Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

100% raw & high fat
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: July 26, 2006 08:50PM

I've been (almost)100% organic raw for about 2 mths now! I know the body can only digest 2 teaspoons of fat an hour. I eat lots of sprouted nuts, tahini, avocados & fresh young coconut. I eat alot of fat everyday. Can someone please address this and tell me what data supports being able to eat this much fat a day.

I also eat lots of veggies, fruit and sprouted chick peas. I recently added organic raw skim milk by Organic Pastures, because my hair started to fall out after only 2 weeks of going 100% raw vegan. I also just started taking a high quality multi vitamin/mineral daily for. I know b12 and biotin are important. Sorry for hopping on a lot of bunny trails. I feel great though, now that I've added the raw milk & supplements.

Thanks for your help fellow raw folks! I happy to be a part of this group! = )

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 100% raw & high fat
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 26, 2006 09:28PM

Congratulations on being raw!

I'm not sure, but I think the sprouted nuts are not so high in fat as unsprouted nuts. Same with the sprouted chick peas.

You might find it helpful to go to www.nutritiondata.com and check on the foods you eat to see how much of the essential nutrients you are getting. Besides being able to check out the individual food for each essential nutrient, you can go to the pantry (click "pantry" in the tool bar at the top of the home page), and there you can enter all the foods you ate that day (and the quantity). You will get a total percent of the recommended daily allowance for all the essential nutrients of your foods (Unfortunately though I think some of the sprouted foods are not available on the site).

Maybe you will be able to pick up something there on why you were losing your hair!

It's possible you may be getting too much of some things, and over time, that could put a strain on your system. Also, too much protein can negatively affect your body's ability to retain calcium. And you may find that even without the skim milk and the multivitamin, you are already getting more than enough of the most of the essential vitamins and minerals, and if not, you may be able to add some raw vegan foods (instead of the skim milk) to make up the difference, and still keep all your hair. In my opinion the B12 is helpful.

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2006 09:36PM by Ally.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 26, 2006 11:18PM

"I know the body can only digest 2 teaspoons of fat an hour."

You do? I've never heard of that one.

Date: July 27, 2006 01:09AM

I forgot to mention that I'm female, 38, and have never had a hair loss problem before. My hairdresser always says "my goodness you have thick hair". I was a Vegatarian for 15 yrs before going raw vegan. About 2 weeks after starting to eat raw foods, my hair started falling out all over the place...all over me, the bathroom counter, floor, my clothes... I was so bummed because I love vegan raw foods! I can live without dairy & eggs because vegan food is so delicous! I love animals! But I love my hair too! And when I added the raw milk, I swear, within days my hair loss slowed down and within a week it now has almost stopped falling out. I bought my vit/min supplement a few days ago, hoping that the b12 & other nutrients would help too.

I hope no one is offended by the dairy. As I said, I love vegan food and could easily go 100% vegan if it wasn't for my hairloss. Plus, I need to mention that I felt weak, even with lots of sprouted chick, nuts and seeds.

Thanks for your helpful advise & comments and God bless!

Date: July 27, 2006 01:13AM

Vegetarian/ typo = )

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 27, 2006 02:09AM

Rawrr,

I love your name! You might want to check your multivitamin and see if it contains B12. If it does, you probably don't need an additional B12 supplement. Check that with your doctor.

No worries about where you're at with the dairy. A good book on the anti-dairy side though is "Diet for a New America", by John Robbins, heir to the Baskin-Robbins ice cream chain.

For myself, I sure don't blame you for not wanting to lose your hair!

Best Wishes, -Ally

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2006 02:12AM by Ally.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: July 27, 2006 02:19AM

Hey Rawrrr!,

Congrats on going raw. Sprouted raw chickpeas are toxic (see below). Everything else in your diet sounds great.

Cheers,

learningtofly

"Although legumes are an important staple for millions of people, several toxic substances occur in kidney beans, garbanzo beans, peas, lentils, among others. They can all be rendered harmless by soaking and vigorous boiling. Phytic acid is also found in such foods as legumes, seeds, and grains. Phytic acid, or inositol hexaphosphate, is a form of inositol, considered by many to be a B vitamin but has the tendency to bind minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc preventing their absorption in the body. Thus in order to prevent this from happening, such foods must have this substance deactivated through leavening, baking, or sprouting. These are the reasons that legumes should never be eaten raw."

(from [www.innvista.com])

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 28, 2006 04:15AM

life is toxic winking smiley

I think sprouted beans are fine once in awhile as long you make sure they don't get moldy.

Raw goat cheese is alkalyne. If it helps you I certainly don't judge you for it.

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: July 28, 2006 11:05PM

That's good news about the raw dairy helping stop the hair loss. I've seen quite a few posts on another site about the hair loss, but no real "cures". I use evening primrose caps, and that helped a bit, but my particular problem is due to medication for my thyroid. What a hassle!

Anyway, about the fat, there's a few different opinions about that on the boards, too.

Personally, after trying the 8/1/1 and not doing well on it AT ALL, I'm happy to stick to my vague outline of 60% carbs, 25% fat, 15% protein, since it seems to work for me. Of course, this varies depending on whether or not I get a stash of avocados, or coconuts, but for the most part this seems to be a good target for me.

I ususally adjust the protein with hemp seeds, YUMMIE! and I keep high values of magnesium, selenium (<--- one brazil nut daily), and potassium (<--- impossible not to, IMHO) and it is working pretty well.

Of course, I constantly fiddle with it, just can't help myself, I love to fix what's not broken in my diet...

But so far, I keep coming back to this ratio set and feel pretty good.

Good luck with your raw journey!

Posted by: ShineON ()
Date: July 29, 2006 04:14PM

You know, as far as the sprouted beans being toxic, that's just really bad news to me.. I just got into sprouting beans, and found it enjoyable, and filling.. Sucks.. There is so many things that are bad for you out there.. You know I'm sure you can find something bad about everything we put into our bodies..

But wait, doesn't the quote you wrote (i'm a poet), state that sprouting can make it okay to eat legumes?

"Thus in order to prevent this from happening, such foods must have this substance deactivated through leavening, baking, or sprouting. These are the reasons that legumes should never be eaten raw."

Jeff

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: July 29, 2006 04:27PM

Hi Jeff,

Sprouted legumes (raw) are controverial. Some say sprouting makes them safe to eat, however I think that article was saying they must be sprouted THEN COOKED to be safe to eat. For example, the Weston Price group believes that grains must be fermented before you cook them.

The thing to realize is that if you are transitioning, even sprouted legumes are better than cooked food. I only mentioned the toxicity because Rawrrr! mentioned hair loss issues.

Cheers,

LTF

Posted by: ShineON ()
Date: July 29, 2006 10:33PM

Gotcha.. Even transitioning, it's hard to consciously put something in your body that is labeled "toxic". You know? I don't eat alot of fruit, it makes me spacey. So I'm just coming to the realization of the limitations of my acceptable food inventory. It's tough, but not impossible..

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables