Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Diabetes and Raw
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: June 07, 2009 04:17PM

Howdy all you lovely people!

I've been high raw since May 11th. The only thing not raw has been walnuts and I don't eat a lot of them. I have a good mix of fruits and veggies going and am feeling better...MUCH better.

However... My blood sugar numbers aren't dipping. I'm very discouraged by this. I've seen a lot of talk of raw curing type 2 diabetes in 30 days. I went off my meds for a week after being raw 3 weeks and my neuropathy pain in my left foot came back with a vengence so I was hobbling and couldn't exercise and my blood sugars averaged about 150-170. I'm not eating a lot of agave or anything.

I chose to go back on the meds so I could walk w/o pain. Hmmm... I'm irritated.

These things have changed:
Constipation - gone
Bloating - gone
Stomach "paralysis" - gone
Blemishes - gone
15 lbs gone

So I am immensley grateful for these changes. But the dang diabetes... I'm thinking about trying to cut my meds in half at the end of this month.

Anybody with experience in this?

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2009 04:18PM by wendysmiling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diabetes and Raw
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 07, 2009 09:49PM

I can't comment on the meds, but you might want to consult with your doctor.

As for getting healthier, those symptoms that have disappeared are definitely a sign of improved health. The first 3 symptoms are signs of impaired digestion, which means your body is expending less energy nowadays to digest your meals.

As for lowering blood sugars, what helps is to reduce your fat intake until you get the desired results in your blood sugars. Cutting back on oils, nuts, seeds, butters, etc will help your body deal with blood sugars more efficiently. If you need fats to feel full, you might try eating more greens as well as more higher calorie sweet fruits.

Posted by: streambeam ()
Date: June 08, 2009 01:38AM

I know alittle bit about this since I am a diabetic and was having the same exact problem u r having now. No one was able to help me, becuz the reality is that very few raw foodist are diabetic. I had to figure stuff out on my own. Here's wat happened for me.

When I started raw november of 08, my sugars were above 350, and thats 100% raw! I saw no improvement for months, until I did wat bryan suggested to u. Cut back drasticly on ur fat intake, eat low glycemic fruits and DO NOT STOP TAKING UR MEDS. Bryan is exactly right, fats hinder ur bodies ability to process sugar. It took me months to figure this out, but eventually ur body will begin to heal and ur sugars will begin to come down. By continuing to take ur meds, u allow ur body the time it needs to begin healing, gradually you will notice ur sugars will begin to come down and you will begin to be able to lower ur diabetes meds.

But most important of all, you can not rush the process! No matter how much you want to heal, ur body will heal when it is ready. If I had known this It would have saved me such heartache. I was so frustrated becuz nothing happened for me and i saw the months pass with no improvement. All i can say is stick with it, it will happen for you. My sugar levels are now near normal 120-150, I still take meds, though half of my regular dosage, and soon I will be off them completely, but now I know it will take time.

Hoping this helps you in some small way. Wishing you all the luck in the world, from the bottom of my heart. Much Love, Streambeam

P.s. tho ur sugars are similar to mine, take into account I am an extremely overweight man, so what is high for ur body type is very different for me. : )

Date: June 08, 2009 11:33AM

Thanks for the responses. I have been reading a lot about the fat issue and believe it to be true. It's weird to me though, that fat with meat (ie Atkins) caused my sugar to become completely normal within 2 months many years ago when I was eating low carb. It remained normal until I started taking my cortisone.

Sometimes I wish I was a chemist, just because I'm curious. Plant based fats with plants hinders blood sugar dropping, yet nasty meats & processed oils promote it(while causing lots of other health yuckies). You know what's interesting though, personally I think it was the low carb diet that caused my stomach paralysis. I saw it happen to several people. I'm so happy to have that behind me now!!

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: frances ()
Date: June 08, 2009 12:29PM

Wendy,

Do you feel that your blood sugar dropped on the Atkins diet because of the animal fat vs plant fat dynamic? I would have assumed that it was the extreme low carbohydrates that did it. If all the sugar you have in your system are the sugars your body converts from fat itself, then that may have put a stressful but effective cap on your sugar levels.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 08, 2009 01:37PM

frances is right, Wendy. Animal fat in the presence of carbohydrate is clinically shown to be waaaayyyy more detrimental to blood sugar regulation than plant fats are. In the absence of food carb intake and in the absence of hunger, a high fat/protein diet would appear to lower blood sugar, but only because these nutrients wouldn't be "competing" with carbs, so to speak. But as Bryan says, plant fats don't help either, in a sugar disorder condition.

Personally, I am amazed at how much your digestion has improved. It's wonderful! As we all know, good digestive functioning is a key to attaining health everywhere else in the body. Give it some time, and it will happen, I do believe : )

Date: June 08, 2009 05:33PM

I'll continue my meds. My doctor like most is an idiot and doesn't believe I should eat even vegetarian, not to mention raw because "I won't get enough protien". He wants me to low carb which isn't going to happen.

Patience is a virtue. :-)

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: June 08, 2009 06:08PM

I'm assuming you are a type 2...You might want to start out with this program and get stabilized.

[www.nealbarnard.org]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 08, 2009 07:52PM

C. Dove,

Ah, I love Doctor Barnard. I heard him speak in D.C. a few years ago, and he struck me as both knowledgeable and compassionate. His organization is doing much to popularize the concept of healing disorders with a vegetarian diet.

Wendy,

Ask your doctor how many nutrition courses he's taken and then go, "hmmm." It communicates "back off," without being rude or even obvious. Someone really needs to put the medical profession back in its place, I tell ya.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables