Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vitamin B12 and fermented products
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: May 21, 2009 02:05PM

HIYA!

Yeah yeah ... another post about B12. But I have an idea here. At the temple where I live people make various fermented products. A miso - like paste, I think we make soy sauce, and of course there's kimchi.

Anyway, a few days ago I looked inside one of the enormous clay jars where the stuff sits and ferments. I noticed dead insects in the jar. It has occured to me in the past when I've seen dead insects in there that maybe this is the source of vitamin B12 that people claim you can get from fermented products.

I've read more than a few times that tests have been done again and again showing no B12 in such fermented products. That could very well be that the fermentation process of such tested fermented foods is done "clean", "hygenic" surroundings. These jars sit outside and when the covers are opened, who knows what goes into the jar.

So, there you have it. Maybe this can help clear things up.

I've got a couple of other posts to write so I'll get to them now.

Troy.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vitamin B12 and fermented products
Posted by: EricJohannes ()
Date: May 22, 2009 12:24AM

I don't know anything about the B12 question but that's an excellent point about bugs and their attraction to fermented foods.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables