Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
100 year old vegan reveals secrets of longevity
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 02, 2015 03:32AM

[www.foxnews.com]

100-year-old surgeon, WWII vet who retired at age 95 shares secrets to longevity

Today, being a surgeon is like being a commercial airline pilot: One must complete hundreds of hours of educational training before flying solo with human lives in his or her hands. But back in 100-year-old Dr. Ellsworth Wareham’s day, surgeons studied diagrams and simulated human procedures on dogs before operating on a patient by themselves.

Wareham, of Loma Linda, Calif., was one of the earliest doctors to practice open heart surgery in the United States, and the first at Loma Linda University, whose cardiothoracic surgery program has been ranked among the top heart hospitals in the United States.

“You know how people will say they had ‘their call’ to something? I felt that I was actually called to be a doctor,” Wareham told FoxNews.com. “There had never been any question in my mind about this."

Throughout his lifetime, Wareham has garnered as much attention for his career as a surgeon as he has for his longevity. At the age of 100, Wareham still does all of his own yard work and climbs up and down the stairs in his two-story home.

Maintaining his good health has no doubt been made easier due to the ideals of Wareham’s religion and community. Loma Linda has one of the highest concentrations of Seventh-Day Adventists in the world, and living a healthy lifestyle is the faith’s main ideal. The town has banned smoking, and alcohol is scarcely sold. As a result, Loma Linda is the only so-called “Blue Zone” of the U.S., an area where men and women live measurably longer lives than the average American.

Wareham himself adopted a vegan diet in midlife after reading research that showed animal protein raises cholesterol. He credits his good health— and his clearness of mind, the thing he’s most grateful for today— in large part to that decision.

Although he retired from operating in the surgical unit at Loma Linda University at age 74, Wareham mentored and assisted residents at the university until age 95.

Inspiration at sea

Wareham served in World War II as a U.S. Navy doctor, and one day on a destroyer near the Philippines, his captain became injured after falling off the boat. Despite Wareham’s insistence to immediately operate on the man— who had a ruptured discus and a rigid abdomen— surgeons delayed the procedure, which eventually led to his captain’s death from an abdominal infection.

The issue of unqualified doctors wasn’t a problem exclusive to the Navy, Wareham pointed out. The American Board of Surgery, which certifies doctors and the institutions where they train, was not formed until 1937, and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery was formed in 1948.

Still, Wareham said, his captain’s death compelled him to want to make a difference.

“I decided then that I would become a well-qualified surgeon,” Wareham said.

Open-heart surgery was also only hypothetical when Wareham left the Navy in 1947. The procedure that is thought to be the first in the world wouldn’t be completed until 1953, when Dr. John H. Gibbons, of the Jefferson University Medical Center in Philadelphia, used a heart-lung machine to close a large secundum atrial septal defect (ASD) in an 18-year-old woman. An ASD is a hole in the septum, or muscular wall, that separates the heart’s two upper chambers, called the atria, according to the Cleveland Clinic. The condition occurs when part of the atrial septum does not form properly.

The year of the operation, Wareham had been a senior surgery resident in New York. “I said to myself, that is the future of surgery, and I should get some training in it,” Wareham said.

Wareham’s mentors advised him to study chest surgery before he concluded his graduate program. The training involved operating on the chest and the chest wall— a method that preceded open heart surgery. Wareham prolonged his residency for two years, and continued his training at the St. Francis Hospital for Cardiac Children in Roslyn, New York.

“When I got into practice, I got paid fees for doing surgery, and I thought, ‘this is really something: I have all this fun and get paid for it,’” Wareham said. “It’s like any hobby— like a little old lady knitting with her hands. It’s just a matter of [the idea that] we’re all wired to do certain things that we enjoy.”

Saving lives abroad

After his residency, in 1955, Wareham returned to Loma Linda University, where he had previously completed his initial medical training in 1937. He performed the first open heart surgery at the school in 1958. For 22 years, Wareham served as chief of cardiothoracic surgery until he retired at age 74— two years later than the typical maximum retirement age for cardiothoracic surgeons at the medical college.

In the 1960s, Wareham traveled with a team of doctors and nurses, including his wife, Barbara Wareham, a nurse, to train surgeons with the International Heart Institute. Among their destinations were Pakistan, Greece and Saudi Arabia— where, prior to the Loma Linda University Overseas Heart Surgery Team, many people who needed these operations often died.

“Here in America, say California, if a person comes to me and I don’t do surgery on him, he can go down the street and get it done by somebody else,” Wareham said. “But in most countries, there was no way for them to have heart surgery. If they had money, they’d go abroad to England or the U.S. It was a very challenging situation, and the people were very grateful.”

Training the future of medicine

Dr. Leonard Bailey, the famous surgeon who transplanted a baboon heart into a baby at Loma Linda University in 1984, trained under Ellsworth Wareham as a medical student in the late 1960s. The child, Baby Fae, was born prematurely with hypoplastic left heart syndrome, and Bailey’s historic yet controversial surgery made international headlines.

“I think if there was anyone in this industry that influenced me the most, it would be Dr. Wareham,” Bailey, 72, told FoxNews.com. “During my freshman year as a medical student, I ran up to the hospital and watched him teach a young surgeon how to close a hole in the heart, and this confirmed my impressions and opinion, and I thought, ‘That’s something I wanted to do.’”

Wareham was the one who encouraged Bailey— now, a distinguished professor of pediatrics and surgery and surgeon-in-chief at Loma Linda University Children’s Hospital— to study child heart surgery in the first place.

“He sort of shepherded my career path in a direction that I really wanted to go, but didn’t know how to go about doing it without him,” said Bailey, who has been practicing surgery since 1976.

When asked to describe Wareham, Bailey said he was a “no-compromise surgeon.”

“He taught us from the opposite side of the table, so we learned how to operate properly. If a single stitch was not up to his standards, we did it over— I learned that from him, and I also learned how to be a gentleman. I just never saw him bluesy. He understood his emotions very well. He was almost better under stress than when things were relaxed.”

The two things Wareham is most proud of are teaching and traveling with the Overseas Heart Surgery Team.

“The training of the people is the most rewarding experience,” Wareham said. “You can duplicate yourself. You can do better than duplicate yourself. I would say the majority of the fellows I trained were more capable than I— more talented than I. They did superb work.”

Building the Wareham legacy

Ellsworth and Barbara Wareham met at Glendale Adventist Hospital in 1948, when Ellsworth, 35, was a resident in surgery, and Barbara, 21, was a nursing student.

“Once I went out with him, the younger men didn’t quite do it,” Barbara, 86, told FoxNews.com. “He arrived at the door with flowers and tickets to the Light Opera. I thought he was a keeper at the time.”

Barbara and Ellsworth raised their five children on a 40-acre apple orchard in Oak Glen, Calif., about 22 miles from Loma Linda University. In tasking their children help maintain the orchard—tending to the irrigation and sorting the crops for merchants— Barbara and Ellsworth, both of whom grew up on farms, hoped to teach them the importance of hard work and self-sufficiency.

Today, two of their children are attorneys, two are doctors and one works for the American Red Cross.

“When they left for college, that was the end of their farming career,” Barbara joked.

Julie Wareham, 59, the Warehams’ only daughter, is a psychiatrist in Oak Glen, Calif. As a child, she would shadow her father in the surgical unit at Loma Linda University, and as a teenager, she would sit in on his surgeries during a time when patient privacy laws like the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) were lax.

“I just remember him reassuring the family members of people that are cut from stem to stern when they do those coronary bypass surgeries, and just reassuring the family and how soft-spoken he was,” Julie Wareham told FoxNews.com. “He was a very good teacher from what his residents and fellows would say— he made it look really easy. Teaching was what he really enjoyed doing.”

Life after the operating room

Each day, Wareham gets eight or nine hours of rest, wakes up at 5 a.m., eats two meals— always whole-wheat cereal with almond milk for breakfast— exercises, and spends time with his family. He continues to refrain from consuming animal products, referring to a study out of the Cleveland Clinic that found heart disease could be stopped by adopting a low-fat, vegan diet.

“If your cholesterol is under 150, your chances of getting a heart attack are very low,” Wareham said. “My cholesterol is 117. I wouldn’t even bother getting an electrocardiogram (EKG) if I had chest pain. One-third of people in the U.S. will die of coronary heart disease. If you can prevent it, it’s worthwhile.”

While Wareham enjoys retirement, he said there doesn’t seem to be much free time.

“I will read quite a bit, and I do my own landscaping pretty much. I trim my bushes and mow my lawn, and I get my physical exercise that way,” he said. “There would be people who wouldn’t cut a blade of grass because they don’t enjoy it, but I enjoy trimming my grass.”

And although he still holds a tangential interest in medicine during retirement, Wareham said he no longer studies it. But one could argue that his penchant for healthy living and intricate knowledge of the human body may have given the centenarian a leg up on longevity.

Wareham doesn’t use a cane and has always opted for stairs instead of taking the elevator. He cites research out of Stanford University from about 25 years ago that suggested a 46 percent decreased incidence of death by heart disease by climbing a flight of stairs 20 times per week. A clipping of the study is pasted on the stairwell in his home, he said.

Jason Wareham, one Wareham’s eight grandchildren— and the only one among Wareham’s children and grandchildren to join the U.S. Armed Forces— described his grandfather as someone who leads by example.

“I would not be who or what I am today if he hadn’t been around,” Jason Wareham, 34, a major in the Marine Corps based in Washington D.C., told FoxNews.com. “He described heart surgery as a collection of small tasks done well. That phrase has always been present for me in my life as I’ve taken on challenges.”

Jason, an appellate defense attorney for the Marines, was deployed once in Afghanistan from October 2010 to May 2011. When Jason was first commissioned to the Marine Corps, Ellsworth pinned on his Second Lieutenant bars.

“He wore his naval uniform from World War II,” Jason said, “and of course it still fit.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 100 year old vegan reveals secrets of longevity
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 02, 2015 04:52AM

He was a 7th Day Adventist so even before he went vegan his diet was pretty good.

He had meaningful work. He had a purpose. He saved lives. This provides powerful impetus to maintain one's body and brain.

In his 5th decade he went vegan. He might have done even better if he had gone raw and earlier.

Nonetheless I am grateful to be reminded of his story. He has videos on youtube. He is impressive in his 90s.

He is about as good as it gets without miracles, fantastic genes, or mostly raw.

I wish I could stick around to see how well John Kohler does but as he is significantly younger than I am I may never know. At any rate I wish him at least 120 good years.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 02, 2015 06:18AM

At the age of 100, Wareham still does all of his own yard work and climbs up and down the stairs in his two-story home.

Today, two of their children are attorneys, two are doctors and one works for the American Red Cross.

Wareham doesn’t use a cane and has always opted for stairs instead of taking the elevator.

What does he eat for lunch?

Each day, Wareham gets eight or nine hours of rest, wakes up at 5 a.m., eats two meals— always whole-wheat cereal with almond milk for breakfast

Wow he is a 7th day adventist, woah. My mom got sucked into them for a while. She wanted me to speak about raw veganism at their church since they are supposed to be following a veggie diet.

Maintaining his good health has no doubt been made easier due to the ideals of Wareham’s religion and community. Loma Linda has one of the highest concentrations of Seventh-Day Adventists in the world, and living a healthy lifestyle is the faith’s main ideal. The town has banned smoking, and alcohol is scarcely sold. As a result, Loma Linda is the only so-called “Blue Zone” of the U.S., an area where men and women live measurably longer lives than the average American.

Wareham himself adopted a vegan diet in midlife after reading research that showed animal protein raises cholesterol. He credits his good health— and his clearness of mind, the thing he’s most grateful for today— in large part to that decision.

So it is religion driven...

I was fascinated when I read that, thanks. Is he cute for 100, can you post some links to his youtube , your faves?

Hey there are a lot of raw friendly recipes on this website
7thdayadventist

Wow. I did not know 7th day adventists were raw vegan friendly. I know they have veggie potlucks but not all raw, no?

If anyone is spiritual its me. My grandaddy a pastor and I was raised Catholic and was in love with my priest my whole childhood. He was so dreamy, Italian priest with long hair. I googled him the other day. Still painting. He is an artist. I love the whole catholic ritual. I love morning mass. It would be really hard for me to get back into something mainstream. I am obsessed with hypnotherapy, they call it quantum hypnotherapy and it is a religion to me. I do not even know if 7th day adventists are christians...are they? Whats their thing....their truth? I need something to funnel all my psychic energy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 06:29AM by coconutcream.

Date: January 02, 2015 01:43PM

Here he is at 98. He is a cutie.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 02, 2015 02:03PM

Wrinkles and everything. He looked very old for his age.

Date: January 02, 2015 02:13PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I wish I could stick around to see how well John
> Kohler does but as he is significantly younger
> than I am I may never know.

It will be interesting to see how people like Brian Clement, Lou Corona and other long term raw fooders go. I was crushed when Ann Wigmore passed away from smoke inhalation, she was raw for almost 40 years and was up in years, so it would have been great if she kept on going past 100 to show us all what a living food diet can do for people. Will have to wait another 30 years or more to see how the current long term raw vegans fare in really old age, but l am particularly interested in the living food vegans. Actually, Gabriel Coisens is around 70, but still a few more decades to wait.

Just imagine how great it would be if generations started thriving on raw vegan diets and it started to catch on.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 02:17PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: January 02, 2015 02:30PM

The wrinkles are largely from sun exposure and a little bit from bone loss.

Since most vegans eschew sunscreen and worship the sun, their faces will be pretty messed up when they get that old.

The amount of damage an average person can take without accumulating is about 2.54 minutes per person per day.

This is why the ones of African descent fare the best--they have built-in SPF, up to SPF 30.

People with the darkest skins (Annette Larkins, Storm) do better in the face department than the paler ones (Karyn Calabrese).

And Lou Corono will be better looking at 80 than a Freckly redhead or blonde with blue eyes.

But even without wrinkles there are still visual cues that a person is older. The eye will fixate on the one giveaway. Some women get facelifts but neglect their necks and hands. Some people develop a cloudiness in the eyes. The nose and ears get bigger. The distance between the upper lip and the nose gets bigger. The mandible recedes. The eye sockets enlarge. Etc.

There is only so much you can do to impede this process--that is to say, not very much. One can only to slow down this rate of decay, but not stop it completely.

Date: January 02, 2015 02:40PM

Here's a 100-yo Greek guy from Ikaria. He smoked 20 cigs a day for 70 years. He has a nice strong jaw and his skin does not look totally messed up. He walks 4 hilly km per day. He takes naps every day.

The Ikarian diet includes beans and not much meat or refined sugar. They eat a lot of locally grown and wild greens, potatoes, and goat's milk. They also drink a lot of red wine.

They drink a lot of herb tea and small quantities of coffee; daily calorie consumption is not high.

But there is one other thing that might contribute to longevity. These people suffered during the German occupation of WWII. A lot of people starved to death. Going through a period of reduced calories while maintaining high vitamin and mineral intakes (from their wild greens) might have contributed somewhat to their genomic stability.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 02, 2015 02:43PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Wrinkles and everything. He looked very old for
> his age.

I've noticed that M.D.s who spend a lot of their waking time in surgical suites seem to age faster. They rarely get much sleep and are exposed to a lot more radiation and toxic chemicals than most people are.

Date: January 02, 2015 02:50PM

Stress, too.

At my age I can't overemphasize the importance of leading a low-stress life.

I would never be happy as an MD, let alone a surgeon at that. I would absolutely not want that kind of responsibility in a life-death matter every day, multiple times per day, for decades.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: January 02, 2015 02:58PM

I am not sure it is the job. It is the mental disposition.
Physicians are saving lives, it is a rewarding experience.
It is true many die but many more are saved and that alone can bring a lot of joy.
With the current knowledge we gained on raw nutrition and exercise, about 50 years from now, we will many over 100 wrinkle free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 02:59PM by CommonSenseRaw.

Date: January 02, 2015 03:03PM

SueZ Wrote:

>
> I've noticed that M.D.s who spend a lot of their
> waking time in surgical suites seem to age faster.
> They rarely get much sleep and are exposed to a
> lot more radiation and toxic chemicals than most
> people are.

I have also heard that dentists don't live a long time on average either. The reason stated is that they are breathing in mercury from putting in amalgam/mercury fillings.

arugula Wrote:
> Stress, too.

That's a big one. That's one of my core principles to try and live by...to avoid stress. Dosing up on bucketloads of B vitamins via sprouts (especially sprouted seeds and greens) and algaes is a priority for this reason, because some testing has apparently shown that some stressed people use up to 10 times the B vitamin rda, use more than the rda for B12 etc. We also need the omega 3's in good amounts and good levels of magnesium to calm the nerves.

I find a 100% highly nutritious raw vegan diet is excellent for stress management. This is coming from a man who was once the king of being stressed, now it is almost non existant, so l have come a long LONG way to be able to make complete turn arounds in many things.

>
> At my age I can't overemphasize the importance of
> leading a low-stress life.

Yes, it seems to be the people who worry and get stressed that get sick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 03:10PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: January 02, 2015 03:38PM

More cerebral types are usually not interested at all in becoming raw vegans yet, I've noticed. Hopefully the raw oils will draw more of them to give this diet a try. I'm working on a few of them now.

Date: January 02, 2015 03:46PM

Mado, a great deal of the pro-veg*n peer-reviewed literature comes from the 7th day Adventists.

They are Protestants. This is what I find most interesting about their beliefs:

Wholistic human nature —Humans are an indivisible unity of body, mind, and spirit. They do not possess an immortal soul and there is no consciousness after death.

There are 101 health studies on them in pubmed; they tend to do very well compared to the general population and many of them are vegetarian or vegan.

Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: January 02, 2015 06:25PM

A few years back, I got interested in Dr. St. Louis Estes, who was formerly a licensed dentist (so came by his Dr. title legitimately), and later got into the raw food field, & became quite well-known in the 1920ties, 30ties, though pretty much forgotten today. He has a Wikipedia page that I have contributed to.

By his first marriage, he had 3 children, then divorced, and by his second, 12. These latter 12 (which were born between 1922 & 1937) were raised from birth to eat nothing but raw foods. The group went along with Mother & Father on lecture tours throughout the US. In fact I have a front page photograph from our local newspaper where the then Oakland, CA Chief of Police has a tray full of fruits & vegetables which he is serving to the kiddies when the Estes Family was here during a lecture tour in the 1930ties. Both Time & Life Magazines featured the family in one of their issues.

After we had done the back & future stories on Mom & Dad, my genealogy "associate" & I decided to see if we could find out what eventually happened to the 12 children. Because of the strange names they were given, not to mention marriages & divorces, it was challenging to say the least, but I was surprised to find that most died in their fairly early in their 50ties & 60ties. A few were still apparently alive, and only one we couldn't account for.

In the end, the whole Estes Family was an interesting study in the longevity subject.

Date: January 02, 2015 06:45PM

Interesting story, thanks for sharing.
It would be good to know what they were eating as raw. Their daily diet and what did they die from, or did they continued to remain on the diet after leaving home.
Some issues with early rawfoodists were the heavy reliance on beans and tofu.
We now know you cannot get far with these foods.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 06:47PM by CommonSenseRaw.

Date: January 02, 2015 07:23PM

KFCA Wrote:
> A few years back, I got interested in Dr. St.
> Louis Estes, who was formerly a licensed dentist
> (so came by his Dr. title legitimately), and later
> got into the raw food field, & became quite
> well-known in the 1920ties, 30ties, though pretty
> much forgotten today. He has a Wikipedia page
> that I have contributed to.
>
> By his first marriage, he had 3 children, then
> divorced, and by his second, 12. These latter 12
> (which were born between 1922 & 1937) were raised
> from birth to eat nothing but raw foods. The
> group went along with Mother & Father on lecture
> tours throughout the US. In fact I have a front
> page photograph from our local newspaper where the
> then Oakland, CA Chief of Police has a tray full
> of fruits & vegetables which he is serving to the
> kiddies when the Estes Family was here during a
> lecture tour in the 1930ties. Both Time & Life
> Magazines featured the family in one of their
> issues.
>
> After we had done the back & future stories on Mom
> & Dad, my genealogy "associate" & I decided to see
> if we could find out what eventually happened to
> the 12 children. Because of the strange names they
> were given, not to mention marriages & divorces,
> it was challenging to say the least, but I was
> surprised to find that most died in their fairly
> early in their 50ties & 60ties. A few were still
> apparently alive, and only one we couldn't account
> for.
>
> In the end, the whole Estes Family was an
> interesting study in the longevity subject.

Thanks, KFCA, I think,lol. What happened, and when, to the three kids from the first marriage? How many of the dozen kids from the raw vegan second marriage died from diabetes complications?

Date: January 02, 2015 07:31PM

Don't know the answers to your questions, as except for both Dr. & Mrs. Estes, where I have death cert. or autopsy abstracts, don't know the causes of death or how they ate after leaving home. (They seemed to return to the Estes Family Compound after divorces though---a Very Odd Family). All the deaths we found were in California except for one daughter who died, again fairly young, in Hawaii. From what I've read, the children ate only raw fruits & vegetables; no mention was made of things like tofu nor beans.

Date: January 02, 2015 07:31PM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:

> Some issues with early rawfoodists were the heavy
> reliance on beans and tofu.
> We now know you cannot get far with these foods.

I think you must be talking about vegans instead of raw vegans eating beans and tofu as beans are almost always cooked and tofu always is.

The Estes most likely were getting their raw calories mostly from fruit - at least that's what I'm personally hoping to hear - as opposed to eating high fat raw vegan. If they were high fat vegans I'm heading out for a carton of eggs...

Date: January 02, 2015 07:36PM

You are right, I totally misrepresented the facts.

Date: January 02, 2015 08:04PM

SueZ: I don't know what happened to Dr. Estes' daughters from his first marriage. That family never lived in California (that I know of) where it's easier to track. His son, Estes, Jr., if I recall correctly, died in Michigan at a fairly advanced age. The first Mrs. Estes, who was several years older than Dr. Estes (who, of course, was much younger than he claimed), died circa 1935. Apparently never remarried. Check the Wikipedia page if you haven't already.

BTW, my Los Angeles genealogy associate, personally checked out the long-time Estes Compound, and it's now, needless to say, a large condo complex.

Date: January 02, 2015 08:11PM

I bet they would have lived longer if the had incorporated some raw milk into their diet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 08:12PM by CommonSenseRaw.

Date: January 02, 2015 08:12PM

KFCA Wrote:
> Don't know the answers to your questions, as
> except for both Dr. & Mrs. Estes, where I have
> death cert. or autopsy abstracts, don't know the
> causes of death or how they ate after leaving
> home. (They seemed to return to the Estes Family
> Compound after divorces though---a Very Odd
> Family). All the deaths we found were in
> California except for one daughter who died, again
> fairly young, in Hawaii. From what I've read, the
> children ate only raw fruits & vegetables; no
> mention was made of things like tofu nor beans.

Good Lord, KFCA, the guy's yet another in the long heritage of lying sack of shite raw vegan gurus.

"Estes was born in Missouri and died in Los Angeles County, California at age 75 years. (California Death Index). When interviewed for newspaper and magazine articles in the 1920s–1930s he claimed to be approximately 15 years older than records show that he actually was."

"Estes slipped and fell around the large pool at the family Spanish compound in Van Nuys, California. He fell into a coma and never recovered. According to his death certificate (Los Angeles County D/C #6879), and due to his service in the Spanish–American War, Estes died at the Veterans Administration Hospital, West Los Angeles, California, Pursuant to an autopsy, his "Cause of death" was "Bronchopneumonia, terminal", "Contributing cause: Generalized arteriosclerosis", and "Other: Malnutrition, severe". He and his wife, Esther Estes, who died of breast cancer in 1963 (Los Angeles City D/C #8247), are buried at Holy Cross Cemetery, Culver City, California. (See Find-A-Grave website)"

St. Louis Estes - really? (if that's his real name maybe the insanity was congenital.)

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: January 02, 2015 09:02PM

As to that last Wikipedia paragraph re the Estes's demises, all except the first sentence were my contribution. Somebody else put the slipped at the swimming pool & went into an unrecovered-from-coma afterward. Since Dr. Estes's autopsy report abstract makes no mention of an accident being either the principal cause or contributing causes of his death (or he being in any sort of coma) I don't know how reliable that statement is, but I guess (alleged at this point) accidents are the better way for health gurus to go.

Unfortunately, there WAS one very sad accident regarding the Estes swimming pool. According to Van Nuys newspaper coverage, one of the Estes' daughters was living back at home following her divorce, and her young son & a neighbor boy of about the same age were both found drowned in the Estes swimming pool. This happened in 1951.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 09:08PM by KFCA.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 02, 2015 09:12PM

arugula Wrote:
> He had meaningful work. He had a purpose. He saved
> lives. This provides powerful impetus to maintain
> one's body and brain.

This adds a social group reason to success. but if you feel good you don't need social purpose or social aceptance. They help but they are not a necessity. All you need is to feel good and keep going. Many people look for external causes when they don't feel good as justification. For example, some raw fooders may blame the lack of belonging to a community to a possible diet failure. This is only a belief that may lurk for a long time since it is difficult to prove.

Date: January 03, 2015 06:57AM

Dixie La Madora, one of Dr. Estes' 6 daughters from his second marriage, has a YouTube presence under her name. This was from 2009, which was about the time we were researching the family. Don't know if she's still alive, but you might enjoy viewing it.

Date: January 03, 2015 12:40PM

Ok, I found it. mEdora...

[www.youtube.com]

Reminds me of another haunting vegan guru classic the "Green Smoothie Song"

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 03, 2015 02:03PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Ok, I found it. mEdora...
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
>
> Reminds me of another haunting vegan guru classic
> the "Green Smoothie Song"
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Oh God. There's another one...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 03, 2015 10:53PM

Unfortunately, though Dr. Estes was making somewhere in the neighborhood of $100,000 per year in the 1930ties & likely a little earlier, according to newspaper coverage of the day, he declared bankruptcy in Los Angeles in March of 1941, listing his debts as $245,369 (including an unpaid Fed income tax bill of $104,000) and assets of $4,400. (which assets he claimed included $600 in supplies of raw food and honey).

I guess that must have broken his spirit, as I could find no further newspaper stories mentioning him beyond that date until his 1951 death. He went from literally being all over the place to being a Forgotten Man in a space of about 15 years.

BTW, in some of the 1930-era stories, he did mention that the family ate nuts & honey, as well as the uncooked fruits & vegetables.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 04, 2015 03:09AM

The Green Smoothie song SUEZ hahahaha they look so funny

About Estes:
Sounds like a mysterious death and possible conspiracy against this man.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables