Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tell me something.
Posted by: Natsroses ()
Date: May 27, 2009 03:31AM

What one thing/moment help you make the switch to 100% raw/vegan or high raw/vegan. Apart from a month about a year ago, I haven't been able to be 100% raw vegan. I have all the theory of why I should in my head and I wake up everyday with the intention and the "wanting" to take that step, but as the day or week comes to an end I'm back to where I began.

So, what was the "it" moment for you? What inspired you? Was it just making the decision and that's it? Tell me your "moment" story.

Much love,
Nathalie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tell me something.
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 27, 2009 04:24AM

100% Raw Organic Vegan Diet...."It" was the 'Organic'
stipulation that made the difference for me. If it's not Organic,
I don't eat it...period!!
If you allow non-organic foods into your Diet, other foods that
shouldn't be there begin to creep in.....WY

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 27, 2009 04:25AM

As the years passes I was getting fatter and less healthy. I finally reached the point where I wanted changes when I had to get new pants again because of an ever expanding waist. I looked around and found raw and that was the start of what to me has been an amazing and worthwhile journey.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 27, 2009 06:27AM

I did it in stages. First I let go of wheat and sugar. THen I let go of meat. Then fish. Then dairy. THen all grains. Then oils and dressings. Then Laerabars. Then dried fruit. Bit by bit worked better for me rather than jumping in 100 percent. Each of the goals seemed attainable and it got easier on every step.

It took over 2 years so far, by the way. Now I am at high raw vegan, no condiments, low fat. (Your specific scenario may of course be different, thats just me) I can attest to the addictive quality of some of the above items (epecially grains and dairy), and I found it easier to take things slow. Been totally worth it

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 27, 2009 11:14AM

When I look at my skin and see clearer skin than I ever thought I would have.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: May 27, 2009 02:01PM

I havent reached 100% raw yet,but what motivates me is continual bouts of depression,arthritis,and being too heavy.

That combo ought to make me do the full switch...................someday.

Vinny

Date: May 27, 2009 02:11PM

Thanks for all your inputs. I am mostly vegan (if there is such a thing), but sometimes I'll pass by the kids or husband and by habit just grab a bite of the pizza they just ordered, or I'll succumb to a piece of chocolate.

I feel inspired by other people and their journeys.

Wheatgrass- That's a good way to look at it, I eat at least 90% organic, when I don't it's when I eat out (not the best food found at restaurants) or eat something that's not very healthy. So it's a good principle to start off with. Thanks for the idea.

EZ- I hear you, when I went raw those few months last year I lost 25 pounds effortlessly. I have lately (the last few months) put some of them back on by not being conscious of what I eat or even at times not caring of what I eat. Lack of excercise has been a factor too. My eating and exercise seem to go hand in hand.

Cocoa nibs - I've made my change in stages too, first whole foods, then vegetarian, then raw and then vegan. I just seem to fall off that darn wagon quite a bit! smiling smiley

Utopian: yes, that would be a huge motivator for me, clear skin. I do remember how nice I looked when I was fairly committed. My husband would comment on how young I looked. I will use the clear skin as my motivator today!

Thanks guys & gals!

Nathalie

Date: May 27, 2009 02:26PM

There are plenty of vegan and even raw chocolates available. Contrary to popular belief, cacao comes from a bean, not a cow's milk. smiling smiley

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: May 27, 2009 04:53PM

WY--- "If you allow non-organic foods into your Diet, other foods that
shouldn't be there begin to creep in"

That's not accurate. I've been eating mostly non-organic(about 70%) for 3 years. No creepage here. lol

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 27, 2009 06:29PM

brian1cs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's not accurate. I've been eating mostly
> non-organic(about 70%) for 3 years. No creepage
> here. lol
That's Great!! As for me, I had to draw-the-line,
and say "This far and no further".
Whatever works for you.....WY

Date: May 27, 2009 07:43PM

Natsroses

I just seem to fall off that darn wagon quite a bit!

I was like that too. I would yield to temptation and have a bite.
I have realized that I only have two directions:
going toward ---> more raw % or
going toward more cooked % <---
There dosn't seem to be a hold position for me so I learned to avoid that first bite of temptation. Since last summer when I realized that the first temptation was wimpy weak compared to the inevitable follow on temptations I havn't had a first bite of temptation and have been cruising along at ALL fresh raw since. smiling smiley

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: May 27, 2009 10:40PM

Natsroses ¨- about staying raw. I don't know for other people here but as for me I always told myself the following at meal time : First I'm gonna eat raw (a lot of very nice and tasty raw foods) and after that if I'm still hungry I will eat some cooked. By the time I'm finished eating all the raw dishes, I'm not hungry anymore and not tempted. That little trick worked so well for me that I'm at my 5th month 100% raw.

Good luck!

Date: May 27, 2009 10:59PM

cynthia -- I like that strategy and if I ever "slip" again I will use it to get back on track. Thanks for that smiling smiley

Date: May 28, 2009 01:37PM

Thanks again everyone, I am feeling more motivated already.

Cynthia, that's also a good strategy ... and you are right once I'm full with raw yummy stuff I "shouldnt" want any of the cooked crappy stuff right? smiling smiley
Congrats on being 5 month raw, that's awesome!!

I wish I could :uncook: better, I'm Latina and love all the salty flavors in food, I know that eating plain nice fruit & veggies is the way to go, but I think having a few interesting dishes once in a while would make the transition easier. I have many raw recipe books, but boy, I tell ya, I manage to screw up all the recipes! It's weird, I used to cook pretty good when I was not raw. lol

Thanks again, for your stories and feedback.

Nathalie

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: May 28, 2009 05:18PM

I used to wake up everyday intending to eat a certain way and would cave before the day was over. It was horribly upsetting. I did it for years. I didn't really have a high raw "lightbulb" moment. I started with fruit smoothies the beginning of May because cooked food made me so sick. After a couple weeks of smoothies I tried eating some whole pieces of fruit and didn't get sick, then I tried some nuts. Again, I didn't get sick. The last 2 weeks I have added in veggies which was pretty scary because they made me so sick when I was cooking them.

My body just transitioned itself and I just didn't want the candy or the baked or cooked stuff. For the first time in 30 years I didn't have to "try" to make it work. For whatever reason this happened, I'm very grateful.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 31, 2009 02:23AM

Myself, going raw, vegan, and organic had been on mind for years. I have some pretty serious heart problems, and just decided it was time to do it. Within 2 weeks my heart rate had dropped, 2 weeks later, for the first time in 20 years my cardiologist lowered my medication. I have thought about cheating, everytime i see a McDonalds commercial, but I just dont want to mess this up.

Date: May 31, 2009 06:09PM

Tomaj, think of your body and nutrition when you eat; NOT emotions. Let the emotions go and take care of those another way, such as meditation. smiling smiley

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: May 31, 2009 08:28PM

I read Victoria Boutenko's book, Green for Life.

I'd flirted with raw for a few years. But until I read that, I never really put down the cooked vegan food and TRIED it seriously.

I've been mostly raw (100% most days, 90% a few days, about 25% SAD for a week) since the beginning of February. I've dropped/released 40 pounds, and I look better smiling smiley

I do have days when I want to order pizza (vegetarian without cheese, of course), but generally, I'm pretty happy being raw.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Posted by: ROIRRAW ()
Date: June 01, 2009 08:20AM

I was surprised how easily it happened for me. About 2 years ago I felt I couldn't eat meat or fish any longer because of cruelty issues and after a year as a vegetarian I just felt this was the next step. I thought it would be a lot more difficult that it has been though. I just woke up dec 29th, went to the fruit shop and bought a huge box of fruit and thats been it! 5 months later and I'm still 100% with no lapses. What did serve me in the early days was eating salted pistachio nuts which seems to awnser any cooked food cravings.They have been replaced with 'proper' nuts now!

My benefits have been many. Very clear and bright skin. My body has changed so much.I've become so lean and muscular which has very much surprised me. I also love eating and can munch my way through the day without getting overweight! Lots more energy. Feel very satisfied after eating and not sluggish. Just go for it again and come on here when you feel like lapsing to get support BUT DON'T GIVE UP. and start associating more pain with cooked and pleasure with raw. Like think if you were old and how important PERFECT health is so you don't get carted off somewhere and can stay independent! Think perfect skin,etc.. Think of something cooked you want when you get a smell etc.. and make a picture of something horrid in your mind with it. I have to walk past a chipper most days and get all the smells of italian chips etc..wafting out at me and I make pictures of dog-doo in my mind as the chips! THat elimates any craving pretty quickly! Best of luck though this time but basically don't give up.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 02, 2009 06:51PM

watching my body deteriorate rapidly as i got closer to 40 and realizing that somethings had to change or i was looking at another half century of pain and misery ahead of me smiling smiley

being in a position where everything wrong with me was reversable with hard work and determination and not being willing to just let myself go to all the bad habits and negativity that surrounded me.

feeling good feels so much better smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 06:53PM by Jgunn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables