Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are Claussen Pickles an ok raw food?
Posted by: kollie ()
Date: May 18, 2009 07:17AM

hi all.
I was going thru my fridge, and was wondering. The jar of claussen pickles says they are not cooked. I realize they have a lot of salt, but for once in a while, would you consider them a raw food?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are Claussen Pickles an ok raw food?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 18, 2009 11:39AM

Don't think 'raw'...think 'unprocessed'. The more unprocessed foods you can eat - the better. If pickles are a good transition food for you - eat em up.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 18, 2009 12:24PM

sure they are okay
if you are okay with hypertension and all smiling smiley

or some gradation of it

hemlock is raw too

but wouldn't make a habit out of eating the cool looking plant

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 18, 2009 03:15PM

You can make your own raw pickles without the added food coloring. They are delish too.

I love the Boutenko's recipe.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 18, 2009 04:46PM

kollie,

If you bought them at a grocery store, they were likely heat processed for bottling and distribution. If they weren't, they must have been incubated in salt to preserve them. If you want to eat them, do, but hydrate well and eat everything else thoroughly fresh and raw that day smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 19, 2009 11:20AM

Heh...heh. Right. Raw pickles would be cucumbers.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 19, 2009 12:44PM

kollie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> for once in a while, would you consider them a raw
> food?

..definitely good "once in a while" -- love pickles

Posted by: EricJohannes ()
Date: May 19, 2009 01:01PM

They have some high fructose corn syrup or whatever that stuff is called. I wouldn't eat them. If you're craving store bought pickles, I'm pretty sure that you can find a brand with less garbage in it. Try Full Circle or make your own.

Date: May 19, 2009 01:33PM

Kollie,
Could you list the ingredients in "Caussen" pickles?

How much sodium per serving? serving size?

Are they organic?

Thanks

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 19, 2009 04:59PM

Do the store bought pickles have an expiration date ? Is it about the same amount of time that fresh cucumbers stay good ?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 19, 2009 06:40PM

i make pickles at home that are amazing (using natural pink mineral salts). check out 'the perfect pickler', it's a little kit for fermenting your own. the pickles stay fine in the fridge for a very long time, they are not treated with any heat at all so they are certainly still raw, and the "processing" or "refining" is so minimal as to be non-existant if you ask me. plus the live culture in ferments is terrific for you, not to mention the incredible taste! i think they qualify as a high-end living food.

Posted by: EricJohannes ()
Date: May 19, 2009 08:54PM

Here's a link to their nutrition "facts" and ingredients. There's definitely better stuff out there. If you crave something raw and fermented I'd go with making your own. There are a ton of vids on youtube with instructions on how to make sauerkraut and ferment anything. A guy named Sandor Katz is big on spreading the fermentation word. It's ridiculously easy and does have its benefits. I do suspect I'd get some disagreement about that from the real hardcore raw foodists, but hey, if that's as bad as you get when it comes to junk food, you're doing pretty good.

[www.dietfacts.com]

Date: May 21, 2009 12:30PM

Thanks, Eric, for the link to Claussen label info.

..so for Claussen Kosher Dill Wholes the ingredients are

Fresh cucumbers, water, distilled vinegar, salt, contains less than 2% of high fructose corn syrup, dried garlic, spices, calcium chloride, sodium benzoate (to preserve flavor), dried red peppers, natural flavors, polysorbate 80.

..the cucumbers might be raw but some of the other ingredients, like high fructose corn syrup are not, so it is not strictly an "ok raw food".

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 11, 2009 07:11PM

when they start listing things like "natural flavors" is when my eyebrows start to furrow. And that's a shame because I'm no where near raw but I see it as a goal that I'd like to achieve some day. I eat Claussen pickles all the time. In fact I'm munching on one right now. But I'm starting to realize that making my own with organic raw ingredients may be even better. I'm going to give the recipe a go.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 11, 2009 07:25PM

bin em

if you enjoy pickles, whip up your own smiling smiley

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 12, 2009 12:07AM

That "Perfect Pickler" looks so cute and EASY !!! I LOVE pickles and have missed them in my raw diet, so this makes me all excited to start pickling-away !!!!! Thanks so much for that wonderful information!! =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 12, 2009 03:42AM

Cucumbers are great with a little lemon juice on them. smiling smiley

(just a reminder)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables