Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Essential oils
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: July 27, 2006 02:25PM

Do you use essential oils in your food?

I thought it might be a nice way of pepping up my smoothies.
Gabe Cousens has recipes, but I'm more interested in use for smoothies and soups, and if essential oils have a high nutrition or medicinal profile.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Essential oils
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: July 27, 2006 11:13PM

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "Essential oils", but I'm thinking they are things like hemp seed oil and flax seed oil. I've pretty much replaced all the oil I use with hempseed oil. I don't put oil in my smoothies, but I sometimes put a spoon full of flax seeds in them.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 27, 2006 11:36PM

If you are talking about hemp and flax, I put flax in mine, but I don't put it in until the very end and just stir it in with a spoon, those oils are damaged easily by heat, my guess even the little bit of heat generated by the blender would not be good for them.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: July 28, 2006 03:04PM

i mean essential oils like rosemary, oregano etc, that are used in aromatherapy.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: July 28, 2006 08:37PM

I don't think that most essential oils processed for aromatherapy are food grade. I have quite a collection of essential oils that I use for salt scrubs and mineral baths including rosemary and oregano, but I wouldn't use them for food.

Most essential oil products will say on the label whether it can be ingested or not. All of mine say NOT.

~Kathleen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables