Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you eat bruised apples?
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: May 09, 2009 05:38PM

This supermarket near me sells bags of organic fuji apples for cheap. Problem is some of the apples are bruised. I usually perform surgery, but is it really a big deal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you eat bruised apples?
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: May 09, 2009 06:28PM

i always cut off the bad spots on any fruit or veg....weirds me out to eat rotten stuff.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 09, 2009 06:37PM

I think the bruised bits taste foul so no I don't eat them. But on bananas my partner happily eats the blackish bits but I can't stand the texture. Eat what feels or tastes ok to you I guess smiling smiley

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: May 09, 2009 09:05PM

I do, especially if I'm juicing them. I guess its the cider effect, as long as there's no mold or fungus, a bit of brown won't kill me...I think, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2009 09:06PM by OkunDeji.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: May 10, 2009 11:25AM

When a fruit gets bruised, it's like our bodies getting bruised. Or so I learned in biology class. That is, if I remember correctly.

Oxidation turns the flesh of the fruit brown or black, and turns our skin either brown or purple. I don't know why the difference in colors.

Oxidation is not a good thing. When metals oxidize, they rust.

Honestly, I may have my facts all mixed up about all this. I mean, why is it that oxygen is harmful?

But this is my recollection, as flawed as it may all be.

Troy.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 10, 2009 03:55PM

By law fruit juice manufacturers are allowed to put up to 10% rotten and bruised fruit into their juice as long as its pasteurized so it must be OK ?
I feel more comfortable trimming it out as part of my quality control because I don't eat/drink any pasteurized foods.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 12, 2009 05:43AM

We are getting those apples here, to, LOL.

I juice them just fine. May be better not to, but I spend so much time juicing as it is (juice feast).

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: May 14, 2009 05:09AM

I wouldn't if I had the option of unbruised, but if I was broke I'd buy them and cut off the bruised bits.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables