to reflect on 'why we
post here'....WY

Posted by: Arrow ()
Date: May 09, 2009 07:55AM

Fantastic straightforward inspiration.Thank you. 12 days raw, Arrow

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 09, 2009 10:03AM

right on arrow

keep at it!!

Posted by: ruby ()
Date: May 10, 2009 12:33PM

My two dear friends were diagnosed with breast cancer, and both of them picked the "chemo road". I was devastated, and suggested to them the option of natural healing. They both declinedsad smiley I love my friends and will support them no matter what, but it is soooo hard to watch what they are going through knowing that it was a better way...

Victoria/Helen, thank you so much for this post. It is a true inspiration.

Ruby

Date: May 15, 2009 02:53PM

Helen,
Thank you so much for your words and encouragement. I'm just working up to joining the Raw Foodists. I've been on every type of diet trying to find better health, Vegetarian, Vegan and even Atkins lifestyles. I think this is where I belong, but it's a hugh difference for me. I have so many questions and fears.

You sound like you've really been through it all. I'm so happy for you that you overcame cancer and such. I do not have any serious health problems, yet, but I am just over the obesity line and I quit smoking about 5 months ago and continue to use nicotine gum. I have considered different fasts and cleanses. I have been doing natural essential oils for better health, no Rx's in 3 yrs. I'm a 58 y/o divorced female, independent office professional and I'm open to any suggestions or recommendations. I've been reading a lot of the messages here and making myself more confused. Can you tell me how you started, I know you had real health concerns driving you for a better way, maybe you can offer me simple start procedures.

I'm in upstate New York, and would love to find someone who could become a close food/health friend. Seeing it's Friday and I want to start soon, I'll probably shop in our "Greenstar" natural market today after work, but would love to hear from you soon. Could you, and is it permitted to email me at home? blcg50@yahoo.com. Thank you and please continue the encouragemet you offer here.
Bonnie

Posted by: Annana ()
Date: May 15, 2009 03:20PM

It's really great to read such a success story (-: Thanks!
Since I read David Wolfe I stay away from carrors, because of his explanations about hybrid foods. One of the many things that are so confusing.
About the juicers: I use the (much cheaper!) samson juicer ("Best Buy" Masticating Juicer by Which? magazine) and it works perfect for me, especially for green juices.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables