Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dr. Said I Would Die...and I Didn't
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: May 09, 2009 07:32PM

I was diaganosed with secondary adrenal insufficiency 4 years ago. The endocrinologist said my adrenal glands had failed and I needed to be on cortisone replacement for life or I would die. I ordered my medical ID bracelet, took my daily cortisone, ordered my emergency injection supplies, and when on to feel unwell and gain 60 lbs over the last 4 years.

In mid 2008 I began feeling worse by the day. My hair fell out & changed texture, my face got round, my body composition changed. I had a huge stomach and a big hump on my back. The Dr. would not reduce my cortisone.

Over a 3 month peroid I weened myself off the cortisone without my doctor's permission. I knew something was drastically wrong. I did not feel sicker or go into a potentially fatal adrenal crisis. I did not die as I was told I would.

I went to a new endocrinologist. It turns out I developed drug-induced Cushing's Syndrome for being treated for the adrenal failure I never had. After reviewing the labs the new Dr. determined the proper tests were never done in the first place to establish adrenal "failure".

I'm huge, swollen and am told it could take 6-24 months or more to get over the effects of the cortisone.

I've delved into a cooked comfort zone which I know doesn't help, but I really want to be high or 100% raw. I want my health back and I'm trying to not beat myself up if I'm not 100%. It's a negative energy I don't need.

Today has been lovely bananas, walnuts and some organic green leaf lettuce.

I've been missing you all,
Blessings,
Wendy in Oklahoma

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dr. Said I Would Die...and I Didn't
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 09, 2009 07:58PM

Gee Wendy,

Good for you for going to the new doctor! Sure hope you're feeling better really soon! I'm sure everybody here will be wishing you the very best!!!!!!!!

Love ya!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 09, 2009 08:37PM

wendysmiling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm huge, swollen and am told it could take 6-24
> months or more to get over the effects of the
> cortisone.
Thanks Wendy for sharing your story with us. You know
what to do, but you might do some 'light' Water Fasting to help
purify your system of the Cortisone.
I always enjoyed the picture you included with your posts. Perhaps
you can include one again when you get well?....WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 09, 2009 09:17PM

Wendy congratulations on finding out what is truly wrong. Celebrate your accomplishments and aknowledge and learn from your defeats. It took me about 18 months of detoxing from Cortisone and other steroids, be happy be healthy and good luck on your road to good health smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 09, 2009 10:22PM

I'm so sorry to hear about the mis-diagnosis and medication effects. We're here for you if you need to talk!

Get well soon.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 09, 2009 11:20PM

Wendy,
Wow, I am so glad you went for a second opinion. I know it'll probably take a little while, but now you can really heal and the excess weight that you were concerned about will start melting off. What a blessing to know that you don't have to take cortizone-- I've been on cortizone myself, when I was a child no less, and the stuff is nasty. When I finally went raw in my early 30s, I was still chunky and, as you say, 'swollen,' but eating raw food and fasting really helped.

More power to you, Wendy. Things are going to be a lot better for you from here on in.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: May 10, 2009 03:39AM

If the proper test were not done its malpractice, Nader said back some time ago, going to the hospital or your doctor can be like taking a walk in the mine fields. how many people are killed this way??? very glad you became your best doctor and went elswhere for another opinon. sounds like your on the right road now, healing thoughts your way!
Peace rhb

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 10, 2009 04:43AM

Wow..a second chance and fresh start without drugs. You will do it, and you'll regain what it took you those years to lose..and it won't take 4 years either!

Let us know how you are doing and the progress you make along the way.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: May 10, 2009 05:44AM

Wow Wendy, well done, and that is pretty inspirational too.

I was damaged by pharmaceutical drugs too, they take a pretty heavy toll.

It does take time to heal properly, keep us posted on your progress

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 10, 2009 06:19AM

Wendy, sorry tohear you have been Through so much. Things will get better soon, for sure that you are off the damaging drugs and doctor. Stories like that are so sad. Good for you that you kept looking and took yourhealth into your own hands. Keep healing!

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: May 10, 2009 08:21PM

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I will water fast for a couple of days and back to smoothies and salads. :-) It took awhile to get over being so pissed at the whole situation. But the negative energy never does any good, ya know?

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 10, 2009 09:25PM

I am so happy you are able to turn it around Wendy.

I love happy endings!

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 10, 2009 10:03PM

Go for it. I am just doing an extended juice feast and it's very helpful.

I van relate to the anger about iatrogenic health issues. I'm in a similar boat with my endocrine system and other issues brought on by a therapy gone awry. I'm officially off all meds as of five days. The juicefeast had a lot to do with it. Best wishes to you

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: May 11, 2009 02:01AM

love and blessings to you dear Wendy

Cynthia

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: May 14, 2009 05:21AM

Very glad to hear you are off the cortizone, Wendy.

These drugs suppress symptoms, as the body's elimination efforts are put on hold to deal with the new toxic invader. So, the toxins remain, the body desperately has to eliminate them elsewhere, which results in other (often more dramatic) symptoms.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables