Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mosquitoes! Arrgh!!
Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: June 05, 2009 05:25AM

Are there any foods in particular to ward off mosquito bites? I know some raw foodists say that mosquitos stopped biting them after they were raw for a while... but I'm not 100% raw just yet. Any body found anything that really helps?

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mosquitoes! Arrgh!!
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 05, 2009 09:41AM

I read somewhere that citrus fruit was good - esp grapefruit. Also using citronella oil. I think it seems to be worse when you go to a new place, eg when you go on vacation, they seem to like 'fresh blood'... If you live in the same place they seem to calm down after a few months, or maybe you build up a resistance to them... who knows..

Posted by: rawne ()
Date: June 05, 2009 11:22AM

I live in a sub-tropical climate on the water & although I've been 100% raw for thirteen years, they still feast on me if given the chance. If you're willing to use an effective topical, try Basic H. Not sure what's in it but Shaklee makes it (it must be the original formula, not Basic H2.) The other topicals I've tried are worthless.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: June 06, 2009 03:08AM

hmm - well, I like grapefruit, so I will give that a try. I will probably order some of that Basic H too. I just don't feel comfortable with deet, breastfeeding and all... or just in general, even if I wasn't. Thank you for the suggestions!

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 06, 2009 05:18AM

I've done quite a bit of research into this and there really are no herbal-type remedies or repellents that work well. Your best bet (in my experience) is just to suit up in all over heavier cotton clothes....and gloves....along with a hat and net in really stiff areas. This is the only really effective (and simple) method other than DEET.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 06, 2009 05:19AM

Of course...if your not against buying the stuff....you could always just spray some DEET on just your clothes. This would provide some measure of protection while limiting exposure to the stuff on your skin. Just some suggestions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 06, 2009 12:45PM

angie1,

[www.gaiam.com]

[www.gaiam.com]

I know there are other things out there; I recall seeing somewhere these plant-oil based wipes from southern Africa(they know mosquitos!), but I cannot recall where. Good luck in a search!

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: June 06, 2009 12:53PM

Eating raw garlic works for me. I now can will be out and will be the only one not bitten. Before I attracted them more than anyone.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 06, 2009 03:21PM

angie--
I've never found anything that works. We go camping on an island every summer where the mosquitoes come out around 9pm every night, so we just head for the tent around 8:45. We tried 'natural' mosquitocides, essential oils (peppermint?-- can't remember), etc. over many years of camping, and finally gave up and decided to just live peacably with the little critters.

I don't get bitten nearly as much as my husband; I think it's because his oxygen level goes way up (that's a known attractor) when he works really hard all around the campsite (much more than me), cutting out stickers, fixing stakes and tightening lines, etc. I tend to sit at the table more, tending to food, doing beadwork, etc. So when he huffs and puffs and sweats, the mosquitoes are attracted to him like a magnet.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: kollie ()
Date: June 07, 2009 03:08AM

hi.
i agree with david, I have a lightweight long sleeve t-shirt and pants, that i sprayed with deet. I keep it a plastic bag when not in use. I use them when I go out to pick my tomatoes. It does work pretty well. You could try just a tank top or something (with deet) and wear it on top of your other clothes. As far as not biting because your raw, I don't believe that.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: June 07, 2009 04:07PM

Apparently garlic only works for me?? Very weird since I use to have the worst time of anyone I knew with mosquitoes. Oh well, guess I will just enjoy it. smiling smiley

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: June 08, 2009 05:17PM

I just love the little buggers.. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables