Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Typical Raw Diets
Posted by: Ananas comosus ()
Date: May 20, 2009 05:28PM

Hey all, I just joined the forum and made an introduction so this is my first query.

I'd like to see a few examples of what a typical raw diet is. Such as, what you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I've seen a few examples searching through older threads.

Thanks in advance. I am grateful that this community exists!

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Typical Raw Diets
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: May 20, 2009 05:46PM

You can read why I eat in the "Raw Weight Loss" thread.
Welcome!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 05:46PM by wendysmiling.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 20, 2009 07:19PM

Hi there! I don't eat at certain times or label my meals as "breakfast" usually, unless prompted, where I will state, "Oh, that's my third breakfast!" winking smiley

Daily:
12-15 bananas (either room temperature or frozen and made into a banana whip)
1 c.-3 c. blueberries (love them and their nutritional value)
1 c.-2 c. strawberries or raspberries
Various other fruit, including mangoes, cantelope, papaya, pineapple, apples, pears
Maybe a green smoothie if I want one
Green juice with cucumber, celery, kale, spinach, parsley, cilantro, carrot, chard, collards
Dates (5-20, whatever I want)
Maybe some zucchini or cucumber noodles with fresh & sun-dried tomato sauce (no oil or fat)
Salad greens with mixed greens or spinach, cucumber, tomato, no dressing
1-6 c. mixed sprouts (no grains or wheat)

That's typical. Maybe one day per week I'll have some avocado or other concentrated/added fat.
I eat about 3,000-3,500 calories per day.

In my experience, eating high fruit and high greens, some sprouts, lower in fat (limited nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut, oils, etc.) is the best, as fruit will give you the energy you need to function while still feeling light and healthy as ever!

Date: May 20, 2009 07:25PM

Today so far I have had:

Banana whip with 4 bananas and 1 c. blueberries
a whole cantelope
Banana whip with 4 bananas and 1 c. blueberries
Banana whip(s) with 8 bananas, 2 small champagne mangoes, 1 c. raspberries
zucchini noodles (two whole zucchini) with sun-dried tomato & fresh tomato sauce (with parsley and basil, lemon juice, red bell pepper)

I will probably do a green juice later and more fruit if I want it, or a salad, too.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 21, 2009 02:12PM

I eat much more liberally than the previous two comments. I usually start my day with some green juice (romaine lettuce, kale, apple, and lemon) or a green smoothie with lots of fruit and some kale. Then I'll eat fruit throughout the morning and afternoon. I usually have some sort of salad for lunch or just continue eating fruit. I usually am trying recipes, since I am an aspiring raw food chef and entrepreneur with a website for easy raw recipes (rawfoodpunk.com) So I have some sort of raw entree creation for dinner, usually involving raw veggies, but sometimes also nuts and seeds. Every so often I will also eat some brown rice and steamed veggies or a veggie sandwich on sprouted grain bread. I usually have a little bit of at least 70% cocoa content chocolate everyday too!

Date: May 21, 2009 10:14PM

I am a brand new raw food eater. Doctor recommended for weight loss and overall health. I am used to calorie counting so right away counted the calories of what I was told was an average days consumption. Good heavens calories everywhere I was quite shocked. Is it really possible I could lose weight on this much food this many calories if I am 100% raw food. Need re-assurance or the truth.

Date: May 21, 2009 10:24PM

Where are teh bulk of your calories coming from? If it's fruit, you're fine. If the bulk of the calories come from high-fat foods, like nuts, seeds, oils, avocados, coconuts, olives, then you will probably still lose weight, but you might not lose all that you want and you might not function optimally.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 22, 2009 04:10AM

or you might gain weight. I certainly keep high fat foods to a minimum.

100% raw in the way that Utopian eats will have you shedding those pounds and feeling great but if you add SAD food into that mix then you most likely won't lose weight.

Posted by: joewood ()
Date: May 22, 2009 05:30AM

Hi,

Very true Flipper. When i eat 90% raw or vegan, I lose weight. As soon as I add SAD to the mix (pizza, junk foods, philly soft pretzels), I can feel the difference in my body & my energy level.

My raw foods are mostly mono meals such as raw corn on cob, green smoothies & salads. I also eat various fruits like bananas, plums, apples, pears & watermelon. I buy as much organic as possible.

Joe

Love is patient, love is kind, it is not self-seeking, love ALWAYS protects,always endures. (1corinthians 13)

God IS love!! (1john4)
Jesus Christ...... The ONLY way to Heaven.
I am the Way, the Truth & the Life..(John 14:6)

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: May 22, 2009 06:57AM

Hi Mike

This page from my website might help. The page in general gives lots of ideas as to what raw fooders might eat, and right at the bottom I describe my own raw food diet, which is fairly simple - fruit/leaves-based.

[www.rawforlife.co.uk]

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: May 22, 2009 04:30PM

The problem when discussing typical raw diets is that there are essentially two main camps:

1) Eat anything as long as it isn't cooked (usually high fat).

2) Low fat. In other words high fruit, or 80/10/10.

I am of the belief that the later is the superior diet to which human beings are physiologically designed for, but making such a statement only opens up a can of worms, so I'll be humble and allow for all input on this one.

Either way, they are both raw, and should both be pretty healthy I guess.

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: May 22, 2009 09:45PM

Breakfast: Green Juice
Lunch: Mono-Fruit or smoothie
Dinner: Salad w. a handful of nuts or seeds

Be careful of overeating nuts and seeds.
It is better to eat some cooked veggies and sprouted grains to transition than to overeat nuts and seeds.

That was my big mistake when I went raw.
Gentle transition is key to detoxing.
Going raw overnight from a mainstream diet is not successful in my experience and opinion.
Also colonics are key. Otherwise you are "crossing the street half way" putting good stuff in and not getting years of accumulated acidic waste and mucus out.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 22, 2009 09:51PM

I usually have my biggest meal in the morning, after yoga. I have lots of fruits, starting with several small (but fat) apple bananas, a cucumber, some citrus and whatever else is available (currently lychee), plus a half avocado and/or 1/4 cup nuts or seeds (depending on how hungry I am and how much physical work I'm planning to do).

Later in the day - usually around 2:00 - 4:00, I'll have my second (and last) "meal". It's usually more fruits and 1/4 - 1/2 cup nuts or seeds. 2 or 3 times a week I have greens and seaweed for my second meal, and a half avocado instead of nuts/seeds. If I'm hungry between meals, I'll eat more fruit (I love to graze around our farm). I eat more fruits on days when I don't eat greens. It comes out to 20% fat or less every day.

I do a 36-hour water fast once or twice a week.

I eat all my fruits and nuts/seeds whole, without blending or juicing. I don't eat nut butters.

Sometimes I chop up avocado and cucumber and add a little lemon juice. That's as fancy as I get with fruits. On days when I eat greens, I might add a little fresh seaweed to that mix, and/or I will eat raw nori rolls filled with greens and some avocado, or a salad with a half avocado and lemon juice for dressing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2009 10:01PM by suncloud.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: May 23, 2009 05:55PM

Breakfast..melon

Lunch....big salad with nuts and seeds.

Dinner...more salad with sprouts.

Thats it.

Oh,about 1 gallon of water a day too.

Posted by: Ananas comosus ()
Date: May 24, 2009 03:10AM

Thank you all. I love hearing what you all are eating. I've actually become quite comfortable with this diet. It's been 4 days. I've been doing mostly fruit. On friday, I ate 6 pounds of fruit. 4 lbs of bananas early in the day. In the evening, 2 pounds of organic apples plus water. Today I ate one of those Raw Revolution bars and 4 mangoes plus water.

I doubt that was enough calories for the day, though.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 24, 2009 03:29AM

wendysmiling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can read why I eat in the "Raw Weight Loss"
> thread.
Wendy....I'd like to know Why you eat. I'm more of
a Liquidarian.....WY

Posted by: zella ()
Date: June 11, 2009 05:33PM

Bananas galore eh? I was like that with Avocados when I first started. Then I learned how to make raw pizza and I ate that for a month with avocado slices on it of course.

What appliances do you have? Food Processor? Juicer? High Speed Blender?

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 12, 2009 12:07PM

Would just to like to say that my website page probably gives the impression that I'm a goody two-shoes re my diet. Well, I am sometimes, but...

today I started off well (orange juice, and a small cantaloupe melon),

then had a (most enjoyable) fat splurge with:

a banana, apricot and almond butter smoothie

and rather a lot of brazil nuts! (raw brazils from keimling.co.uk)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2009 12:08PM by debbietook.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 12, 2009 01:45PM

I usually update what I have on my blog everyday

when I first went raw I ate a LOT..could easily eat several kg of fruit no problem. Now I eat a lot less

avo every couple days

fruit

thats about it.. very simple!

today have had

handfull cherry tomatoes
Strawberries- 10 or so

navel orange

I train twice daily

All the best to you smiling smiley

Date: June 12, 2009 04:04PM

wendysmiling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can read why I eat in the "Raw Weight Loss"
> thread.
> Welcome!

Where is the Raw Weight Loss thread please? Thank you.smiling smiley

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: June 15, 2009 02:05AM

I'd like to suggest that you be sure to include lots of green leafy veggies. They are very important for minerals, protein, and other nutrients.

I generally have a quart of Green Smoothie every day -- 40% greens, 60% fruit, blended with water. Throwing a half a lemon in there helps with mineral absorption.

I also will, occasionally, have a quart of Celery/Carrot/Apple juice.

I do like to make dehydrated crackers, so we might have a 'sandwich' of a pile of garden greens on a cracker, with raw 'mayo', some sliced tomato, and avocado. If I don't have any crackers, I'll wrap the tomato, greens, and avocado in a collard green leaf! Feeling fancy, I might wrap them in a sheet of raw Nori.

Snacks are usually any fresh fruit in season. Right now, I'm pigging out on cherries. I also have a true grape fetish. As long as I am downing a good amount of greens, I don't put much limit on my fruit intake! smiling smiley

I'm sort of in-between on the various types of Raw Diets... Not as high fat as some, and not 80-10-10. The longer I eat this way, the more I'm learning to listen to what my body is hungry for. I started very high fat -- lots of fancy raw recipes, lots of nuts, lots and lots of fat (whew!!)... the quarts of Olive Oil we went through, for instance, is positively astounding!

In all that, I have dropped 45 pounds since January.

Pick good things to add to your daily 'diet'... for me, it was Green Smoothies (aka Victoria Boutenko). They gave me a foundation of good nutrition to put everything else on.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables