Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Chocolate not healthy. Raw Food Leaders agree!
Posted by: Paul Nison ()
Date: May 15, 2009 06:06PM

His is not a promotion about me or my website. It's the stated facts in a youtube video I just made about raw chocolate. Raw Food leaders agree it's not healthy. The resources are there to back up the claims. The people suggesting raw chocolate are not healthy
Just some of the many raw food teachers who do not think raw chocolate is healthy. See the video no youtube or at the link below.

And one more thing. This is not about Paul Nison against raw chocolate or Paul against anyone teaching it is okay. It is about Paul again what is not healthy.

Paul Nison
Dr. Fred Bisci
Dr. Rick Dina
Dr. Karen Dina
Dr. Gabriel Cousens
Dr. Brian Clement
Dr. T
Anna Maria Clement
Viktoras Kulvinskas
Rev George Malkmus

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Chocolate not healthy. Raw Food Leaders agree!
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 15, 2009 09:00PM

What are you responding to? This post seems like it should be linked to somebody's claim or charge. I can't find the cross link. Paul, what are you responding to?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 16, 2009 02:10AM

Dr. T? who is this? does he have a full name? anyways i agree chocolate .. not the healthiest of things to consume.

is Dr. T related to Mr. T? tongue sticking out smiley

I PITY THE FOOL THAT EATS CHOCOLATE ! RRRrrr !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2009 02:13AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: kollie ()
Date: May 16, 2009 08:47AM

Has anyone else watched this video and though it was a joke?
He goes on and on and on saying how unhealthy cacao is, but gives no credible
reasons himself or at the other websites he sends you to.
He equates cacao a raw food to a processed drug cocaine.
He says cacao contains high levels of saturated fat, I learned that saturated fat from plants was good for you, like coconut oil.
He says raw cacao can kill your dog, cat, horse, parrot. So I won't feed it to my dog, cat, horse or parrot. Just because raw acorns can kill people does not mean squirrels should not eat them.
He says it is estimated that 22 pounds of cacao can kill you. What if a sack of it hits you in the head? The most I've eaten in a day is like 3 tablespoons. Eating to much anything including water can kill you.
He says raw cacao can dilate blood vessels. I thought that was a good thing.
He says raw cacao is high in oxalic acid. I copied the following from the web
---Foods that contain significant quantities of oxalic acid include cocoa, chocolate, most nuts, most berries, rhubarb, beans, and beets, among many others.
Other foods that contain moderate amounts of oxalic acid are rhubarb stalks, star fruit, black pepper, parsley, poppy seed, amaranth, spinach, chard, beets, most nuts and beans.---

I'm not saying cacao is good for you, but my guess would be like many things in moderation it's ok. The problem is if you read enough you will find someone who has a problem with just about every food, just off the top of my head I have read that the following should not be eaten (not that I agree) green sweet peppers, bananas that are not overripe, garlic, mung bean sprouts,lentil bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, pineapples and many more.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 16, 2009 01:02PM

Jodi,

I almost fell out of my chair laughing--THANK YOU!!!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 16, 2009 01:10PM

kollie,

I think that this a casual, rather than clinical post on Paul Nison's part, so there won't be a lot of "data" cited. He's going on anecdotal evidence he's picked up working at the Hippocrates Health Institute and with Dr. Fred Bisci(who's been doing Raw as long as God has existed), I surmise.

I like raw chocolate for the flavor and mouthfeel once in a while. I know my body doesn't like it. I also know something about the cultural origins of cacao use. There's a reason why the Emperor kept it to himself--it induced frenzies in ritual quantities, and conceivably could have incited revolt if commonly taken by everyone. My poor Spanish teacher mother would be rolling her eyes at all this fuss . . .

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: May 16, 2009 02:48PM

When I eat raw foods I weigh the value of the food very carefully because I don't eat that much in comparisan to when I ate cooked foods so just a little of raw chocolate puts me off ballance in my eating. I have found raw chocolate is extreemly unhealthy for my body, it makes me feel wired and makes it so I cannot sleap well. I begin to crave the chocolate in a non healthy way. I just know my limits and strive for better health for my body. I don't think people should misrepresent the chocolate by saying it is a "healthy" food. it tastes good but not healthy and should be stated that way. There are very new people trying out raw and are misleaded into believing raw chocolate is a bennificial item for their diet, I don't think that is fair or right.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 16, 2009 03:35PM

I'm one of those weird people who are unaffected by raw cacao. I rarely have it, but when I do-- often I'll take a package with me on a camping trip-- my only response is intense enjoyment. I love the crunchiness and the unique flavor. (I shared some with a friend awhile back and she said it tasted like twigs!, ha ha.) For some reason caco doesn't make me wired, nor do I notice any kind of change in my heartbeat from it. However, I also don't feel any particular addiction to it. It's something I only eat 2-3 times a year, max. If I'm going to have something 'bad,' it's more likely I'd pick up a package of dried mango or some medjool dates. For me, a little caco once in a long while seems to be fine--- similar to having a nice glass of wine on a special occasion.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Annana ()
Date: May 16, 2009 06:35PM

So what about David Wolfe?

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: May 16, 2009 11:34PM

Because of this thread I bought come cacao nibs today. The don't have a pleasant taste. Do you think grinding them and putting them in a banana smoothie would make it actually taste chocolately? I may have to put it to the test.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Date: May 17, 2009 10:14AM

wendysmiling,
I grind the nibs and add coconut, coconut oil, grind flax seeds, stevia, dates, tiny pinch of salt, pinch of instant coffee, few drops of vanilla.
it tastes ok to me, not great, but stops me from eating bad alternatives, plus it's filling.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: May 17, 2009 02:05PM

COMON BOYS AND GIRLS!

I think it's CRAZY to tell other people to "NOT do that and NOT do this."

I say: Try it! Try the "very extremely humungusly dangerous killingly" raw cacao and make out your own opinion. Indulge in it! YUM!

Now, raw pure cacao taste AWFUL, so it is natural to eat something that tastes AWFUL? Just a Natural Hygene thought here.

Anybody tasted a raw fresh cacao-pod ripened directly from the tree? NOW THAT'S something else (I heard). It's diluted with alot of water, just like raw pears and apple so the negative effect from cacao might not appear then.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 18, 2009 12:37PM

<<Anybody tasted a raw fresh cacao-pod ripened directly from the tree? NOW THAT'S something else (I heard). It's diluted with alot of water, just like raw pears and apple so the negative effect from cacao might not appear then.>>

no i haven't

YET

but its on my list of "Extraordinary Lofty Goals that Are Bound to be Attained"

thanks for the reminder

hey... uhh. if anyone has

let us know your experience

and maybe pics too

i heard it is a custard texture

sounds kinda cool

wonder what it tastes like

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 18, 2009 01:51PM

About the natural taste (non-heat treated), I've heard that without the heat treatment (cooking, roasting, or fermentation), the cacao doesn't have that chocolate taste.

Also, look at the ingredients people have to add to make the cacao taste good: sweeteners and extra fat.

Date: May 18, 2009 02:24PM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, look at the ingredients people have to add
> to make the cacao taste good: sweeteners and extra
> fat.

sorry Bryan I disagree with that argument. By itself I would not eat many of the items in my salad (radish, dandelion, olive oil). But all mixed together, I like olive oil.
I think that as long as your eating greens daily, and not gaining weight, some raw sweeteners and raw fats are perfectly fine. Food should be Fun.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 18, 2009 02:53PM

I rarely hear people (raw fooders) claim that chocolate is necessarily healthy. Most people eat it for enjoyment, not health, and they will continue to do so because their reasons are not health-related. So what? If it doesn't affect you and doesn't kill animals, why worry what other people eat?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 02:53PM by Utopian Life.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 18, 2009 03:05PM

So why is it available on some of these peoples web site at last check then??

Date: May 18, 2009 05:03PM

good question Tanawana smiling smiley i checked and saw a few too , and kinda wonder myself if they are gonna remove those products or continue to sell them smiling smiley

Annana , david wolfe use it and sells it and promotes it because thats what he beleives in. Its up to the individual to decide for themselves like wether or not it is indeed good for you, or is something to use in transition, or something to use as an occaisional treat. or if you really want to have it as a main ingredient in your daily diet smiling smiley

I beleive like Bryan says that ifyou have to add so many things to it to make it palatable , then in my opinion its probably not something you want to use often

Kollie coming from someone (myself) that has alot of past eating disorders, equating food with fun or other emotions treads dangerous grounds , to me food is sustenance , fuel, and energy .. bike riding is fun .. food is the fuel that makes it fun and nothing more. smiling smiley dont get me wrong ,i enjoy food tremendously (sometimes too tremendously lol)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 05:04PM by Jgunn.

Date: May 18, 2009 05:52PM

I don't think that because someone sells an item on their website that they are promoting it as "healthy"; more they realize there's a demand for it, so they offer it.

Date: May 18, 2009 05:54PM

And I, too, don't have any negative effects from chocolate, and I used to eat it almost every day for my first raw year. I mean it - almost every single day. It was no problem to stop eating it. Now I rarely have it, and I'm eating about 5-10% of calories from fat/day.

Date: May 18, 2009 08:04PM

I agree Utopian, to a certain extent because i would be a hypocrite to say that i have never worked/promoted soemthing that i didnt beleive in. I worked in many industries that did many things that i now look back on with a bit of shame and regret being a part of it but on the other hand i also think that if someone says that something is bad for you but continues to sell it than that itself is hypocritical too

I guess you could say i dont agree with it but i certainly cant throw stones from my glass house smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables