Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

avocados
Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: June 01, 2009 12:22AM

i have noticed in no specific thread or person,

in the last few years of reading all things raw/fruitarian...

that some people find avocados to be a staple in their diet...

while others are so adamantly against avocados.

i wonder why?

for me, i am thinking of adding one daily avo to my diet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: avocados
Posted by: scottiethomas ()
Date: June 01, 2009 12:33AM

i am with you. i eat one a day.

i love them.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 01, 2009 01:26AM

I average about two regular sized avo's per day because I know that some fat is good for the body and IMO the avo is the best fat there is. Occasionally I will just eat the avo by itself but usually I use it as part of a wrap or salad dressing ingredient. I have been incorporating avo in my diet since I first went all fresh raw on Aug 1, 07 and Have lost about 70 pound so far and I am now lean and trim and enjoying my avocados. smiling smiley

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: June 01, 2009 02:48AM

i love avocados and eat them regularly. they are filling, a great transition food, if not a keeper for the long run. i either make guacamole, or my preferred method, i just cut them in half, add a sprinkle of cayenne, and scoop it out with a spoon using the tough skin as my bowl. mmm yum!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 01, 2009 03:22AM

Me too. One a day. I usually either eat it like it is, or mix it with chopped cucumber, paprika, ground raspberry seed, nori, and lemon juice (my favorite breakfast). smiling smiley

Posted by: joewood ()
Date: June 01, 2009 03:43AM

Hi All,

I didn't like the taste of avocado but since it was the 1st & only one I've ever had, I guess another try is needed. Should the skin be firm? Mine was a little on the soft side.

Thanks........
Joe

Love is patient, love is kind, it is not self-seeking, love ALWAYS protects,always endures. (1corinthians 13)

God IS love!! (1john4)
Jesus Christ...... The ONLY way to Heaven.
I am the Way, the Truth & the Life..(John 14:6)

Date: June 01, 2009 04:41AM

there are different varieties of avocados. the hass variety have a firmer skin, although sometimes they can be on the thinner side. however, any type you choose should yield gently to the touch when ripe. too soft and they may have gone a little too far and are rancid.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 01, 2009 05:01AM

pineapple girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> for me, i am thinking of adding one daily avo to
> my diet.
The problem with eating one Avocado a day (or any
Fat in general) is that it soon leads to two, then three, and
before you know it, you're out of control. However, I know someone
who can eat 1/4 of an Avocado, and has no problem. It all depends
where you are in your Journey....WY

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 01, 2009 05:15AM

I think one a week or so is good, but I don't want to eat them every day. I love the taste!

Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: June 01, 2009 06:28AM

I used to eat a lot of avocados, Fuerte were my favorite. I don't eat them anymore because I found that my health steadily improved without them.

In the beginning of eating raw I would eat up to 5 avocados a day. Later I reduced that to a half or 1 per day, and then to one or two a week.

I still love the taste, but zero works best now, I notice significant improvements with cutting out even that one per week. There are lots of other fruits and vegetables I love just as much so it's not a hardship and the benefits for me are very well worth it.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: June 01, 2009 08:41AM

DOghouse, what improvements do you notice without the avocadoes?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 01, 2009 11:10AM

I've done both: lots of avocados 6-12 small ones per day....or very little/none. I think people's system varies, but I feel the expense and fat warrant that these not be a primary and daily source of calories....but that a small amount should be fine.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: June 01, 2009 12:58PM

I love em.
Good fats abound,especially for joint health.

Vinny

Date: June 01, 2009 01:17PM

for me, anything in excess doesn't work. if i eat avocados everyday, even just a small one, i get tired of them and don't feel all that great. i might have one or a half of one a few times a week, or go a week or two really not wanting one. it's the same with nuts. for me, it's not that one will lead to more and more, or a few nuts or seeds will lead to way too many handfuls. i guess as far as these heavier fattier foods go, fortunatley my body just doesn't let that happen. however, give me a salty, crunchy bite of something, and then i'm in the trap of one little bit leading to way too much! i agree with whoever said different people's systems vary.

Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: June 01, 2009 06:24PM

cocoa_nibs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DOghouse, what improvements do you notice without
> the avocadoes?

A healthier glow to my skin, more consistent, reliable and stable high energy, better oxygenation (i.e, greater lung capacity.)

Also some more subtle improvements,slightly increased mental acuity, better "intuition" in the sense that I'm better able to assess and analyze situations quickly.

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: June 01, 2009 06:45PM

IMO, avocados are a great transitional food. I've heard of lots of new raw foodies that eat massive amounts of avocados (2 to 6 per day) at first, then, as they get more comfortable with being raw, and the light feeling it gives (not that heavy, tummy full all the time feeling that SAD gives), the desire/need for the heavy, fatty avocados diminishes.

We are all a work in progress. Personally, I love avocados. I may have 3 or 4 a week now, instead of 2 a day. Some weeks, I may not have any, depending on what else I'm eating. It's about the same with dehydrated foods, sun-dried fruit, etc. They were a great help at first, and I still lean a little heavy on them, but I'm seeing the change already. smiling smiley

I do think that a balance of greens, fruit, and fats are necessary. If not avocados, then seeds, nuts, or oils.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 01, 2009 10:05PM

Each of us is somewhat different. Good thing!

I think when it comes to determining what foods we should or should not eat, what counts most is whether we feel good, whether we can maintain feeling good, and what kind of footprint we leave on our environment.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 02, 2009 06:37PM

yep indeed good thing smiling smiley

i vary i seem to really dig more avos in the winter than i do in summer .. but there is alot more available fresh local produce , so i dont think its a coincidence that i dont eat them that much in the summer , there is just more other stuff to eat grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables